Avatar's first sequel delayed until late 2017

WhatJaneSays

I don’t think there was really any “flinching” involved. Avatar 2 isn't in any kind of meaningful pre-production and the chance of it coming out for the holiday 2017 slot was getting smaller and smaller. Someone on Cameron's team likely straight up told someone on the Disney team “Hey, were going to vacate this release date” and they moved SW VIII in advance to claim that spot.

FoozieBear

Say the Avatar movies flop and/or become well despised. What happens then? Disney's stuck with a franchise no one will really care for.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Say the Avatar movies flop and/or become well despised. What happens then? Disney's stuck with a franchise no one will really care for.
When will y'all stop linking the movie to the new land????? The ONLY thing tying to the 2 together is the LAND, not the story. People keep saying that they didn't like the movie, so the land is going to suck? What?!?!? Well, I don't like any of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, but I love the ride. The two are completely separate, and it appears that Pandora is going to be a very immersive land. No one is even going to care if there is a second movie.

DisneyRoy

When will y'all stop linking the movie to the new land????? The ONLY thing tying to the 2 together is the LAND, not the story. People keep saying that they didn't like the movie, so the land is going to suck? What?!?!? Well, I don't like any of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, but I love the ride. The two are completely separate, and it appears that Pandora is going to be a very immersive land. No one is even going to care if there is a second movie.

Bingo. If the land is well designed and well themed (as this sure looks like) then the crowds will come and people will be amazed. The IP doesn't matter if the land is amazing in its own right.

beast

I have no interest in "Star Wars" or "Harry Potter", but I'll still go on the attractions. I still haven't gotten around to watching "Avatar", but I'll go on those attractions when they open.

TinkerBelle8878

Maybe the tie in to Avatar is unnecessary. Disney would have been better off just going back to the old idea from the beginning of the park which included dragons. Overall , I'm sure people would have more interest in that than anything having to do with Avatar. Even though you don't have to be a fan of a movie to go on the attractions and to visit that area of the park, its not much of a draw with that name now, is it? Maybe back when the movie came out but now? It sounds dated especially in light of the news of the sequels being pushed indefinitely. I wonder if they'll drop the Avatar name seeing how it might be pretty irrelevant.

HouseHacker97

Maybe the tie in to Avatar is unnecessary. Disney would have been better off just going back to the old idea from the beginning of the park which included dragons. Overall , I'm sure people would have more interest in that than anything having to do with Avatar. Even though you don't have to be a fan of a movie to go on the attractions and to visit that area of the park, its not much of a draw with that name now, is it? Maybe back when the movie came out but now? It sounds dated especially in light of the news of the sequels being pushed indefinitely. I wonder if they'll drop the Avatar name seeing how it might be pretty irrelevant.

They definitely wouldn't drop the name? and no one is going to be disappointed with it's tie in on opening day. Disney is obviously going to advertise it in tandem with the Avatar franchise as well as the upcoming movie. I don't think people who have seen the movie will forget how amazing it was (and it's going to remind them if they did) and i think the expansion will generate more interest in the movie too.

Marlins1

Not sure how you would explain building floating mountains, flying banshees and a bioluminescent forest without an Avatar tie-in. And I'm pretty sure you don't scrap those projects after spending a few hundred million on them. I did not see the movie in theatres and have never been able to sit through the whole thing on TV but I think this land will be fascinating and I really look forward to it.

boufa

This is a silly conversation being led by people who didn't want the land in the first place, and are trying to find any window to think that they may cancel the project and get rid of it. News flash.. .it isn't going to happen. The only thing that could kill the land would be terrible, terrible media attention. Something even worse than racism, mass musrder, etc. Maybe if they find the real aliens, and discovered that they were harvested as workers and their bones were used to build the buildings... but realistically, there is nothing that can change the plans. A severe flop or cancellation of the movies does not take away from the fact that Avatar was the highest grossing movie of all time. Disney may adjust their marketing based on current opinions, and results of movies, but it certainly isn't going to cancel the project ot change it in any way.. that ship has sailed.

BubbaQuest

The problem isn't if the rides will be successful or not, I'm sure AK will see a big spike in attendance. The problem is a possible loss (possible huge loss) in merchandising revenue. The impact won't be Avatarland, but future development.

If Disney has to rely on mostly park ticket sales because there is no new merchandise, the ROI on Avatarland may have just jumped from 5 years to 10 years.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom