Beach Club Resort - 20 Month Refurb

disneydudette

FWIW - I called BC directly this morning and the lovely woman I spoke to checked "in her system" and she said they are NOT showing any scheduled refurbs on the pool or common areas in January or February. Obviously this can change or the person I ske with could have not received the information yet, but this is what I was told.

At this time... there's no information to even give. SAB is not [currently] slated to 'go down' for any refurbishment... nor are any public spaces, such as the Lobby, Cape May, and the Marketplace.

Maybe i am being difficult about the whole thing, but i'm just annoyed they didn't inform people staying at both the Beach and Yacht Club about the refurb in a timely manner. The Yacht Club shares certain spaces with the beach club and they didn't exactly specify which shared spaces would be updated. I probably am being a bit ridiculous about the whole thing, but i am coming all the way from New Zealand and i just kinda wish they had at least emailed the people staying at facility about the noise issue - it kinda feels like they are only releasing certain facts when they already have the holiday crowd booked in - so they could charge full price.

I don't know...it just doesn't sit right with me that a family who has spend a ton of money to stay at the beach club has to put up with the construction when they paid full price...or wonder if their kids will actually get to go in the pool they booked the hotel for.

Apologies if my post came off as abrasive... you had every right to express concern over your vacation... no need to defend yourself!

Having known about the BC refurbishment for months now... we chose to spend our 9 nights in August at the Polynesian instead. There were already 'talks' back in September that the BC room renovation would still be on going around our trip time frame... and I didn't want to chance not receiving a renovated room or the occasional construction noise.

Again though... at this time... there is no reason to 'expect' construction of public areas at the BC/YC.

Like you mentioned... you'll hear about confirmed dates of refurbishments on the forums... WELL before receiving any notice from Disney, and that's if they even decide to send one!

Soooo weird that a total refurb of a WDW resort is garnering attention on a WDW fan site.

I would love to know what information is out there to support this as a 'total refurb'... outside of the original article of course... which was already nearly a month behind given that reconstruction of the Club Level lounge had started/finished by it's posting... nevermind the entire 5th floor of rooms currently out of inventory as well.

Do I expect to see a 'refresh' on some public spaces? Certainly... on the scale of the Polynesian? Not even close.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I would love to know what information is out there to support this as a 'total refurb'... outside of the original article of course... which was already nearly a month behind given that reconstruction of the Club Level lounge had started/finished by it's posting... nevermind the entire 5th floor of rooms currently out of inventory as well.

Do I expect to see a 'refresh' on some public spaces? Certainly... on the scale of the Polynesian? Not even close.

Dudette, it's a WDW fansite. A WDW deluxe resort is getting a makeover. It's worth discussing. Even if it's just the rooms.

tikiman

I can understand some of the larger items coming off as underwhelming, but they are all part of a larger picture. One example of a large upgrade would be the sign at the entrance. What used to be a small sign on top of a stick is now an elaborate landscape display. The pavement at the entrance to the GCH has been greatly improved over the original. The areas of the lobby that are coming out from behind the walls are well done with lots of detail. Pictures never do anything true justice, and I know that many folks opinions of the refurb are clouded by the fountain removal, including @tikiman. I am just still optimistic that this transformation will end up on the positive end of the spectrum.

I don't see how my opinion is clouded by the removal of the waterfall. I even posted many times how I understand the reasons they had to remove it and that the new water features out front and many of the other changes will be great additions. Not sure where that comment came from.

Figment2005

I don't see how my opinion is clouded by the removal of the waterfall. I even posted many times how I understand the reasons they had to remove it and that the new water features out front and many of the other changes will be great additions. Not sure where that comment came from.
I'm sorry about that, I clumped you in with the demographic I was referring to without double checking your posts. Still, there are a lot of folks who are considering the refurb a failure just because the fountain has been removed.

COProgressFan

There was nothing wrong with the room refresh at grand floridian. I've stayed three times since the rehab and rooms are in great condition and look great. I have also talked to other guests during my visits that have been to the grand before and everyone loves the new look.

There may be nothing "wrong" with the GF room refurbs, from the pics I've seen they look nice enough.

But they are no longer unique to the Grand, and only touch on the Victorian theming of the resort. I always loved the old GF rooms, primarily because they didn't really look as "hotel roomy" as most. Now they are "any hotel USA" with a few Victorian elements added.

wdwfan22

There may be nothing "wrong" with the GF room refurbs, from the pics I've seen they look nice enough.

But they are no longer unique to the Grand, and only touch on the Victorian theming of the resort. I always loved the old GF rooms, primarily because they didn't really look as "hotel roomy" as most. Now they are "any hotel USA" with a few Victorian elements added.

I also loved the old look of the Floridian guest rooms, however the resort received numerous complaints regarding the old look being to dated and gaudy.

WDWYankee15

Original Poster
I will repost my question from my original post.

My family is trying to rent DVC points to stay at Beach Club next August. Our plans centered around staying mainly at the resort to enjoy Stormalong Bay and some of the other great things about WDW outside the 4 parks.

I don't want to lock into a point purchase and be very disappointed.

Those in the know, would you book at stay at Beach Club next August?

There is a very detailed Beach Club information/renovation thread on another message board. The renovation started with the concierge lounge in September. Now the Fifth floor is being done.

Don't know about the rules of posting to another board, but it is the Beach and Yacht Club FAQ on DISBoards.

Rinx

I will repost my question from my original post.

My family is trying to rent DVC points to stay at Beach Club next August. Our plans centered around staying mainly at the resort to enjoy Stormalong Bay and some of the other great things about WDW outside the 4 parks.

I don't want to lock into a point purchase and be very disappointed.

Those in the know, would you book at stay at Beach Club next August?

I'm not really in the know but my family rotates DVC resorts every year and September 2015 is supposed to be BCV's turn. Having to make reservations so far out, we are not willing to risk taking the chance of it looking or sounding like the Poly under construction and are opting for another DVC.

prberk

I also loved the old look of the Floridian guest rooms, however the resort received numerous complaints regarding the old look being to dated and gaudy.

Hey, do you have any before and after pictures that you can show? I love the GF's lobby and theming, but I have never been able to afford to stay there. I would love to see the rooms period, but I would especially like to see a comparison before and after the aforementioned renovation.

wdwfan22

Hey, do you have any before and after pictures that you can show? I love the GF's lobby and theming, but I have never been able to afford to stay there. I would love to see the rooms period, but I would especially like to see a comparison before and after the aforementioned renovation.

The first pic is the old style, second pic is the refreshed room.

Attachments

• Grand 1.jpg
    Grand 1.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 135
  • grand2.jpg
    grand2.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 133

MerlinTheGoat

Wow, those redone Grand Floridian rooms really are awful. I hadn't even seen a comparison and not stayed at GF since the early 90's to know how much had changed, but ouch what a despicable downgrade. We need a projectile vomit smiley, but this will have to do as usual-

picard-facepalm.jpg

It's no wonder people are so terrified of the Beach Club's refurbishment.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I'm not really in the know but my family rotates DVC resorts every year and September 2015 is supposed to be BCV's turn. Having to make reservations so far out, we are not willing to risk taking the chance of it looking or sounding like the Poly under construction and are opting for another DVC.

Skip the GF - you will not like the state of the DVC villas

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Wow, those redone Grand Floridian rooms really are awful. I hadn't even seen a comparison and not stayed at GF since the early 90's to know how much had changed, but ouch what a despicable downgrade. We need a projectile vomit smiley, but this will have to do as usual-

picard-facepalm.jpg

It's no wonder people are so terrified of the Beach Club's refurbishment.

Remember these are now called 'De-Furbishments'

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom