Avengers: Age of Ultron

Tony Perkis

I mentioned this in another thread (or maybe earlier in this thread, I don't remember), but that's a product of the 3D conversion. I saw the movie twice, once in standard format and again in 3D. That opening scene looks WAY better in 3D but I agree it's pretty bad in standard format. I felt the same way about Alice in Wonderland. Some movies feel like you're supposed to be watching it in 3D and, if you're not, you're missing out.
Unfortunately, no matter the format, viewers had to sit through the story of Alice in Wonderland.

Everybody lost.

Matt_Black

That's on them. The series has done a good enough job of establishing that this guy is the end game villain.

Indeed. There's this thing called the Internet now... If they don't know while watching, they can certainly Google it later and get caught up. I didn't have that luxury when I got into comics.

doctornick

No, go ahead and gush. It's awesome that we're getting characters like that in movies with actual budgets. My friend's favorite comic book character is The Vision, and he's been waiting over a quarter of a century for this moment.

Me too. Absolutely love The Vision in the comics. I was a little disappointed in how little he appeared in the final fight scene, but do appreciate that they've left a lot of room for him to develop.

The hammer scene was awesome

Matt_Black

Me too. Absolutely love The Vision in the comics. I was a little disappointed in how little he appeared in the final fight scene, but do appreciate that they've left a lot of room for him to develop.

The hammer scene was awesome

He's been announced as one of the many heroes appearing in Civil War, so we might see that development.

Launchpad McQuack

Plus you know we'll get more, considering
he has the Mind Gem, so he is likely to play a fairly large role in the assembly of the Infinity Gauntlet for Infinity War.

Launchpad McQuack

I skimmed through this and mostly disagree with a lot of the stuff presented, the biggest thing being that Marvel can only make "bad" movies. I feel like some people's disappointment with Age of Ultron (which I loved) has opened up the floodgate to bash movies that were previously beloved. I have literally NEVER talked to anyone (in person, not angry internet people) who saw Avengers, Iron Man, Captain America: the Winter Soldier, or Guardians of the Galaxy and said it was a bad movie. IMO, Winter Soldier was actually the BEST movie of 2014 (including the Oscar-nominated films that I've seen).

fractal

I skimmed through this and mostly disagree with a lot of the stuff presented, the biggest thing being that Marvel can only make "bad" movies. I feel like some people's disappointment with Age of Ultron (which I loved) has opened up the floodgate to bash movies that were previously beloved. I have literally NEVER talked to anyone (in person, not angry internet people) who saw Avengers, Iron Man, Captain America: the Winter Soldier, or Guardians of the Galaxy and said it was a bad movie. IMO, Winter Soldier was actually the BEST movie of 2014 (including the Oscar-nominated films that I've seen).

I think he means going forward if Marvel continues with the "formula" used in Ultron. I certainly was a big fan of the previous movies but agree in large part with this article. The funny parts were not funny, the action parts were boring and the "heartstring" parts were predictable and even uncomfortable. Great special effects and action scenes but also repetitive with no drama or sense of real danger.

RobUK

I had a really weird sensation with this film, in that I utterly hated it immediately after, but then the longer it has been since the viewing I have started to like it more.

I'm a sucker for 'worlds', and one thing those Marvel things do is make environments and structures that suck you in. It's a real shame their actual stories don't hold up to as much.

erasure fan1

I thought it was a great popcorn movie for all the reasons he says it's not.
I agree. He says
wired said:
So let me get this out of the way: I Blanking love stupid popcorn movies. They can be about superheroes, dinosaurs, aliens, a bus that can’t slow down; I’m not picky.
Really? Seems pretty picky to me for a summer popcorn movie. To me the article comes off as someone who really doesn't like popcorn flicks but thinks by saying they do, makes their argument stronger.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Really? Seems pretty picky to me for a summer popcorn movie. To me the article comes off as someone who really doesn't like popcorn flicks but thinks by saying they do, makes their argument stronger.

I think he articulated pretty well why just being able to enjoy 'empty fun' doesn't mean there is no difference between a good movie and a bad movie. There is no question at all for me that Avengers 1 worked so much better than Avengers 2... even on repeats for Avengers 1.

Same goes for movies like T2 vs T3.. or Dark Knight vs Batman Returns.. just because you want a empty film 'just for fun film' doesn't mean 'anything goes and just get it on screen'.

doctornick

I agree. He says

Yeah, the article pretty much reads that Age of Ultron "wrecks popcorn flicks" by not doing a bunch of things that popcorn flicks don't generally do. In reading the article, it simply sounds like he just doesn't like popcorn flicks.

Shaman

Saw this today. Theater was still pretty packed, especially for a Saturday morning showing a month after.

I personally felt this movie was a bit better than the first. But, I think it helped that I'd watched all the films and TV shows leading up to Ultron. There were some slow moments, and all the characters from the various stories showing up was a bit overwhelming. Funny parts were awesome.

Fun movie.

Wags14

I enjoyed Ultron, thought Joss was in a tough place in incorporating so many different and exciting characters into one movie. He made some mistakes, but overall did very well. Still think Winter Soldier and Guardians of the Galaxy are the top two Marvel movies, but this one may not be too far behind. We'll see where they go from here Civil War may lead to a lot of disgruntled fans, or perhaps create some needed excitement/energy... we'll see.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom