Avatar's first sequel delayed until late 2017

lazyboy97o

Avatar was officially budgeted at $237 million. Other estimates put the cost between $280 million and $310 million for production and at $150 million for promotion... the estimates I'm hearing for Avatar-land are "pushing $1 billion"... I would think the sequels would cost less since much of the technology/renderings are already done, but yeah, the cost of the series as a whole just to produce (not even to market) could come close to $1 billion...
As time goes on digital models become less useful as the modeling, animation and rendering technology advances.

DarthMileZ

Game over man, game over! :)

and this one

kvsc.gif

JohnD

I'm warming to the idea of Avatarland but 4 more movies? Come on. Avatar was an event movie with large blue people to see in 3D. People went for the 3D experience. It's been done. What else is there to see?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
The movie was the highest grossing movie worldwide of all time. It, like every movie has it's flaws, but it was truly a phenomenon. The land itself has an opportunity to be visually stunning and I fully expect it to satisfy that. But for the land to be considered a success, the attractions need to be great, just like any other land. You don't have to care about the movie. If the attractions are great, the intellectual property is irrelevant.

If the attractions suck however....

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I am reluctant to bet against Cameron turning out good work, but I am really skeptical that this story can be stretched into 4 good sequels. I also think there is a .001% chance that all four will ever get made.

For crying out loud the movie was the first 3D movie which did not make your eyes bleed from eyestrain, It was visually STUNNING, unfortunately the plot did not match the visuals in the least. It was Ferngully with Blue Cat People. It's unwatchable in 2D.

JohnWD

I'm warming to the idea of Avatarland but 4 more movies? Come on. Avatar was an event movie with large blue people to see in 3D. People went for the 3D experience. It's been done. What else is there to see?
Let's hope creative people will always exist, or the future will be very boring!

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Let's hope creative people will always exist, or the future will be very boring!

Correct. Which is why I'm making my 3D movie, "Cubie!" It is an 89 minute, thought provoking fiesta of fun while you watch Cubie! the Cube spin and take breaks when she's tired in 3D. It is kind of a sequel to my video game, "Dottie!" where you could move Dottie the Dot anywhere in the area designated by the black circle.

JohnWD

Correct. Which is why I'm making my 3D movie, "Cubie!" It is an 89 minute, thought provoking fiesta of fun while you watch Cubie! the Cube spin and take breaks when she's tired in 3D. It is kind of a sequel to my video game, "Dottie!" where you could move Dottie the Dot anywhere in the area designated by the black circle.
I think I am still hoping creative people will always exist. I know that critical people will always exist.

BrianV

Aliens was bad... even though many would disagree. Alien 3 was better and stuck towards the original

Alien 3 better than Aliens?! That's crazy talk. May be we should include aliens vs predator 2?

Aliens is one of the finest sci-fi films of all time. Certainly top 10! I would entertain alien vs aliens debate and could argue either side.

But, in a conciliatory tone, I suppose to each his own...some people also liked highlander 2.

prfctlyximprct

Hello mister Cameron, how about successfully releasing a sequel before jumping the gun on making more. Is avatar still relevant?! When did the first one come out? I feel like I'll be turned intonashes by the time the next one is released. Okay.. To be honest I never even watched the first one so I don't know why I'm so bitter.

JohnWD

Hello mister Cameron, how about successfully releasing a sequel before jumping the gun on making more. Is avatar still relevant?! When did the first one come out? I feel like I'll be turned intonashes by the time the next one is released. Okay.. To be honest I never even watched the first one so I don't know why I'm so bitter.
Because your birthday trip is so far away? :)

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Alien 3 better than Aliens?! That's crazy talk. May be we should include aliens vs predator 2?

Aliens is one of the finest sci-fi films of all time. Certainly top 10! I would entertain alien vs aliens debate and could argue either side.

But, in a conciliatory tone, I suppose to each his own...some people also liked highlander 2.

I can actually understand that opinion if it's from a person who likes the gothic horror style of the first movie. Aliens is really just a flat out action movie, Alien 3 goes back more to the style of the original. I personally prefer Aliens, but I can understand the ops feeling on this.

BrianV

I can actually understand that opinion if it's from a person who likes the gothic horror style of the first movie. Aliens is really just a flat out action movie, Alien 3 goes back more to the style of the original. I personally prefer Aliens, but I can understand the ops feeling on this.

Fair enough!!

DarthMileZ

it kinda made the aliens seem weak tho. you look at alien, she really struggled to kill one alien, in aliens she killed hundreds if not thousands and a queen... yet in alien 3 she struggled again...

Alien 3 also goes back to the haunted house in space idea that ridley wanted

Mike S

it kinda made the aliens seem weak tho. you look at alien, she really struggled to kill one alien, in aliens she killed hundreds if not thousands and a queen... yet in alien 3 she struggled again...

Alien 3 also goes back to the haunted house in space idea that ridley wanted
Well, they didn't have guns in Alien if I remember correctly.

ToTBellHop

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom