Awesome computer generated Little Mermaid Dark Ride video..

beachclubbasics

Original Poster
Has anyone seen this video? I saw it last night and was wowed! I hope that this appears at Disnelyand in the next few years...if so I'll actually take a year off from my beloved WDW and go to DL.What do you think the chances of this being built are?

LM is our favorite movie. We bought our house at the NJ shore on Mermaid Drive because of Ariel (had I waited till POTC came out, I would have purchased a house a few streets away on Bucanneer because of Capt. Jack..lol).

If they build this in DL, do you think they will also add this to WDW?

I have a link to the video if anyone wants it..let me know. Also, I have heard this video is also in the bonus section of the Platinum edition of LM that came out last year ( we own this..19 year old daughter HAD to have it for Xmas.., but we have never looked at the bonus features..lol)

Shelby's Dad

Sure send the link my way....

Warning before you get "yelled" at. People are going to want you to just post link in this thread.
opps. Never mind....see you did. Thanks

Originally in the Little Mermaid Speical Edition DVD

I think this is the video clip that was in the Special Edition DVD of the Little Mermaid that was released a couple of years ago. The insight with the commentary track on was really cool. There is so much that goes into the development of these types of attractions that we never get to see. It is really amazing, but then again that is Disney's magic for you.

beachclubbasics

Original Poster
I think this is the video clip that was in the Special Edition DVD of the Little Mermaid that was released a couple of years ago. The insight with the commentary track on was really cool. There is so much that goes into the development of these types of attractions that we never get to see. It is really amazing, but then again that is Disney's magic for you.
I'm going to watch this again on the DVD later this afternoon with the kids. It is just such an awesome ride! I hope that it comes to fruition.

Lee

Adventurer
Move along folks...nothing to see here.
That Mermaid ride died years ago. It ain't gonna happen.
Although, much of the concept can be found in Nemo at Epcot.

beachclubbasics

Original Poster
Sorry..princess rant inside..

Move along folks...nothing to see here.
That Mermaid ride died years ago. It ain't gonna happen.
Although, much of the concept can be found in Nemo at Epcot.
I don't know.....this was posted to the blog on July 6th...I don't know how knowledgeable the writer is about what goes on backstage as Disney, but at least it's not an old article...makes it a little more encouraging.

Perhaps the Princess marketing blitz will also help this ride see the light of day. Although, sometimes Ariel is included with the princesses, sometimes she's not...though why they include Mulan is beyond me..she married a general, not a price or king. Ariel was BORN a princess, she didn't marry into the family like Cindy or Belle. Now how mean is that to ignore her??????

Technically, even Jasmine is not a princess in the truest sense of the word. and Pocahontas, who is sometimes included as a princess in some doll collections, isn't one. There were/are no Native American princesses.

Maybe if the LM Broadway play is successful it will revive Ariel's fan base and this ride will be built.

dave2822

I too have read / heard that this concept doesn't have much life left in it.

I enjoy the WDW shows that showcase the "Disney Decade" movies (FotLK, VotLM, BatB), and I understand that perhaps the best way to portray these movies in a theme park setting would be in the form of shows, because the animated movies themselves are broadway-esqe and it's a great way to show off the award winning music ..

.... but I still feel like more could have been coaxed out of those movies in the parks. After all, WDW has 2 Nemo and soon to be 2 Toy Story attractions ... sigh

beachclubbasics

Original Poster
What a shame! The execution of this ride alone is amazing....makes Peter Pan look like an anemic dark ride filled with motorized depatment store mannequins. And I won't even comment upon Snow white...

CThaddeus

Not to speak blasphemy (especially since what I am about to suggest is my wifes favorite ride), but it seems they could turn Peter Pan on the Magic Kingdom into this. the ride system looks about the same.

And because we all know Fantasyland has no room in it for development, we should kill an existing attraction that has one of the longest lines in the Magic Kingdom. **cough, cough 20000 Leagues cough, cough**.

beachclubbasics

Original Poster
And because we all know Fantasyland has no room in it for development, we should kill an existing attraction that has one of the longest lines in the Magic Kingdom. **cough, cough 20000 Leagues cough, cough**.

Ahhhh, 20K, my all-time favorite ride!!!!

I understand that supposedly 20k was fraught with problems such as the water and chlorine literally eating away at ride mechanisms, scenery, and AAs, but would have it been wonderful if they had either added Ariel and friends to the ride or rehabbed it so that it had a LM theming?

I have seen the TDS version and while it is great technologically, it just leaves me feeling sad when compared to our beloved 20K (it's just NOT the same). However, since none of that ride is in water, couldn't WDW erect the same ride in a building wheere the former 20K was (now the infamous Pooh's Play area)?

And that brings me back to Peter Pan....the day-glo black light look is getting old (don't go in wearing anything white..you'll go like a neon bar sign!)...and some of the AAs...well, let's just say that most days I've been there Wendy walking the plank looks like she's got some kind of neck tic going on. What's really funny is that our local boardwalk has the very same ships (the lager version that holds 4 though) and they fly in the air on a track over the pier and beach.....

I understand that Peter Pan is a classic...but I just want my Little Mermaid!!!!!!

DocMcHulk

Let the record show, I am not endorsing the idea. Just saying they look similar.

venooch333

Wasn't this supposed to be built in the 20000 Leagues site or that was teh orginal plan anyway:shrug: Or did i just dream that?:veryconfu

Jesùs_Carioca

Haha, for some reason I thought that the Ursula scene would've had potential beyond belief. What it was missing though was Ursula shouting "KEEEP SINGIIIIIIING" like a fool...oh man, my friends would've loved making fun of that. And the whole going "over and under water" ordeal was pretty creative.

I loved watching this video. It was great.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom