Best Resort for January Stay

Surfside

Original Poster
I need suggestions about January stay with 2 kids (9 and 7). We went last November and stayed at Wilderness Lodge. It was great, but did feel like it took a long time for to get to parks. We have never been in January before. The options are Wilderness Lodge (kids love the bunk beds but I am worried boat rides maybe too chilly at night), Contemporary Garden room (our favorite restaurants are at this hotel), or Beach Club (we enjoy Epcot at night best). Thinking about a 5 night stay.
Thanks!

Disney4family

If travel time is a concern, I would choose the Contemporary. It's a 5 min walk to the Magic Kingdom & a monorail ride away to Epcot. We love it there. We feel it offers the best of both parks since it's so convenient. It's fun at night, too, with the Electric Water Pageant and Wishes right there. We also love lounging in the pool and watching the monorail go through the resort. Classic Disney.
We haven't stayed at The Beach Club, so I can't officially speak for it. From what I read, the kids will enjoy the sand bottom pool there. It is conveniently near Epcot, but you have to walk all the way to the front of the park to get to the monorail station (to get to the Magic Kingdom). Would that be a long walk for you to consider?

Surfside

Original Poster
If travel time is a concern, I would choose the Contemporary. It's a 5 min walk to the Magic Kingdom & a monorail ride away to Epcot. We love it there. We feel it offers the best of both parks since it's so convenient. It's fun at night, too, with the Electric Water Pageant and Wishes right there. We also love lounging in the pool and watching the monorail go through the resort. Classic Disney.
We haven't stayed at The Beach Club, so I can't officially speak for it. From what I read, the kids will enjoy the sand bottom pool there. It is conveniently near Epcot, but you have to walk all the way to the front of the park to get to the monorail station (to get to the Magic Kingdom). Would that be a long walk for you to consider?
Thank you!

JusticeDisney

Why would you walk all the way to the front of Epcot to catch a monorail to Magic Kingdom, when you could simply take a bus straight from the Beach Club to the Magic Kingdom?

IMO, Beach Club all the way. 5 minute walk to Epcot, about a 15 minute walk to Hollywood Studios, an easy bus ride to Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom, and the best pool on property. Not to mention a ton of phenomenal food options throughout the Epcot resorts.

Disney4family

Why would you walk all the way to the front of Epcot to catch a monorail to Magic Kingdom, when you could simply take a bus straight from the Beach Club to the Magic Kingdom?

IMO, Beach Club all the way. 5 minute walk to Epcot, about a 15 minute walk to Hollywood Studios, an easy bus ride to Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom, and the best pool on property. Not to mention a ton of phenomenal food options throughout the Epcot resorts.
You're right. As I said, I never stayed there so I couldn't officially speak for it. I do hope I can convince my husband to try it one day. Right now, he's just a BLT person. As long as I'm there, I don't care if I sleep in a janitor's closet in any resort.

slappy magoo

You're right, you don't need to go from Beach Club to Magic Kingdom by monorail. However, if someone's park hopping between MK & Epcot, it's feasible to use the monorail one way or the other.

Contemporary or Beach Club both make wonderful choices. You're right in that Beach Club has many dining options within walking distance between its own restaurants, Yacht Club, Boardwalk and Swolphin. But being at Contemporary also affords you a lot of dining options. Not only are you talking about 3 very-different-but-all-great restaurants in your own resort (and slightly off topic, my kids love "monorail-watching" at the Contempo Cafe as well as Chef Mickey's), but you can ride the monorail to any of the restaurants at Polynesian or Grand Floridian (and the Magic Kingdom, of course), plus you have boat access to Wilderness Lodge and Fort Wilderness, making it easier to get to WCC or Hoop De Doo.

What would make me lean more towards recommending the Contemporary to the OP would be:
1: the plans are for this trip to be in January. It's extremely possible, perhaps even probable, that the weather will be accommodating for swimming in January, but the chances of a cold snap are there. Plus, while everyone's mileage may vary, I know that if I only had 5 days at WDW, I'd be as much of a park commando as my and my family's stamina would allow, which might afford very little time to swim.
2: the OP's kids are young enough that a lot of time would probably be spent at MK. Or if they have park hoppers, it'd make it easy to go to one park and then decide to hit MK for one or two favorite attractions before going back to the hotel. I suppose you could do that with Beach Club as well, go to MK or AK in the morning then bus over to Epcot or Studios for a brief visit before going back to the room, but I'd hazard a guess more "favorites" might be at MK, and the trip back would be faster and easier. But YMMV.
3: The OP already stated the restaurants at the Contemporary are amongst their favorites. With only a 5 night trip, make it as easy as possible to go to your favorites unless you really want to branch out and make yourself try new places.

EDIT: Not that big a deal, and the OP's kids might be different, but I have kids who are currently 8 and 4, and for them, one of the things they're most excited to do is ride the monorail. Last time we went, we stayed at BLT and had a car. We drove to Epcot, but I deliberately kept my oldest daughter there for "just one more ride" when it was time to bring the youngest home for a nap, because then she could have that long ride back on the monorail which was way more important to her than the Malestrom (she did not care much that the ride was about to close and this would be her only chance to ride it). Anyway, my point is, we rode the monorail as much as possible. Even being within walking distance of MK, we still sometimes rode the monorail to MK and ALWAYS rode it back because the kids wanted to so much. I also tried to book as many meals at Poly & GF as I could to make it necessary to ride there. Don't sell the allure of the monorail short with younger kids.

Last edited:

NonnaT

Ditto!

RobidaFlats

I am worried boat rides maybe too chilly at night)

This is a valid concern. We were staying at Ft. Wilderness one year in January and had evening reservations at California Grill. It was absurdly cold that evening and the women in our party had only packed dresses for nice dining attire. We hopped a boat from Ft. Wilderness to the Contemporary and it felt as though we were crossing the Delaware in 1776. The cold wind and spray froze the ladies in minutes and even the skipper was bundled up like you rarely see in Florida. If I remember correctly, we were on the last launch before they shut down the small boats early that night because of the cold.

In any case, even though the weather is still usually rather mild in January, it can get cold, so it might be worth avoiding the boats if you freeze easily.

NonnaT

This is a valid concern. We were staying at Ft. Wilderness one year in January and had evening reservations at California Grill. It was absurdly cold that evening and the women in our party had only packed dresses for nice dining attire. We hopped a boat from Ft. Wilderness to the Contemporary and it felt as though we were crossing the Delaware in 1776. The cold wind and spray froze the ladies in minutes and even the skipper was bundled up like you rarely see in Florida. If I remember correctly, we were on the last launch before they shut down the small boats early that night because of the cold.

In any case, even though the weather is still usually rather mild in January, it can get cold, so it might be worth avoiding the boats if you freeze easily.
OR bring a sweater/jacket...
I always bring layers to WDW. You can never tell just how cold it might get, especially in the evening. Also, even if it's hot, you have to contend with sometimes icy air conditioning.

Last edited:

tem325

Stayed the Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary in Jan of 2013, the first week, and it was lovely! Still decorated for the holidays and super convenient to the MK (our favorite park) and the restaurants on the monorail route.

DisneyAubs

I vote Contemporary as well. While temperatures are normally still pretty warm in January, you will likely not be swimming. Seems a shame to stay at Beach Club and not utilize Stormalong Bay, you know? And you've already done Wilderness Lodge (I like to change things up, so I personally wouldn't repeat a resort)

Surfside

Original Poster
What about Contemporary Garden wing with garden view? Good or so so? Will they be close to pool and only lower floor has balcony?

MagicalMaci

In the Parks
Yes
Another vote for the CR! My mom and I had stayed in the Garden Wing for a birthday girls trip once and LOVED it! It's so peaceful over there and love Bay Lake. Since parks can close earlier in January, there is great viewing of the MK from the 4th floor where you can watch the castle just twinkle and change colors, and easily get to the other Monorail Resorts for a post-park dinner in the warmth of the monorail (rather than having to walk in the Epcot area) I also do love Beach Club but I think for January I'd pick Contemporary!

We've also done AKL in January and enjoyed the animal viewing after hours when parks closed a bit earlier and we weren't quite ready for bed. But I think it might be a little far out of the way for your preference.

Sean M Nies

I need suggestions about January stay with 2 kids (9 and 7). We went last November and stayed at Wilderness Lodge. It was great, but did feel like it took a long time for to get to parks. We have never been in January before. The options are Wilderness Lodge (kids love the bunk beds but I am worried boat rides maybe too chilly at night), Contemporary Garden room (our favorite restaurants are at this hotel), or Beach Club (we enjoy Epcot at night best). Thinking about a 5 night stay.
Thanks!
With kids I suggest Contempoary, without kids I suggest Beach Club. Just my two cents, I have no children but if I did I think I would do contemporary solely for easy access to two parks. Beach Club also has easy access to two parks but more walking involved for 2nd, least desirable park. Good luck!

alissafalco

If you plan on going to MK the most then yes I agree with the Contemporary. If you will be at the resort a lot and not MK so much then BC.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom