News 'Beyond Big Thunder Mountain' Blue Sky concept revealed for Magic Kingdom

Bocabear

OK I know I am old, but I did play Mario years back....and I have absolutely no idea what those places and games are and absolutely no interest in seeing them in a theme park.... The park experiences should appeal to a broader audience... overall...More universal than gamers...And that is not a jab at gamers... I am just not the target audience...nor most of the people I know....

ToTBellHop

OK I know I am old, but I did play Mario years back....and I have absolutely no idea what those places and games are and absolutely no interest in seeing them in a theme park.... The park experiences should appeal to a broader audience... overall...More universal than gamers...And that is not a jab at gamers... I am just not the target audience...nor most of the people I know....
As Splash taught us, compelling attractions are compelling regardless of source material. As Journey Into Your Imagination taught us, completely original attractions that suck will suck.

IP does seem to boost the popularity of mediocre rides, though, because of the built-in fan base. See Fast and Furious.

peng

Nintendo Land FL will probably be a hit, but the MK ride does feel like a missed opportunity, sets are great, but the preshows are a bit confusing (the lack of dialogue seems like a Nintendo decision), rest of the land is executed amazingly though. But yeah, it doesn't matter how popular the IP is, if the ride sucks, people will avoid it, such as how the F&F ride in Orlando is usually a walk on, no matter how packed the rest of the park is. Yes I know there are other factors like capacity, but bad rides usually get short waits.

UNCgolf

As Splash taught us, compelling attractions are compelling regardless of source material. As Journey Into Your Imagination taught us, completely original attractions that suck will suck.

IP does seem to boost the popularity of mediocre rides, though, because of the built-in fan base. See Fast and Furious.

This is one of the biggest benefits to using IP. A ride can be mediocre and still a draw because of the IP (Frozen Ever After another great example). A mediocre non-IP ride is probably dead in the water.

The corresponding downside is that IP typically constrains what can be done and doesn't offer the freedom of non-IP, which maybe limits the ceiling. But from a business perspective, a higher floor/lower ceiling is generally more valuable than a lower floor/higher ceiling when you're investing millions (or hundreds of millions).

Last edited:

James Alucobond

I have never watched the Avatar films yet enjoy Pandora. Familiarity is not necessary, though it obviously helps drive interest. Here are some of the locations I mentioned, which I feel would be interesting to see realized:
loz_example.png

But with that said, I'll probably leave it there as this has veered into territory pertaining to Universal.

PizzaPlanet

The Mario movie made a billion and is now the second highest grossing animated film of all time. I understand it’s not for everyone but Mario definitely has multi generational appeal

Incomudro

Not only do I have zero interest, the very aesthetic of Mario actually annoys - yes - annoys me.
I've felt that way since the game debuted.
The look, the sound, all irritating.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Not yet - though Extraterrorestrial Encounter could have sufficed?

Alien (MGM Great Movie Ride) and Terminator show (Universal) are the only R-rated properties to be represented in parks IIRC

The old Alfred Hitchcock show and Horror Make-up Show both came with warnings that it was recommended for people over 13 years of age (not sure if that is still listed for the Horror Make-up Show). That's the closest I can think of.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Imagine a themepark/resort with the following IPs:
  • World of Warcraft
  • Halo
  • League of Legends
  • Minecraft
  • Diablo
  • Final Fantasy
  • Witcher
  • Elder Scrolls

Minecraft would hurt my eyes, lol.

Someone said Final Fantasy would have to stick to one of the games since there's such a variety and IMO it would HAVE to be 7...no other game comes close in popularity, BUT there's a lot of areas in that game that are massive (especially now in Rebirth).

Funny thing though...does Midgar remind anyone of anything?
1714008534113.png

1714008650485.png

Attachments

• 1714008554284.png
    1714008554284.png
    364.6 KB · Views: 20

ToTBellHop

Minecraft would hurt my eyes, lol.

Someone said Final Fantasy would have to stick to one of the games since there's such a variety and IMO it would HAVE to be 7...no other game comes close in popularity, BUT there's a lot of areas in that game that are massive (especially now in Rebirth).

Funny thing though...does Midgar remind anyone of anything?
View attachment 781548
View attachment 781550
I don’t think Walt would have wanted Wall Market!

How could you pick just one location from FFVII, though? I can’t pick just one. I was probably most excited for Cosmo Canyon this go around.

Delta-7

Hi, I’ve been reading on this forum lately and trying to catch up on the loads of rumors about this project.

Okay, I know a lot of people are against having a Woody attraction at Magic Kingdom. But if it were to happen, what type of attraction could it be? Also I really hope Disney takes into account how Test Track has to shut for rain if they consider adding RSR as part of Beyond BTM.

As for Villains land, is there really a chance that it could go to Hollywood Studios instead? I get that decision because it would add a mature feel to a park that I guess was initially supposed to be mature in tone, although I really want it at Magic Kingdom. I think it would be a good segue between a “Day of the Dead” corner of a Coco area and the Haunted Mansion. I also think the world’s most attended theme park can use all the more attraction capacity it can get.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom