News 'Beyond Big Thunder Mountain' Blue Sky concept revealed for Magic Kingdom

UNCgolf

I'm a huge fan of putting Shanghai POTC in DHS and then removing the Jack Sparrow elements to MK POTC. The rides are certainly different enough to have both (esp in different parks)

I'd personally prefer to see them use the Shanghai POTC system for something else that would let them fix the flaws in the existing ride -- it relies too heavily on film segments, which holds it back from being a truly great attraction IMO -- but I'd certainly take it over nothing at DHS.

Last edited:

J4546

a massive water ride at DHS would be a great addition as it has none. And entire treasure cove style area would be awesome esp with Camp Discovery, but I dont want 2 PotC. I still think they shoulda built a new toontown in that area when they designed MMRR and also build a 1 off water based major attraction for Donald/Daisy as well....plus all the houses and play area and a couple small rides.

doctornick

a massive water ride at DHS would be a great addition as it has none. And entire treasure cove style area would be awesome esp with Camp Discovery, but I dont want 2 PotC. I still think they shoulda built a new toontown in that area when they designed MMRR and also build a 1 off water based major attraction for Donald/Daisy as well....plus all the houses and play area and a couple small rides.
Why not? They are two completely different rides and experiences. It doesn't seem that odd for a particular popular IP to have multiple attractions - there's three Star Wars rides at DHS for example - why can't POTC carry two in all of WDW?

Fox&Hound

The only place Zootopia should be going is at the Studios. It is a fully immersive land that has no place in AK or MK and fits the “mission statement” of DHS.

And DHS needs it WAY more.
The problem is the ride vehicle and structure is so similar to Mickey’s and Rise that it would seem too repetitive. I agree the land would work nicely there but three trackless rides in the same park is a lot.

Fox&Hound

I just wish Disney had a big picture plan. It seems like they keep thinking short term where they should put a hot IP but there is absolutely no five year, ten year, twenty year plan.

I have so many hopes for Beyond Big Thunder but today’s Disney will waste the space cause they dont seem to have any rhyme or reason why rides and experiences are being placed where they are.

UNCgolf

The problem is the ride vehicle and structure is so similar to Mickey’s and Rise that it would seem too repetitive. I agree the land would work nicely there but three trackless rides in the same park is a lot.

I don't think having multiple trackless rides really matters -- MMRR and Rise are both trackless but they're not remotely similar attractions. A park could have 6 or 7 trackless rides (or omnimovers, or boat rides, etc.) and that would be fine as long as the content (far more important than the actual ride system) was sufficiently different. There are numerous parks that are almost entirely roller coasters and that's not generally considered a problem.

The Zootopia ride just doesn't look especially good, though. It has a few places where it gets somewhat interesting... and then you go watch a movie.

Fox&Hound

As much as Zootopia really does not make sense for MK, I can see why they might want to add a trackless ride there. Should be a big people eater and unlike the Radiator Springs Racer ride it is all indoors. But like another poster said, a police themed ride seems weird given their recent changes to Splash.

Fox&Hound

I don't think having multiple trackless rides really matters -- MMRR and Rise are both trackless but they're not remotely similar attractions. A park could have 6 or 7 trackless rides (or omnimovers, or boat rides, etc.) and that would be fine as long as the content (far more important than the actual ride system) was sufficiently different. There are numerous parks that are almost entirely roller coasters and that's not generally considered a problem.

The Zootopia ride just doesn't look especially good, though. It has a few places where it gets somewhat interesting... and then you go watch a movie.
And for that reason it feels too similar to Mickey’s. I agree Rise is its own thing entirely. But even Zootopia steals the drop sequence from Rise. Major changes would need to happen if brought to the studios which I would argue negates cloning it.

ChewbaccaYourMum

I'm a huge fan of putting Shanghai POTC in DHS and then removing the Jack Sparrow elements to MK POTC. The rides are certainly different enough to have both (esp in different parks)
I have been wanting this for soooo long. I've even went as far as saying just put Shanghai's Pirates next to our Pirates in that huge plot of land between Jungle Cruise and Pirates. Just anything to get it over here lol!

Rich Brownn

I know they remake films that don’t really need them from a story perspective because they print money, but you’re totally right that there’s a couple movies like Atlantis that make a lot of sense to remake. Hunchback and Treasure Planet are the other two movies that could really stand to benefit as well.

I genuinely don’t have a problem with franchise movies if they’re good. I really wish more of the remakes were fresh takes like A Star is Born or prequel/sequels like Cruella than unwatchable, uninspired rip-off movies like the Lion King remake.
Treasure Planet was such a huge bomb I'm pretty sure it isn't on their mind for a remake anytime soon. (For the record, I liked it, but felt in didn't lean into using the "in space" idea very much.)

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
A Maleficent castle coaster. A Hades River Styx boat ride. A ride in the Cave of Wonders.
I don't think there's a single concept in general, IP or not, that as many Disney fans as possible can get behind.

With Epic Universe on the way and doing a Monsters land, I'm sure Disney will do it, it's just a matter of when.

2027? 2030?
Epic Mickey is coming back, they could do something with the Blot.
I'd love Epic Mickey to be included in some way, the lore in that game is unreal.

Last edited:

Brer Panther

I'd prefer something based on ancient Greece/Rome with a ride based on Hercules and other mythological ideas (e.g ride about the Odyssey, Trojan War, myths in general) which fits into the "vibe" of MK better.
Ooh, that's a great idea.

I myself had an idea for some sort of arctic-themed land, a counterpoint of sorts to the warmer climates of Adventureland and Frontierland. Imagine some sort of roller coaster (though the park probably has enough of those already) aboard a bobsled through glowing ice caverns, maybe some sort of animatronic show or dark ride with Marc Davis-style arctic animals (polar bears, reindeer, seals, etc.), a play area for kids designed to be an abandoned researchers' camp... I think there's potential there.

Or, as somebody previously suggested, just make a new Toontown.
That's why you make a new dark ride instead of the trackless one Shanghai has. I honestly think something along the lines of Roger Rabbit's Car-Toon Spin would be a better fit for the movie than a slow-moving trackless ride.
I've said this multiple times before, but I'm fed up with trackless dark rides just parking the riders in front of screens. If they want to build a simulator, don't disguise it as a dark ride.

HMF

Imagine some sort of roller coaster (though the park probably has enough of those already) aboard a bobsled through glowing ice caverns,
You mean like this?
1709174204361.png

BrianLo

In the fully selfish lens, I don't want Shanghai to lose its signature attraction.

John Favreau's Jungle Book would be perfectly viable with the ride system though and would allow for a bit more set dressing. Though that would probably be for Animal Kingdom. I'm a bit surprised the ride platform hasn't been reused in some format this far out from SDL.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom