Avengers: Age of Ultron

flynnibus

Premium Member
Probably because it was.

Too bad they don't do "Road Show" style releases anymore with intermissions, overtures and exit music playing as you leave the theatre. If any movie could bring back that format, it's a guaranteed seller like The Avengers.

Movies like this is why i wish they brought back the intermission period! Cant get up and leave a film anymore... You'd think theaters would be for it... In increased concessions. Add magic bands and they can tell when everyone is back in the theater ;)

flynnibus

Premium Member
I hate those food service theaters. I went to the Downtown Disney Fork and Screen a few times and it was just an awful experience. The wait staff constantly back and forth was extremely distracting.

There are alot more concepts out there now. From restaurant setups to higher end concessions delievered to you... Lounge style... Just recliners... All mixes of stuff. We went from having basically three multiplexes in the area to the battle ground of movie experiences here. Within 10mins of me four new sites have opened in the last 2-3 years each trying to be unique (including alamo).

Waiting for the big movie theater collapse here :). Regal just finished opening a new one in the mall... With another 20 screen regal theater literally right across the street!

CaptainAmerica

No i know all about the 'last body' element... But that wasnt the only time they struggled to match ultron in one on one combat. Tho i think the internet angle is danced around obviously they talk alot about it in his 'escape' but honestly missed something about the vision taking it out. Maybe i had already fallen asleep at that point :p by the time the vision is born i was already just riding the film out. The switch from trying to make a body then to this whole spike thing was like...ooookkkkay.

Maybe it gets better after 3 times or something.... But seems hop and skip in the first pass. Hydra is building this army of bots... Which ultron takes over... Yet ultron choses to destroy by building his planet killing spike in the same spot? And this planet spike was concieved by ultron after he got the antimatium right? Or was the whole flying base and planet killer something he took over?
Too hard to break up your post on my phone but a few points.

1. There's no adamantium in this movie or anywhere in the MCU. Adamantium is controlled by Fox due to its connection to Wolverine.

2. Hydra didn't build the bots. They had this factory thing that Ultron took over and HE built the bots.

3. Ultron's personality is a product of Stark's. Stark routinely shows a tendency to go overboard in the name of security and Ultron took that to the next logical step. This theme of freedom versus security has been a common thread through Iron Man 1, 2, and 3, Hulk, and Cap 2.

CaptainAmerica

Sitting in the theater waiting for my second viewing, this time in 3D. The wife was kind enough to stay with the baby when I came on Thursday night but now she's with me. I'll share what she thinks as a much lesser fanboii than I am.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Too hard to break up your post on my phone but a few points.

1. There's no adamantium in this movie or anywhere in the MCU. Adamantium is controlled by Fox due to its connection to Wolverine.

2. Hydra didn't build the bots. They had this factory thing that Ultron took over and HE built the bots.

3. Ultron's personality is a product of Stark's. Stark routinely shows a tendency to go overboard in the name of security and Ultron took that to the next logical step. This theme of freedom versus security has been a common thread through Iron Man 1, 2, and 3, Hulk, and Cap 2.

Sorry vibranium- all look same

Hydra's factory had the army bits and the alien like ship... I prsume from concepts learned from the sceptre. I know ultron takes it over (like he did the stark drones), using it and somehow this is where this whole swarming army is created almost instantly... And this planet killer..that wipes out your own base of activity?? Unless i guess the perfect body was to be his only take away he needed

It was confusing in the start... Which was hydra trying to hide by surrendering... The twins or the stuff learned from the sceptre?

Dude's name was confusing as well... So close to the guy from xmen

DocMcHulk

Areas I felt the movie was weak... (SPOILER ALERT)
Ultron having this personality and character right from the start... seemed loopy

The final blow to Ultron... uhh.. why didn't you just do that 45mins ago?? If that's all it took... lame 'kill shot'
(SPOILERS)

Ultron said, and showed on several occasions, that he is "in" every one of his robots. He is more than a single machine. So, for him to be dead, every last thing he created must die. THe kill shot was the last living machine.

flynnibus

Premium Member
(SPOILERS)

Ultron said, and showed on several occasions, that he is "in" every one of his robots. He is more than a single machine. So, for him to be dead, every last thing he created must die. THe kill shot was the last living machine.

I understood that.. but the whole thing reeked like a Cobra Commander plot...

Animaniac93-98

Movies like this is why i wish they brought back the intermission period! Cant get up and leave a film anymore... You'd think theaters would be for it...increased concessions.

giphy.gif

"Let's all go to the lobby, and get ourselves some snacks!"

CaptainAmerica

Sorry vibranium- all look same

Hydra's factory had the army bits and the alien like ship... I prsume from concepts learned from the sceptre. I know ultron takes it over (like he did the stark drones), using it and somehow this is where this whole swarming army is created almost instantly... And this planet killer..that wipes out your own base of activity?? Unless i guess the perfect body was to be his only take away he needed

It was confusing in the start... Which was hydra trying to hide by surrendering... The twins or the stuff learned from the sceptre?

Dude's name was confusing as well... So close to the guy from xmen
The sceptre gave the twins their powers, that's the whole point. Hydra was using the sceptre to create enhanced soldiers (as they'd been trying to do since WW2 trying to replicate the Super Soldier Serum).

To me, Ultron lacked as a villain. His goofy personality and witty jokes actually made me indifferent to him. I expected him to come across as more evil, and he just didn't.
That's Ultron, straight from the comics. He's evil, yes, but more than that he's a broken, petulant child. His hatred of humanity side-by-side with his desire to BECOME humanity (by creating the android body that would become The Vision) is his driving force. It's an impotent envy.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The sceptre gave the twins their powers, that's the whole point.

I found that whole sequence confusing... surrender and let who carry on the work with the sceptre? Or just let the twins escape? Who this guy was... what they were doing.. I also somewhere missed the prelude to how Hydra had the thing in the first place. The whole von Strucker thing was just sit back and try to figure out what they are talking about.

Maybe you need more comics background for these films now.. I never read xmen or avengers comics

DocMcHulk

That's Ultron, straight from the comics. He's evil, yes, but more than that he's a broken, petulant child. His hatred of humanity side-by-side with his desire to BECOME humanity (by creating the android body that would become The Vision) is his driving force. It's an impotent envy.

Ah ok. I get what you mean. I've never read the comics, so I dont really have that reference.

CaptainAmerica

I found that whole sequence confusing... surrender and let who carry on the work with the sceptre? Or just let the twins escape? Who this guy was... what they were doing.. I also somewhere missed the prelude to how Hydra had the thing in the first place. The whole von Strucker thing was just sit back and try to figure out what they are talking about.

Maybe you need more comics background for these films now.. I never read xmen or avengers comics
Hydra is shown with the scepter and the twins in the post-credit scene of The Winter Soldier. SHIELD was in charge of the cleanup of New York after the Chitauri invasion and Hydra was operating as a sleeper organization within SHIELD all along.

The whole twins story is much different from the comics since the comics have them as mutant children of Magneto.

lazyboy97o

Definitely the middle film. It just seemed to plod along to fill time.

The mid-credits scene was way too on the nose and a real disappointment.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
You can get specific seat reservations for a movie???

At the theater by my home, yes. There are others a bit further away that are general admission but not by my house for shoes that are expected to sell out.

To get a decent seat I had to purchase tix over two weeks ago. They are huge leather reeling seats in a very comfortable venue so worth the extra effort and is nice to simply walk in knowing we have great seats.

fractal

Areas I felt the movie was weak... (SPOILER ALERT)

In the start of the Film Iron Man is all gung-ho about the avengers and being one (in contrast to his opposition prior). Then at the end... he just rolls off like he's retiring. Where's the pivot here? Or conflict?

Suddenly the black widow is all ***** and looking for love... another twist that just seems added without integration

We're all about busting hydra... and then they just disappear.

Ultron having this personality and character right from the start... seemed loopy

The final blow to Ultron... uhh.. why didn't you just do that 45mins ago?? If that's all it took... lame 'kill shot'

The lack of addressing thor's hammer and the vision.. they joke about it but Thor.. come on??

We have all these flashbacks from the witch.. but they seem to play more of a roll of setting up other films than actually driving this one (minus Tony's .. which I still have trouble connecting to it motivating him to make ultron)

Thor is the one most driven about the sceptre... yet banner is the one who decides if we get to keep it longer?

The hulk struggles at the end... the love twist with the widow.. helps the movie how? Oh wait, probably tests the water more for an origin movie for the widow

----

A reviewer on the radio I heard today nailed it I think. She said something to the effect of 'the movie felt like it was written from a memo

make sure you have
- one of these
- some of that
- throw in a love twist
- and include these guys

That resonated with me because I think it rang true about the lack of a strong story thread that really kept you locked in and made the different scenes necessary.

The action scenes really made me think about Comic book panels at times.. which was neat.. but the core thread holding the movie up for 150mins... lacking.

The best part of the film was plenty of Scarlet J throughout the film and looking at her so intensely

SPOILER ALERT

Agree with all of this. I was disappointed and I went into it without huge expectations. And what is it with these army of aliens/robots that pose absolutely no threat at all to the heroes? Their only purpose is to serve as fodder and target practice. Black Window throwing around mini Iron Men two at a time like they were scarecrows.

I think I enjoyed the IronMan vs. Hulk part the most, and that had a number of issues. Does everybody in the movie need to make little smart quips? Even the leader of Hydra after being walloped by Cap had to make one before he passed out. Kinda reminded me of the Roger Moore bond movies. The fight scene in the weapons boat was so full of holes - maybe from the 100 sailors with machine guns - thousands of bullets sprayed but nobody got hit except the plot. The Avengers are swinging and punching front, back and each side with amazing precision and anticipation but the Scarlett Witch was able to just walk up behind them and put them in a trace?? Only Hawkeye knew she was coming. It was a weird sequence. Ultron's goal was to terminate the Avengers - why didn't he rip Black Widow to shreds instead of throwing her into a conveniently located jail cell ???

When the Vision showed up I finally started to sit up in my seat thinking "OK, this is going to get good", but he mostly disappeared for the rest of the movie except for brief cameos.

Then the whole rip a big chunk of land out of the ground and use it as a meteor/extinction - how did that work? When did Ultron have the time to create this enormous mile long centrifuge "thing a ma giggy". I don't expect everything in these movies to be based on real world but I do expect at least it pass the test of "ok, that could happen" which allowed you to buy into the first movie. Also - why did Ultron always have his head tilted? Was it a crick in his neck? For me he never fulfilled the promise to be a truly great evil villian. The worst thing he really did was rip off that gun smugglers arm and later kill in the lamest way. I was hoping for a more "mad", sinister, Ultron with a true murderous hatred of mankind. Kill one innocent human with his bare metal hands and the entire way you view him changes.

Also, way too much time in Hawkeye's house. We have villains to develop and plot lines to fill in! In the end for me and again, the biggest let down was Ultron himself. Each time I came close to thinking he was a true bad- he flies around and gets his butt kicked. First by Tony, then Capt America. Now coming into the movie, based on the previews and everything I read about Ultron and even after his initial surfacing I would have never imagined that the good Captain could go one on one with him for a good 15 -30 minutes and lure him away from the thing he coveted the most ( the casket ). Ultron himself was a let down, as was his useless army, as was his stupid plot that had zero basis in reality by any stretch.

So Quick-Silver was killed saving Hawkeye. An Avenger down. I should have been upset by this but really wasn't - a little shocked but not "Oh No!" Just demonstrates how little he and his twin were developed ( as much as their fake accents). I guess this was Ultron's one big kill - and he did it piloting the Avengers ship and with machine guns? He makes this new super duper body and he has to resort to hijacking a plane and pulling the trigger on machine guns to finally kill someone? Who wrote this?

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom