Avengers Campus - Reactions / Reviews

Disney Analyst

In my opinion, that's a total mistake by Disney. Anyone that knows theme parks will compare this to the IoA Spidey ride, and it's really not gonna look great when everyone is talking about how Universal's Spider-Man is much better. If they really wanted to do this type of ride, they should have picked a different Marvel property to theme it to.

Maybe it won't be a big deal since this is on the west coast. If it somehow got built in Florida it would be very poorly received.

Yeah I mean, there will always be someone who's ridden both. I have ridden the OG, and will one day ride the DCA ride. But I am of the mind that I can differentiate the two... and likely enjoy both for various reasons.

That is if the DCA ride is well done.

Professortango1

In my opinion, that's a total mistake by Disney. Anyone that knows theme parks will compare this to the IoA Spidey ride, and it's really not gonna look great when everyone is talking about how Universal's Spider-Man is much better. If they really wanted to do this type of ride, they should have picked a different Marvel property to theme it to.

Maybe it won't be a big deal since this is on the west coast. If it somehow got built in Florida it would be very poorly received.

I think it was purposeful. Rather than have two competing E-Tickets with similar concepts and feelings, they went a completely different route so that comparing the two isn't even an option. If the main anchor for the land was a Spiderman E Ticket and it missed the mark, you're looking at a direct indication that Disney's Marvel theme park land isn't as good as Universal's. If they have three completely unique rides, it eliminates that comparison. Especially since both now have drop tower attractions in their super hero land.

Disney Analyst

Disney's also benefiting from not having their Spider-Man ride in the Orlando or Osaka area. Having it somewhere else will make it less likely to be compared with Universal's ride, though the internet will still do that to some extent.

I have no idea the actual statistics on this. But I have to imagine the majority of guests who attend Disneyland California have not visited Islands of Adventure.

mickEblu

I think it was purposeful. Rather than have two competing E-Tickets with similar concepts and feelings, they went a completely different route so that comparing the two isn't even an option. If the main anchor for the land was a Spiderman E Ticket and it missed the mark, you're looking at a direct indication that Disney's Marvel theme park land isn't as good as Universal's. If they have three completely unique rides, it eliminates that comparison. Especially since both now have drop tower attractions in their super hero land.

Good point but will the casual guest look at it that way? Then again, many casual guests might not even know a Spider-Man ride exists in Florida, let alone ridden it. If the ride was at USH, then perhaps they wouldn’t have gone the modest shooter route with Spider-Man at DCA.

I think sometimes it’s easy for people like us to forget the psyche of the casual Disneyland guest. I was a HUGE Disneyland fan from childhood through about 20. I mean late 90’s pre YouTube, I remember going to Disneyland.com and watching these terribly grainy 15 second “ride throughs” (more like snippets) they had up on the site. Then I took almost a decade “off” for various reasons. By the time I started visiting regularly again DCA was a brand new park and I was almost surprised to see TOT standing there. So if I can go from the fan I was to being surprised to see TOT at DCA then it’s safe to assume a lot of guests are just out of the loop. I’m not saying the parks should be built for the lowest common denominator. Just putting my 2 cents in. Granted, social media wasn’t around back then but if theme parks aren’t your interest they re not really going to be popping up on your feeds.

Professortango1

Good point but will the casual guest look at it that way? Then again, many casual guests might not even know a Spider-Man ride exists in Florida, let alone ridden it. If the ride was at USH, then perhaps they wouldn’t have gone the modest shooter route with Spider-Man at DCA.

I think sometimes it’s easy for people like us to forget the psyche of the casual Disneyland guest. I was a HUGE Disneyland fan from childhood through about 20. I mean late 90’s pre YouTube, I remember going to Disneyland.com and watching these terribly grainy 15 second “ride throughs” (more like snippets) they had up on the site. Then I took almost a decade “off” for various reasons. By the time I started visiting regularly again DCA was a brand new park and I was almost surprised to see TOT standing there. So if I can go from the fan I was to being surprised to see TOT at DCA then it’s safe to assume a lot of guests are just out of the loop. I’m not saying the parks should be built for the lowest common denominator. Just putting my 2 cents in. Granted, social media wasn’t around back then but if theme parks aren’t your interest they re not really going to be popping up on your feeds.

I mean, most people call Splash Mountain The Log Ride and called Haunted Mansion The Haunted House. I even have some die hard Disney fans who have been to WDW dozens of times and never been to USO nor want to because they are convinced that Disney is so much better and why waste money on a "lesser" park.

Considering Disney will even have lesser versions of attractions within their own parks, I don't think it affects anyone other than people like us. The fact that DHS has the bare bones Frozen Sing Along whereas DCA has the elaborate stage show shows that lay people don't really compare and contrast. We know the DLR Pirates is light years better than WDW's, but ask your average guest at either park and they won't know that the two rides are different much less than one is better or worse.

Universal does it too. I never thought the USH Mummy was bad until I went to USO.

mickEblu

I mean, most people call Splash Mountain The Log Ride and called Haunted Mansion The Haunted House. I even have some die hard Disney fans who have been to WDW dozens of times and never been to USO nor want to because they are convinced that Disney is so much better and why waste money on a "lesser" park.

Considering Disney will even have lesser versions of attractions within their own parks, I don't think it affects anyone other than people like us. The fact that DHS has the bare bones Frozen Sing Along whereas DCA has the elaborate stage show shows that lay people don't really compare and contrast. We know the DLR Pirates is light years better than WDW's, but ask your average guest at either park and they won't know that the two rides are different much less than one is better or worse.

Universal does it too. I never thought the USH Mummy was bad until I went to USO.

The “log ride?” I’ve Honestly never heard anyone say that. Of course at DLR, you have so many APs that the odds are you will hear people calling it by the proper name. I get that the average guest is much less aware (which is also what I was getting at in my last post) but you could argue that the average guest at DLR is an AP, or at least someone who lives in the area and goes 1-2 times a year and does know better.

Brer Oswald

Yeah I mean, there will always be someone who's ridden both. I have ridden the OG, and will one day ride the DCA ride. But I am of the mind that I can differentiate the two... and likely enjoy both for various reasons.

That is if the DCA ride is well done.
It’s nice that you will be able to appreciate both for their strengths. However, they are not (or should not) be targeting those who think that thoughtfully.

Marvel and Spider-Man appeal to the masses. The general audience that doesn’t really care about theme parks as intensely as we do, but wants the most exciting experiences. The same audience that has been saying “Universal is better than Disney because they have Harry Potter” for 10 years.

They will 100% compare the two Spider-Man rides. The web slinging may be neat, but the Universal ride will have more of the action, excitement, plot, and villains that are expected of a Spider-Man ride.

This was the one they should’ve gone all out with. They had the web slinging technology, all they needed were some cool animatronics, the villains, and a creative story. There’s no question that they could have, and should have, put Universal to shame.

DrAlice

I suspect the most common comparison you will hear in SoCal is between this ride and LegoLand's Ninjago ride. I just hope Disney executes it better. Ninjago is a little frustrating: you have to move your hands at just the correct speed to get it to work right. At least, that was our experience with it.

Disney Analyst

It’s nice that you will be able to appreciate both for their strengths. However, they are not (or should not) be targeting those who think that thoughtfully.

Marvel and Spider-Man appeal to the masses. The general audience that doesn’t really care about theme parks as intensely as we do, but wants the most exciting experiences. The same audience that has been saying “Universal is better than Disney because they have Harry Potter” for 10 years.

They will 100% compare the two Spider-Man rides. The web slinging may be neat, but the Universal ride will have more of the action, excitement, plot, and villains that are expected of a Spider-Man ride.

This was the one they should’ve gone all out with. They had the web slinging technology, all they needed were some cool animatronics, the villains, and a creative story. There’s no question that they could have, and should have, put Universal to shame.

I have a feeling, if and when they build the Avengers E-Ticket, it will fill the niche you describe above, and keep Spider-Man as a worthy component to a land that will eventually have two thrilling attractions.

Again, I believe the majority will not even be able to compare the two rides... I hadn't even heard of the Spider-Man ride at IOA until I did my ICP at Magic Kingdom... before that I was a total West Coast Brat, all I knew about in Orlando at that time was they had Harry Potter.

Brer Oswald

I have a feeling, if and when they build the Avengers E-Ticket, it will fill the niche you describe above, and keep Spider-Man as a worthy component to a land that will eventually have two thrilling attractions.

Again, I believe the majority will not even be able to compare the two rides... I hadn't even heard of the Spider-Man ride at IOA until I did my ICP at Magic Kingdom... before that I was a total West Coast Brat, all I knew about in Orlando at that time was they had Harry Potter.
I hope that the (probable) lacklustre reception of the Spidey ride will put things into perspective for them so that, whenever they decide to build that Avengers ride, they bring their A+ Game. I’m talking better than Rise of the Resistance.

fctiger

For some reason I'm really excited this ride! Not on a ROTR level but still generally excited. It looks like it will be a lot of fun and that's all I care about. Hopefully it will open before 2025.

Animaniac93-98

I hope that the (probable) lacklustre reception of the Spidey ride will put things into perspective for them so that, whenever they decide to build that Avengers ride, they bring their A+ Game. I’m talking better than Rise of the Resistance.

Considering their whole strategy for the parks is milking IP and The Avengers is the biggest one they have, anything less than A+ for their signature E-ticket will be a major embarrassment.

BrianLo

Original Poster

I think this is an unhealthy view that has crept up in the fan community and to some extent the halls of Imagineering. It's either an E-ticket or it's nothing? We need C-D tickets.

I'm not making excuses for the rollout and for all I know this attraction might be garbage, but the proposal is:

1) A Flight of Passage like ride
2) A Marvel Tower of Terror
3) A Toy Story Midway Mania Ride

Apart from Disney's ineptitude with a slow rollout, why are we saying the third attraction is the problem?

I don't see how that is inherently Disney doing worse than Universal. It's theoretically a pretty good land in terms of attractions *maybe not style (but let's be frank IOA isn't winning style points).

Brer Panther

The fact that DHS has the bare bones Frozen Sing Along whereas DCA has the elaborate stage show shows that lay people don't really compare and contrast.
Well, to be fair, California Adventure had the sing-along too for a while. The only reason they got rid of it is because they decided to have Frozen replace the Aladdin show.

Animaniac93-98

I think this is an unhealthy view that has crept up in the fan community and to some extent the halls of Imagineering. It's either an E-ticket or it's nothing? We need C-D tickets.

The problem is that everything they do has an E-ticket price tag, even if the end result is not up to that standard (intentionally or not).

This means expectations are higher than ever because corporate wants to see a return on investment and fans who hear what kind of money is being thrown around expect big things.

It's easier for them to do A-D tickets when they're packaged as part of a new land where the budgets for individual components are less likely to be scrutinized.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom