Bed Bug run ins?

Rachel S1321

Original Poster
My family switched our hotel reservation this morning. We switched from All Star Movies to Art of Animation. And then I looked on tripadvisor and read some of the bad reviews. Some of them were bed bug issues and the customer feeling like it wasn't handled properly.. I have never thought about checking mattresses on arrival! Do you check your beds right away or just hope they are ok!! I am shocked I never thought of looking before. Keep in mind out of hundreds of reviews there is a small number of bad ones of coarse! I love everything Disney...just don't want to bring home little bugs as a souvenir!

Rachel S1321

Original Poster
I check EVERY hotel room we go into, whether it's WDW or elsewhere. In all of the trips to WDW we have taken, I have always gone into the room first, checked mattress, headboards, and dresser drawers and am happy to say have never found anything.
I will start doing this in the future for sure! I feel so naive not even thinking about it. Some of the reviews people didn't know they had then in their bed until day 4. By then the hotel would say how do we know you didn't bring them? Which I get that defense but its still shocking!

Rachel S1321

Original Poster
And also is housekeeping not checking for them? Some there were infestations by the 100's. I'm thinking those would be hard to miss by housekeeping.

Goofyernmost

Also keep in mind that Florida contains a lot of different types of bugs. Although, it might be true, bed bugs are very hard to see and remain hidden during day time or lighted times. Couple that with the fact that most people have no idea what a bed bug even looks like and you have people panicking over nothing. I am amazed here in NC how few people can tell the difference between cockroaches and yard beetles. With all the information on line, they still cannot identify a type of bug, so if they see one that looks nasty, it automatically is identified as a cockroach. Sometimes we are not the brightest of species and it makes one wonder how we managed to claw our way to the top of the food chain.

Rachel S1321

Original Poster
Also keep in mind that Florida contains a lot of different types of bugs. Although, it might be true, bed bugs are very hard to see and remain hidden during day time or lighted times. Couple that with the fact that most people have no idea what a bed bug even looks like and you have people panicking over nothing. I am amazed here in NC how few people can tell the difference between cockroaches and yard beetles. With all the information on line, they still cannot identify a type of bug, so if they see one that looks nasty, it automatically is identified as a cockroach. Sometimes we are not the brightest of species and it makes one wonder how we managed to claw our way to the top of the food chain.

I agree with everything you said. I'm not sure if I can identify most bugs (sorry!) Just not bug smart. I do understand that bugs will find a way in sometimes. I do think I will be checking to the best of my ability so if something is spotted I can be moved to a bug free room! I don't mind a bug coming in and me letting it back out...I don't want them to feast off of me while I sleep.

Arthur Wellesley

Bed Bugs are an equal-opportunity annoyer. Regardless if you're staying at the most expensive luxurious penthouse imaginable, or Granny's Country Inn along the interstate...you can find them. It doesn't matter if you're staying in a dump or the highest-rated resort for cleanliness on the planet...they can find a way in from time-to-time.

@wendysue said it perfectly: Check every time like she describes prior to bringing any of your luggage or other personal belongings into a room, & especially before placing such items onto your bed. It only takes a few minutes, and can save you thousands of $$ by not allowing the little hitchhikers back into your home.

There are actually very affordable means to eradicate the little critters for good, but the pest control industry is riding high off of them for the time being, so expect to pay upwards of a grand if you do get them in your house.

But a simple inspection of your hotel room can save you a lot of money & a lot of headache.

Goofyernmost

Bed Bugs are an equal-opportunity annoyer. Regardless if you're staying at the most expensive luxurious penthouse imaginable, or Granny's Country Inn along the interstate...you can find them. It doesn't matter if you're staying in a dump or the highest-rated resort for cleanliness on the planet...they can find a way in from time-to-time.

@wendysue said it perfectly: Check every time like she describes prior to bringing any of your luggage or other personal belongings into a room, & especially before placing such items onto your bed. It only takes a few minutes, and can save you thousands of $$ by not allowing the little hitchhikers back into your home.

There are actually very affordable means to eradicate the little critters for good, but the pest control industry is riding high off of them for the time being, so expect to pay upwards of a grand if you do get them in your house.

But a simple inspection of your hotel room can save you a lot of money & a lot of headache.
I can vouch for that, I owned a group home in the 80's and 90's. One person came in and brought bed bugs with them and before it was done, I had spent $5000.00 getting the place cleaned up. All mattresses, carpets and cloth covered furniture had to be thrown out, all clothing and sheets, blankets and other cloth items had to be washed in bleach, the building evacuated and tented, holes drilled in walls and complete fumigation had to be done to clear them up. The place wasn't dirty and was caused by one person bringing them in with them. Sadly, inspecting a room will not reveal that problem, because as I said, they are not out in the open and only come out after the lights have gone out or the areas is quiet. You can pull back the blankets and top sheets and if it's clear, there is a good chance that you will be OK, but, even that is no guarantee. It is a major problem for the property owner and mostly through no fault of their own.

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
I agree with everything you said. I'm not sure if I can identify most bugs (sorry!) Just not bug smart. I do understand that bugs will find a way in sometimes. I do think I will be checking to the best of my ability so if something is spotted I can be moved to a bug free room! I don't mind a bug coming in and me letting it back out...I don't want them to feast off of me while I sleep.
It's not just feasting off of you where you sleep, if you would have them in your room you most likely will take them home with you by your luggage or clothing, etc, and then you have a very expensive problem in your home. And they are not easy to get rid of at all. So we are very diligent in checking for them when we travel. They even sometimes are in movie theaters, and clothing stores. Have heard way too many horror stories so I have to always check. Those little tiny critters are ruthless! Lol :)

sxeensweet

There are now devices that you can place on the bed to capture and kill them
Yes but still does not fully get rid of them and you still have to throw away mattresses, carpet, sofas etc if you have them in your homes. They can lay eggs that take 2 months to hatch. That is the normal cycle at a time so hard to make sure all are killed and that the cycle does not keep repeating. Pesticides will not kill them, only very high heat will kill them, as to why they say to put stuff in the dryer on high heat that can fit and throw away all items that you cannot put into the dryer etc where they will live or lay eggs. Not an easy fix by any means to rid of them! That is always my fear is bringing those pesky critters home with me whenever I travel. :eek:

dukeaboy

Im a pest control technician....best advice i can give is bring a good flashlight...bedbugs will hide in any crack crevice and seams...lift up sheets and check the seams and headboard ...they like to hide under the do not remove tags on the mattress ...also look for blood stains on sheets or mattress...if there is a problem you will most likely see evidence in those areas...bring a flashlight.....

sxeensweet

Im a pest control technician....best advice i can give is bring a good flashlight...bedbugs will hide in any crack crevice and seams...lift up sheets and check the seams and headboard ...they like to hide under the do not remove tags on the mattress ...also look for blood stains on sheets or mattress...if there is a problem you will most likely see evidence in those areas...bring a flashlight.....
Yep! Great advice thank you, that everyone should follow and only takes an extra 5-10 min to look when you go into your hotel room. :)

CJLove79

********NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART********* I found some pics of what bed bugs look like on mattresses and furniture. Its nasty as hell but as stated in previous posts, a flashlight app from your phone can help you a great deal.

Attachments

• bed-bug-cluster-on-mattress.jpg
    bed-bug-cluster-on-mattress.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 126
  • bed-bug-mattress1.jpg
    bed-bug-mattress1.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 125
  • tufft-seam-mattress_small.jpg
    tufft-seam-mattress_small.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 128

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom