News 'Beyond Big Thunder Mountain' Blue Sky concept revealed for Magic Kingdom

TheMaxRebo

My problem with all of it is LANDS. I'm tired of single-IP based lands. Especially if they're to be in MK.

true, don't disagree with that - one reason I got more excited about the 2nd plans for Dinoland as it was the tropical Americas with IP in it vs "Moana land"

Guess a broader "Villians Land" would be good as could be villians from various properties

yensidtlaw1969

Beyond the attitude that the parks are interchangeable and IP can just go wherever, having the same IP in multiple parks also suggests that they do not have much interest or confidence in many of their own IPs to begin with.

The Disney Vault used to be a treasure trove of content to draw from. Now, as I've said before, they seem to be only interested in around a dozen or less titles. If it's not Toy Story, Moana or Frozen it's garbage...even if it was a consistent money maker in the past or would lend itself better to a ride.
YEP. Add to that how weirdly reactive rather than proactive they seem to be about getting even big ticket IPs into the parks and it definitely seems to speak to a strange lack of confidence.

Think of TRON opening in MK more than a decade after the movie's release, Ratatouille 14 years later . . . even the Disney Renaissance films taking 2 full decades to get anything resembling a major attraction (and some of those STILL don't even have one!!)

I get that this approach spares them building attractions for movies like Bolt which don't really hit, but it also seems to deny them the ability to shape the experience of the parks with their own hand. Instead they seem to be almost exclusively chasing what the audience thinks they want, which isn't actually always the best guide.

yensidtlaw1969

Aladdin was released over 30 years ago and all we got was the same flat ride in 3 different parks :confused:
Which is wild because if any of the Disney Renaissance films served up a concept begging for a dark ride it was that one.

Imagine an alternate universe where in 1995 the MK opened Adventureland's answer to Peter Pan's Flight, with updated tech and clever Genie effects. Just dream . . .

yensidtlaw1969

There’s simply no vision. It’s just throw lands out there dedicated to single IPs instead of strategically using your IP to enhance the great mission and theme of each park.
Meanwhile they can't even seem to be bothered to properly steer the ship for the movies those lands are beholden to be based on. I enjoyed Frozen 2 for what it was, but the creatives were NOT in control of that thing. The amount of money it made seems almost despite its quality rather than because of it.

You'd think if the Studio is gonna be the source from which all rivers flow they'd at least make the effort to really nail things upfront. While it's hard to ever know what's actually gonna hit at the Box Office, you CAN commit to releasing only high-quality projects. Instead even the film studio seems to be taking the ballistic approach and expecting the parks to serve up the ones that simply happen to make money.

SpectreJordan

My problem with all of it is LANDS. I'm tired of single-IP based lands. Especially if they're to be in MK.
The proposed Latin America land would be a much better option. It would be a good transition from Big Thunder into that. You could also theme it so that it's not tied directly into Coco or Encanto incase those rides go away eventually.

Then Villains Land writes itself & again they don't have to theme it around one movie specifically.

Those two lands coming to MK seemed like a homerun to me. I hope they go through with them.

Cliff

Sadly....recent years have absolutely destroyed my confidence in Disney's ability to make anything spectacular anymore in the parks. The fact that it takes them three times longer as it should to make anything is another problem. I dont think they can manage budgets anymore either. I wonder how many zillions that Disney spent in 5 years to build that new city park area in Epcot.

MerlinTheGoat

Theme Park Stop has suggested the Monsters and Ministry of Magic dark rides will be AA heavy, so it sounds like multiple people are reporting that rumor. Pirates level is unique to the post on this site, though.
I take "AA heavy" with a heavy grain of salt. Relatively speaking, perhaps there will be a few more AA's than usual for Universal standards, but again I think an amount similar to POTC is a huge stretch. Every time a new Universal attraction is in the works, people oversell how many they will have. I've been around long enough to remember when Gringotts was supposed to have an impressive Voldemort AA according to some sources. Kong's AA's were also oversold during development. It also depends on your definition of "AA". People often mistakenly call mostly static figures AA's.

Unless this is old information, the Monsters ride is supposed to use the Kuka Arm ride system seen in Forbidden Journey. So presumably a fast paced ride with a lot of motion to the vehicles. Unless they change things up with that ride system for the Monsters variant, it's not a system that sounds like it would be likely to be mixed with a significant AA population. Forbidden Journey has a lot of physical sets, but there's not a whole lot of motion to those sets. Mostly just that one simplistic dragon figure and the Dementors (which don't really have motion of their own, but rely on the Kuka arms they're attached to along with fans blowing their cloaks to simulate motion). And i'd be hard pressed to call those "animatronics" since they have fewer axes of motion than some of the figures in classic Fantasyland dark rides.

The Ministry dark ride I think was described as similar to Tower of Terror where it can stop at different floors and even exit the vertical shaft to travel horizontally. Much like the elevator used in the Potter films. Again though, i'm hesitant to assume it will have a lot of AA's. It sounds like something they'd do with some physical setpieces but using projected characters. Kind of like the Gringotts preshow with Bill Weasley.

We already know what to expect from the Nintendo stuff. Mario Kart is physical sets with AR projections of the characters. Yoshi uses a handful of simple figures that don't qualify as AA's. The DK coaster blueprints have been leaked many times now and there's not going to be enough space for significant amounts of AA's (probably just one or two around load/unload at most along with mostly video projection). Maybe the HTTYD show will have a few AA's though, there was an existing stage show that went on tour that used some impressive puppets/AA's.

Comped

Jim's idea/news is impossible. Financially and practically. Spoke to someone who's worked in the construction industry around the parks for years (and confirmed what he said with a few others). In brief...
  • "The amount of work that would need to go into it, to drain (and likely fill in ROA), Disney might literally have to bet the house on it."
  • With their current construction practices, anywhere from $10-20 billion in costs, and several years of work.
  • Any draining and refill of the river, due to how the water system is set up, would require the long-term closure of TBA, Pirates, and Jungle Cruise. Plus the obvious permanent loss of the river attractions. At minimum.
  • And that is if you don't touch the utilidoors, which absolutely would need work because of such an effort. Not even counting the certain temporary need to relocate/replace the capabilities of the cardboard balers, a welding shop, and several other bits of the utilidoors along that section.
  • HM, Big Thunder, CBJ, Tiki, and Aladdin, possibly Hall of Presidents, would all likely follow in terms of temporary closures because of the infrastructure efforts needed above and below - although this is not 100% certain (if they don't touch belowground, they can likely skip this step and make it a far less impactful closure set, even if this means future issues).
Disney cannot afford it. They cannot afford it financially, nor can they afford to lose 3 E-tickets at mimimum, and several others potentially, plus multiple dining and shopping venues, for a half-decade or more. It would possibly require one of the largest logistical efforts Disney's delt with in decades, and potentially close down half the bloody park to do so. Nobody would pay to go to MK when they cannot ride 3 major rides, let alone half the rides in the park if that's needed... That's before the land(s) get(s) built!

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Just spoke with someone in the know...I don't often claim this, but I actually spoke to someone with firsthand knowledge (see discussion of when TRON was going to open if you don't believe my source's track record). I've posted a couple other tidbits of what they shared in other threads.

There is a proposal that is close to getting funding for "Beyond Big Thunder" and it's...not any of the three previously discussed ideas. They would not tell me over pain of death what the IP it's centered on is, but in their opinion, it doesn't fit and is one of the worst possible things they could be adding to Magic Kingdom. And it definitely is NOT Villains' Land.

Again, not approved or funded yet, but getting close.
Well, we know it's not Indiana Jones, and it's back behind The Wildest Ride In The West, so I'm going to guess it's the cows from Home On The Range...

MerlinTheGoat

Jim's idea/news is impossible. Financially and practically. Spoke to someone who's worked in the construction industry around the parks for years (and confirmed what he said with a few others). In brief...
  • "The amount of work that would need to go into it, to drain (and likely fill in ROA), Disney might literally have to bet the house on it."
  • With their current construction practices, anywhere from $10-20 billion in costs, and several years of work.
  • Any draining and refill of the river, due to how the water system is set up, would require the long-term closure of TBA, Pirates, and Jungle Cruise. Plus the obvious permanent loss of the river attractions. At minimum.
  • And that is if you don't touch the utilidoors, which absolutely would need work because of such an effort. Not even counting the certain temporary need to relocate/replace the capabilities of the cardboard balers, a welding shop, and several other bits of the utilidoors along that section.
  • HM, Big Thunder, CBJ, Tiki, and Aladdin, possibly Hall of Presidents, would all likely follow in terms of temporary closures because of the infrastructure efforts needed above and below - although this is not 100% certain (if they don't touch belowground, they can likely skip this step and make it a far less impactful closure set, even if this means future issues).
Disney cannot afford it. They cannot afford it financially, nor can they afford to lose 3 E-tickets at mimimum, and several others potentially, plus multiple dining and shopping venues, for a half-decade or more. It would possibly require one of the largest logistical efforts Disney's delt with in decades, and potentially close down half the bloody park to do so. Nobody would pay to go to MK when they cannot ride 3 major rides, let alone half the rides in the park if that's needed... That's before the land(s) get(s) built!
Few things to note about this-

1- I think most if not all of the Beyond Big Thunder projects would call for a reroute and filling in of part the river, and potential permanent docking of the Riverboat. People who analyzed the original concept art noticed that the angles seem to indicate this area seemingly encroaching on the northern parts of the river and TSI. The idea of filling in part of the river and perma docking the riverboat has been brought up as something Disney has considered multiple times in the past. Long before this project ever came into being.

2- The river has been drained multiple times before without impacting any other attractions aside from the Riverboat and TSI. Twice in just the past 5 years, 2018 and 2020.

3- Splash/TBA is not directly connected to the river at all. There's a barrier between the splashdown bend and the river. And as I said, it has continued to operate while the river was drained. I would also imagine they don't intend to fill in this section of the river anyway. Pirates and Jungle Cruise are especially not connected to any of the river's waterways and shouldn't be impacted. I also don't see why any Liberty Square or southern Frontierland attractions would be impacted either.

4- The Utilidors do not pass underneath the River. Nor all that close to it. They don't even stretch that far into Frontierland at all. One tunnel passes directly underneath center of the back-to-back buildings in Frontierland and Adventureland. Stopping at Tiki Room and Country Bears. And I don't see why they would touch the Utilidors at all.

Utilidor-web-jpeg-scaled.jpg

Incidentally, I doubt they would even fill in the entire river either. Just potentially the northern parts of TSI across the rope bridge. They'd probably mostly keep the southern loop, and possibly permanently park the riverboat at its dock.

dmc493

The blatant borrowing of major elements from MMRR and RotR for Zootopia makes DHS seem like a poor fit due to redundancy. Though I agree that DHS would be the best for the property, I don’t see Disney designing an entirely different ride for the US parks.
Unsure if borrowing is the right word, they're all just screen-heavy attractions using the same trackless ride technology. There's now 10 (I think) trackless rides of varying caliber but they've definitely leaned into the system a lot (rise x2, railway x2, rat x2, beauty & the beast, pooh, mystic manor, and now zootopia). This isn't to hate on any of them specifically but I think the formula is getting a bit old and at a minimum shifting away from heavy screen usage would benefit future attractions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom