Avengers Campus - Reactions / Reviews

Brer Oswald

It's reasonable to assume Disney knew what would happen a month later when they made the ride announcement.

They certainly designed the ride before the deal was finalized, but I doubt they would have gone forward without assurances the deal was done.
I’m not understanding how your original argument makes any sense. They weren’t going to retheme a ride to a movie they didn’t have full control of...while they were in the middle of a contract that gave them control? But they will make a new ride based on the same movies they don’t have full control of...when their contract is in jeopardy?

Professortango1

I think the reason Guardians got Tower is because the thrill ride aspect. It's a little edgy in terms of Disney. TOT had that edgy feel work because it was a horror-themed ride. If it was re-themed to Spiderman, it might have seemed a little cheesy with Parker swinging in on the flat screen and asking if we're all okay. Guardians has that edgier tone which works with the ride and appeals to older guests.

That being said, I still hate Mission BO.

Giss Neric

I think the reason Guardians got Tower is because the thrill ride aspect. It's a little edgy in terms of Disney. TOT had that edgy feel work because it was a horror-themed ride. If it was re-themed to Spiderman, it might have seemed a little cheesy with Parker swinging in on the flat screen and asking if we're all okay. Guardians has that edgier tone which works with the ride and appeals to older guests.

That being said, I still hate Mission BO.
If they made Monsters After Dark a year round thing it would be way better than the original Mission BO.

TP2000

Considering their whole strategy for the parks is milking IP and The Avengers is the biggest one they have, anything less than A+ for their signature E-ticket will be a major embarrassment.

That argument was rock solid in 2019. But in 2021? I'm not so sure.

Don't forget, Disneyland is still closed. And it's closure will last much longer than a year.

TP2000

I’m also concerned with how the last couple “secondary rides” Disney has put out for new lands have not been extremely well received. Swirling Saucers kind of gets a pass since it’s a flat ride, but reception for Navi and Falcon have been mixed at best. Hope Spider Man doesn’t fall into that category either.

Swirling Saucers is a basic spinner, a fun little C Ticket that barely makes it over the threshold from being a B Ticket.

It was a cute add-on for Cars Land. But of course in WDW, it was a MAJOR NEW ATTRACTION! that had to help prop up an entire new land that had only one other new ride in it. That's not something any C Ticket is supposed to do. But out in WDW, they try and pretend a C Ticket can do that duty and they get interns in a Celebration cubicle farm to Tweet about it as if it was only slight less exciting than Pirates of the Caribbean.

At Disneyland, Mater's Junkyard Jamboree is simply a rather fun little C Ticket spinner with a cute theme.

At WDW, it's one of two small rides designed to prop up an entire new land in a theme park that has less than 10 rides. The result of that strategy in WDW was predictably tragic.

el_super

At WDW, it's one of two small rides designed to prop up an entire new land in a theme park that has less than 10 rides. The result of that strategy in WDW was predictably tragic.

It seems to be working out for them. That park was mostly E tickets and smaller exhibit/show attractions, and with most of the exhibit stuff gone, there's a gap that needs to be filled by smaller attractions. They are necessary in a theme park.

That said, Mater's Junkyard Jamboree isn't my favorite ride and I think the Alian Saucer ride is hot garbage compared to Mater.

Professortango1

Swirling Saucers is a basic spinner, a fun little C Ticket that barely makes it over the threshold from being a B Ticket.

It was a cute add-on for Cars Land. But of course in WDW, it was a MAJOR NEW ATTRACTION! that had to help prop up an entire new land that had only one other new ride in it. That's not something any C Ticket is supposed to do. But out in WDW, they try and pretend a C Ticket can do that duty and they get interns in a Celebration cubicle farm to Tweet about it as if it was only slight less exciting than Pirates of the Caribbean.

At Disneyland, Mater's Junkyard Jamboree is simply a rather fun little C Ticket spinner with a cute theme.

Remember when Mater's was supposed to have a giant animatronic Mater calling out the dance moves?

TP2000

Remember when Mater's was supposed to have a giant animatronic Mater calling out the dance moves?

Yes, they showed that at a D23 Expo years in advance. I think it was the 2009 Expo, their first one? I believe that was the year I was just standing at the model in a rather empty WDI pavilion and I got a personal walk-thru of the entire Cars Land model by a gracious lady Imagineer, who it turns out was Kathy Mangum the bigwig. Ha!

Not even a well-lubricated John Lassetter at the height of his power could prevent that budget cut to Mater's.

Travel Junkie

I’m not understanding how your original argument makes any sense. They weren’t going to retheme a ride to a movie they didn’t have full control of...while they were in the middle of a contract that gave them control? But they will make a new ride based on the same movies they don’t have full control of...when their contract is in jeopardy?

It's not hard. You said Spiderman should have been the subject of the TOT retheme. At the time the plan was to retheme TOT on both coasts and they could not do that with Spiderman. They could use GOTG on both coasts, which is why it was chosen.

They only green lit a Spiderman attraction once they knew the situation with Sony was being worked out.

Brer Oswald

It's not hard. You said Spiderman should have been the subject of the TOT retheme. At the time the plan was to retheme TOT on both coasts and they could not do that with Spiderman. They could use GOTG on both coasts, which is why it was chosen.

They only green lit a Spiderman attraction once they knew the situation with Sony was being worked out.
I understand your first point. They can’t use Spidey in Florida, so if they were for sure going to clone it, Guardians makes sense.

You’re second point is incorrect. They greenlit the Spidey ride before the Sony/Disney splitting drama. Unless you are implying that entire scenario was all optics, which, while possible, remains unconfirmed.

Travel Junkie

They greenlit the Spidey ride before the Sony/Disney splitting drama.

Don't confuse when things are announced vs when they know internally. I can tell you as someone who works in the industry they know well in advance of when things leak or announced.

Anyway, I'm done talking about it.

Brer Oswald

Don't confuse when things are announced vs when they know internally. I can tell you as someone who works in the industry they know well in advance of when things leak or announced.

Anyway, I'm done talking about it.
Didn’t Tom Holland call Iger, crying, in September of 2019, and Iger said “I’ll see what I can do”?... you know what, whatever.

No Name

The “log ride?” I’ve Honestly never heard anyone say that. Of course at DLR, you have so many APs that the odds are you will hear people calling it by the proper name. I get that the average guest is much less aware (which is also what I was getting at in my last post) but you could argue that the average guest at DLR is an AP, or at least someone who lives in the area and goes 1-2 times a year and does know better.
I live pretty far from any APers and I’ve never heard anyone call it “the log ride” or anything other than Splash Mountain. I hear the Haunted Mansion get called the Haunted House pretty often though.

You spin the truth so much you much me dizzy.

_caleb

I live pretty far from any APers and I’ve never heard anyone call it “the log ride” or anything other than Splash Mountain. I hear the Haunted Mansion get called the Haunted House pretty often though.
We always called Timber Mountain at Knott’s “the log ride.” Maybe Knott’s fans at DL used it for Splash?

EDIT: Just looked it up and it’s literally called “The Timber Mountain Log Ride.” And here I thought we were original!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom