Best deluxe resort for the Christmas holiday season

Gaston's gal

I would vote for AKL or WL. We are also one of those families who went to bed with a "normal" lobby, then woke up the next day with a "decorated" lobby. So amazing that they can do it so quickly yet beautifully! We actually took a day just to go and look at how each of the resorts were decorated. I highly recommend that. It's cool to see how the GF, Poly, WL, AKL, etc., are all decorated with the theme of their resort in mind. Amazing detail! You will love it.

HouCuseChickie

My 2 cents...

I once made the mistake of picking my lodging based on holiday decor instead of going with one of my favorite resorts, from the general lodging perspective. Yes, the resort decor was pretty, but I wasn't happy with my stay and it put a little bit of a damper on the trip. It made me realize that I'd much rather stay at the Contemporary, Boardwalk, or AKL (my fave resorts) and visit WL, GF, or BC to see their decor.

JimJam

My vote goes to the Beach Club. We go around Christmas all the time and it gives off a great feel. It's decorated beautifully and a gingerbread carousel in the lobby, as well as a (partial) gingerbread house gives off a great feel.

JimJam

Absolutely. I love Yacht/Beach/BoardWalk.

Another pro is that you have the ability to Resort hop and look at Christmas Decor at Yacht/Beach/BoardWalk/Swan/Dolphin. You are not isolated at all!!! Dolphin has terrific Christmas entertainment, it is "Santa's Favorite Resort" after all.

I highly recommend these Resorts at any time of year, but especially at Christmas time, and especially New Years Week (2/4 parks you walk to--no road/bus traffic!)
I love the music-dancing palm trees over at the Swan & Dolphin. They're amazing.

blueboxdoctor

I enjoyed the Polynesian, especially with their Polynesian-esque Christmas music playing around the resort. And a tropical Christmas is pretty cool.

However, Wilderness Lodge is the best. The log cabin feel, the fireplaces, the warm/earthy tones, it all feels very much like a classic American Christmas. It feels warm and inviting, as Christmas should. Nothing feels out of place when it's fully set up with decorations. It's just a very relaxing place. And I found out it can surprisingly get cold in Florida in December, the fireplaces during a midday rain, overlooking the lobby and giant Christmas tree (note, there are fireplaces on the higher floors, overlooking the lobby area) are very relaxing.

HauntedMansionFLA

Original Poster
WL hands down. For us, the warm, woodsy feel of the lodge is a perfect resort for the winter months...and when a massive tree, lighted garland and illuminated forest animals are added to the majestic lobby...WOW. Just wow. It makes us smile every time we pass through it.

The walkway to the bus stop is also decorated with lighted garland and what a "welcome home" it provides after a long day at the parks! Simply beautiful.

Closer to Christmas the resort has nightly entertainment around the Christmas tree. We have enjoyed choirs (young and old!) performing holiday tunes.

We like that WL has both a bus and boat option to MK. We enjoy the boat to Ft. Wilderness for Trails End or Hoop Dee Doo, followed by a stroll through the amazingly decorated campsites!! A boat from WL goes to the Contemporary, which gives the monorail as an option for transport to MK or Epcot.

Not even the ongoing WL construction is preventing us from changing our December arrival this year. :happy:
Thanks for your comments. How often does the boats leave for the MK and it's about a ten minute ride? How long is the construction will be going on? I looked at pictures of the WL on Google and there werè beautiful.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Thanks for your comments. How often does the boats leave for the MK and it's about a ten minute ride? How long is the construction will be going on? I looked at pictures of the WL on Google and there werè beautiful.
Boats run continually (no set schedule) but because the boats are larger (and thus take longer to load/unload) and MK is further away from WL than Poly (10 minute ride as you noted), the wait for a boat is usually 10-15 minutes (we have waited as long as 20.) When we stay at WL, we usually take the bus to MK ~ the ride is under 5 minutes and the bus comes more frequently than the boat.

HauntedMansionFLA

Original Poster
Boats run continually (no set schedule) but because the boats are larger (and thus take longer to load/unload) and MK is further away from WL than Poly (10 minute ride as you noted), the wait for a boat is usually 10-15 minutes (we have waited as long as 20.) When we stay at WL, we usually take the bus to MK ~ the ride is under 5 minutes and the bus comes more frequently than the boat.
Good to know going to the park and take the boat back to WL. Sorry for all of the questions but you are a great resource. Transportation to the other parks? A nightmare? We have looked at the EPCOT resorts since you can walk to two parks BUT live to spend a lot of time at the MK. We have always stayed at AKL and love it but wanted to be different.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Good to know going to the park and take the boat back to WL. Sorry for all of the questions but you are a great resource. Transportation to the other parks? A nightmare? We have looked at the EPCOT resorts since you can walk to two parks BUT live to spend a lot of time at the MK. We have always stayed at AKL and love it but wanted to be different.
WL shares a bus with Ft. Wilderness for Epcot and with Contemporary for DHS and AK. It is normally picked up first (so getting a seat is not a problem) and dropped off first. I would say bus service is no better or worse than other Deluxes. Loading ECVs always slows things down but that happens at all resorts and there is no way to predict when your bus will have to accommodate one.

People sing praises of being able to walk to 2 parks from Epcot resorts, but we have never walked to DHS from any of the Epcot resorts...it is too hot of a walk for our liking and even in cooler months it is further than it seems. We stick to the boat or drive ourselves.

WL is similar to AKL in terms of "feel" (majestic lobby and room size) but the hallways of WL are much shorter than those never-ending halls of AKL, haha. It is also nice to have Roaring Fork inside the main building, although the Mara is larger with more choices.

jlsHouston

I've stayed at WL during Thanksgiving before and it gets my vote...with the Grand Floridan a very close second. For same reasons everyone expressed, the massive tree in the enormous lobby as you come through the door is simply breathtaking. Love the lobby at WL but especially for holidays. I've stayed there twice and always been in the hallway kind of behind the lobby desk and lobby level which has afforded me a view of the greenery surrounding the pool and been a quick walk to every place on property. I would stay at WL pretty much anytime of year except maybe summer because I'm not impressed with the pool there. I probably would stay at GF again...although I always visit the place every trip to have a cocktail, or dine and shop. At Christmas holidays we absolutely stop by GF a couple of times and do pictures and enjoy the lobby.

jlsHouston

I don't remember the boats being rapid transport. I always have a car and I drive to all parks except about 50% of the time with MK I would boat over or bus. I found the buses at WL ran more frequently than say the POLY or GF. The boat was always fun but it could be a wait and in the hot weather sometimes I avoided using the boat transport.

HauntedMansionFLA

Original Poster
I don't remember the boats being rapid transport. I always have a car and I drive to all parks except about 50% of the time with MK I would boat over or bus. I found the buses at WL ran more frequently than say the POLY or GF. The boat was always fun but it could be a wait and in the hot weather sometimes I avoided using the boat transport.
Does WL share bus transportation with another resort?

Mukta

I always stay in the Epcot area during the holidays because Epcot and DHS are the parks I will spend the most time in. Seeing the Osborne lights, Candlelight Processional etc is what I do the most. Getting home quickly from there is nice.

I spend a little time in MK seeing the castle lighting, but a quick trip on monorail/boats and I can see the Deluxe decorations.

Tom P.

I see a lot of votes here for Wilderness Lodge. We're considering a WDW trip during the Christmas season next year, and we're considering splurging on a deluxe. I know that WL will be undergoing quite significant construction at that time, though. Under those circumstances, would it still get your vote as best deluxe at Christmas, or would you pick a different choice during that time?

VoiceGuy07

The holiday decoration wake-up is the most amazing thing ever! Happened to us at The Beach Club about ten years ago. Came downstairs and was blown away by the transformation and the immediate, "The holidays are here!" feeling. We weren't expecting it so it made it so much more incredible.

I can see how the grand lobby resorts like AKL, GF, WL, are perfect for the holidays, overwhelmingly awesome!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom