Avatar's first sequel delayed until late 2017

Daveeeeed

"I don't want to go head-to-head with 'Star Wars.' That would be stupid. And hopefully they won't go head-to head with us," Director James Cameron said.

http://www.gamenguide.com/articles/...-with-star-wars-new-plot-details-revealed.htm
If you haven't been following, Avatar 2 has been pushed back many times to further perfect the script, and to wait for underwater motion capture technology to fully develop. And now apparently due to a conflicting release date with Star Wars: Episode 8.

Last edited:

Daveeeeed

This is taking way too long and I think Avatar 2,3,4 will end up bombs. 2 will probably make money then down hill from there.

First movie was a formula movie with 3D, it isn't a big deal any more.
It will do very well if the story is very good, if not it will be like Alice into the looking glass, but due to the amount of time they've spent on it I assume if they have a long marketing campaign then it will cross 1B worldwide. Hype buildup is important like what Marvel does for its movies. The Secret Life of Pets is probably perfect example of a well done marketing strategy. That will be key.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Here is a story about the latest Avatar movie news:
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...avatar-4-avatar-5-james-cameron-a7554601.html
Script 5 is finished and Avatar 2 will likely be released on 12/20/18. It also included the following link that talks about the movies being 3-D, without having to wear glasses.
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...uels-release-date-in-3d-glasses-a7392971.html

Since they aren't even going to start motion capture until August and he is focusing on all three films at once, I am skeptical that he will have the first one ready by 12/2018.

PorterRedkey

Since they aren't even going to start motion capture until August and he is focusing on all three films at once, I am skeptical that he will have the first one ready by 12/2018.
He also said he would be in production from now until August. So we'll see. I think that is the target. Also, there are 4 more movies, not 3.
However, I forgot they were filming at the same time so, you could be right.
Do you remember how long it took Peter Jackson to do The Hobbit movies?

Edit: It took Jackson 2 and half years to do 3 movies, so 4 in less than 2 years would be pushing it.

Perhaps he could stage the production so that the first film will be done by 12/20/18 even if there is more shooting to do?

Last edited:

Princess Leia

I've said it before, I am skeptical that all four sequels will ever see the light of day.
If they do, they're coming out at least a decade after the first (not a huge deal, if we look at the success of Jurassic World). Cameron's stubbornness about wanting these movies to be filmed in a completely different format (including a new type of 3D) is probably what is setting him (and these movies) back. The technology is there to make these movies now, if they were to be made like the first Avatar. It's even been updated several times. If Cameron chose to film it that way, we would have had at least 2 sequels, and the property wouldn't seem as obscure as it does now.

Princess Leia

At this point, I think the Avatar movies share some traits with George R.R. Martin's 'A Song of Ice and Fire' (aka the Game of Thrones books). GRRM started wrote and published the first 3 in the 1990s-2000... and then stalled due to not figuring out how to assemble some characters in one location. The books were initially planned as a trilogy, they're super lengthy, and the person behind the series keeps pushing the release date back for the next installment every year. I'm hopeful that The Winds of Winter (book 6) is published this year, considering how half of the plot seems to have already been on the show, but who knows at this point.

Note to Cameron- don't be like GRRM.

PorterRedkey

Even if they do, it doesn't mean all 4 will get finished. The way these movies are made "filming" is only a tiny part of the process.
All 4 scripts are written. The only way they won't get made now is if Cameron loses interest in the project. I can't see that happening since he has spent so long developing the movies and the tech to shoot them.

These movies seem to be a passion project of his and he has the money to make them happen.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom