Awful, Could this happen on Kali ??

21stamps

This isn't the first time a raft ride has flipped it has happened before. The most likely cause of it happening is too much weight on one side of the raft. So long as the people on the raft are dispersed around the raft it is unlikely to happen but as soon as you have everyone on one side then the odds of it happening go up. I have to wonder as I had heard that two of the people weren't buckled in in Australia, if this wasn't a case of two people going to one side to avoid getting wet or for some other reason and the end result was the raft flipping over.

In general I don't think you have much risk at Kali unless you have people jumping up and moving to one side of the raft... if that happens then all bets are off.

I can't imagine that weight would have anything to do with it. There are a lot of water park rides where you are loaded by weight, but these type of rides aren't one of them.

njDizFan

Did you actually ride this beast? It's kinda famous as one of the worst ideas ever!
Yes on a dare, just myself and my other friend went out of like 20 people. My friend came out with a near concussion, I bit my tongue and came out with a headache. It was scary but I was young and stupid. Also they have a cliff diving thing which was like 30 feet into a pond. Crazy place!!

21stamps

These are 2 of my favorite rides at school festivals, the other is the "eggs" that go around like a Ferris wheel but you're flipping upside down.

This 1st pic is the spinning straight up in the air only being held in by centripetal force.

The 2nd and 3rd are similar but it is inside and what you are leaning against flies up to the ceiling.

I can't say that I never wonder if they were set up properly..but they're too fun to miss!! Kiddo was a little nervous his first time though..these are last year just after his 5th birthday the last one is this past summer and now he's a pro ;)
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

21stamps

Yes on a dare, just myself and my other friend went out of like 20 people. My friend came out with a near concussion, I bit my tongue and came out with a headache. It was scary but I was young and stupid. Also they have a cliff diving thing which was like 30 feet into a pond. Crazy place!!

If only there could be a "safe" version of that park. It's a legend...I would have loved it..sans injuries. I gave up cliff diving 3 years ago though, after something happened to a friend of mine. I used to love it. Amazing how age and parental responsibility allow fear to creep in our brains. There are quite a few risks that I have stopped taking since becoming a mother.

lazyboy97o

This isn't the first time a raft ride has flipped it has happened before. The most likely cause of it happening is too much weight on one side of the raft. So long as the people on the raft are dispersed around the raft it is unlikely to happen but as soon as you have everyone on one side then the odds of it happening go up. I have to wonder as I had heard that two of the people weren't buckled in in Australia, if this wasn't a case of two people going to one side to avoid getting wet or for some other reason and the end result was the raft flipping over.

In general I don't think you have much risk at Kali unless you have people jumping up and moving to one side of the raft... if that happens then all bets are off.
How the raft flipped seems to be rather easily understood. The conveyor belt continued pushed a loaded raft into a stationary raft. Seatbelt were probably off because this occurred near unload.

At Disney the near miss was on the Pinocchio ride at Disneyland where the idiot running the ride started moving the car I was in before I was all the way out of the car... I'm guessing at Disney the problems will be human error, at state fairs its probably greater risk of shoddy equipment.
At least amongst the major operators, Disney is probably alone in actually pursuing a policy of poor maintenance, to "ride [the] rides to failure to save money." What's worse is that Disney remains committed to the larger business model and operating philosophy from which that arose. Incidents like those at Splash Mountain and the Tree of Life, or even the whole Space Mountain refurbishment debacle, show that even two deaths have not been enough for Disney to not push that idea.

Phonedave

I went off that cliff many many times. Once I entered the water feet first, but my one leg was out to the side with my knee bent. I was trying to do a jacknife, and I let go of my leg. My thigh slapped on the surface of the water, and I am actually suprised I didn't mess up my hip. I had to drag myself out of the pool (because the lifeguard sure was not going to help you) and I had trouble walking on that leg for about an hour after that. Good times ..... good times.

-dave

Phonedave

These are 2 of my favorite rides at school festivals, the other is the "eggs" that go around like a Ferris wheel but you're flipping upside down.

The 2nd and 3rd are similar but it is inside and what you are leaning against flies up to the ceiling.
]

My kids love the Starship 2000 (that would be the second one)

-dave

Phonedave

It might be safest if you were under it with your head up, but if you are buckled into the seat your head is going to be underwater and the raft will be holding you there. Also don't know if there would be any air pocket or not, as I recall there are holes in the floor to allow water to flow out of the floor so I'm not sure how low the raft would sit upside down and if there would any air pocket... not wanting to find out either.

Air pocket is not an issue. The floor of the raft would be above the waterline. The drainage holes would actualy let fresh air in. My concern is with the water depth. I don't think those rides are all that deep. I am pretty sure they are not over my head. If a raft flips over, and I am under it, I will get knocked to the bottom as it passes over me. I don't think I could "hang" from the inside and float along with it, even if I tucked my knees up.

-dave

21stamps

My kids love the Starship 2000 (that would be the second one)

-dave
Awesome!

I went off that cliff many many times. Once I entered the water feet first, but my one leg was out to the side with my knee bent. I was trying to do a jacknife, and I let go of my leg. My thigh slapped on the surface of the water, and I am actually suprised I didn't mess up my hip. I had to drag myself out of the pool (because the lifeguard sure was not going to help you) and I had trouble walking on that leg for about an hour after that. Good times ..... good times.

-dave

Water can HURT! I was a competitive springboard diver for 11 years...I spent many practices wearing a shorty when learning new dives, and when I didn't I accumulated quite a few bruises.
I wore a uniform to school and my mom always hated when the back of my legs were black and blue. In my younger years she thought people would think I was being abused.lol

thomas998

Air pocket is not an issue. The floor of the raft would be above the waterline. The drainage holes would actualy let fresh air in. My concern is with the water depth. I don't think those rides are all that deep. I am pretty sure they are not over my head. If a raft flips over, and I am under it, I will get knocked to the bottom as it passes over me. I don't think I could "hang" from the inside and float along with it, even if I tucked my knees up.

-dave
If its shallow water and it flips while you are buckled in it wont matter because your head will be smacked and you'll be unconscious... Which might be a good thing because at least you wont suffer as much before you die.

21stamps

My dare devil in 2013 when she was 13 on the gravitron lol @21stamps View attachment 172038
Love love love!!!!!!!!
I am going to show my son this photo! He'll get a kick out of it.

It's so nice to see fearless kids. Getting old has taken some of that out of me.lol. I think they do teach us a good lesson, so much in this world has the potential to be dangerous..but life wouldn't be very fun if we constantly worried about something going wrong.

I can't wait to see all of your ride photos after your trip!! (I may or may not steal a few pose ideas ;) )

eddy21

How the raft flipped seems to be rather easily understood. The conveyor belt continued pushed a loaded raft into a stationary raft. Seatbelt were probably off because this occurred near unload.

At least amongst the major operators, Disney is probably alone in actually pursuing a policy of poor maintenance, to "ride [the] rides to failure to save money." What's worse is that Disney remains committed to the larger business model and operating philosophy from which that arose. Incidents like those at Splash Mountain and the Tree of Life, or even the whole Space Mountain refurbishment debacle, show that even two deaths have not been enough for Disney to not push that idea.
By poor maintenance are you referring to cleanliness or are you privy to ride maintenance procedures ?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom