Avatar's first sequel delayed until late 2017

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Avatar II is going to be a flop, I do not understand why people liked Avatar.
Avatar, is "Dancing with Wolves = with CGI Aliens". It is supposed to make us feel bad about exploiting the "Noble Savages".
Late 2017, or early 2018 .... or whatever is all good with me.

I would tend to agree if it was any other director. Cameron has a very good track record, even when it comes to sequels.

twebber55

I would tend to agree if it was any other director. Cameron has a very good track record, even when it comes to sequels.
why do you agree?
i dont understand that logic at all
it was an incredibly successful movie both in theaters and home market (nearly doubling the avengers in home market sales)
no way does the next movie do what the first did but no way will it flop
too many people who are smarter than us are buying into marketing avatar
i can easily seeing it doing tranformers or fast and furious money

and we both agree the success of the land has little to do with the success of the movie, in other words it wont hurt it really could only help
anyways it seems like any news that comes out about avatar this debate comes up

twebber55

Avatar, is "Dancing with Wolves = with CGI Aliens". It is supposed to make us feel bad about exploiting the "Noble Savages".
and dances with wolves was a great movie LOL
the movie supposed to get you to think about our environment and to conserve this beautiful planet
you know conservation a core theme for animal kingdom

danlb_2000

Premium Member
why do you agree?
i dont understand that logic at all
it was an incredibly successful movie both in theaters and home market (nearly doubling the avengers in home market sales)
no way does the next movie do what the first did but no way will it flop
too many people who are smarter than us are buying into marketing avatar
i can easily seeing it doing tranformers or fast and furious money

and we both agree the success of the land has little to do with the success of the movie, in other words it wont hurt it really could only help
anyways it seems like any news that comes out about avatar this debate comes up

I was a big fan of Avatar when it came out, saw it twice in the movies, and a few times on TV, but I don't find myself having any interest in watching it again. I think it's success was driven heavily by the visuals. I don't think there is any real pent up demand for the sequels, the movie hasn't really become a big cultural icon like other franchises.

I agree that the next movie won't flop, mainly because I have confidence that Cameron will do something interesting with it that will draw the audience back. Of course if it only does half of what Avatar I did, it will be deemed a flop by a lot of people.

twebber55

I was a big fan of Avatar when it came out, saw it twice in the movies, and a few times on TV, but I don't find myself having any interest in watching it again. I think it's success was driven heavily by the visuals. I don't think there is any real pent up demand for the sequels, the movie hasn't really become a big cultural icon like other franchises.

I agree that the next movie won't flop, mainly because I have confidence that Cameron will do something interesting with it that will draw the audience back. Of course if it only does half of what Avatar I did, it will be deemed a flop by a lot of people.
typically most if not all movies that are just one movie loses its luster

that was my next question what defines a flop? 1.4 billion?

i think a ton of people will want to return to Pandora
i also think that will be the big draw at DAK

TyTrap

I think the reason people liked avatar is because it brought something to a movie that is missing, a sense of awe and wonder. Couple that with James Cameron and his utilization of new film technologies and techniques, there's also a sense of spectacle. I agree the story is very basic but it worked for what James was trying to accomplish. outside of the whole supremacy of nature message this is a film that is just pure escapism. It's a fantastic world that you just got lost in. Hence why Disney is making a land for it in AK.

DisneyCane

He better hope that Star Wars 8 doesn't get bumped to December like 7 was.

I don't think "Force Awakens" was bumped to December. I don't think they wanted it released in the same time frame as Avengers: Age of Ultron. The Avatar track record showed that something highly anticipated could make a boatload of money released the week before Christmas so I think that's why they went with it.

Episode 8 is already scheduled for May 2017. Production has started. I'm sure Disney and Lucasfilm know how to make a movie in under 18 months. The reason for normal sequel spacing is that they don't get green lit until after the success of the prior film. This entire trilogy was already green lit.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I don't think "Force Awakens" was bumped to December. I don't think they wanted it released in the same time frame as Avengers: Age of Ultron. The Avatar track record showed that something highly anticipated could make a boatload of money released the week before Christmas so I think that's why they went with it.

Episode 8 is already scheduled for May 2017. Production has started. I'm sure Disney and Lucasfilm know how to make a movie in under 18 months. The reason for normal sequel spacing is that they don't get green lit until after the success of the prior film. This entire trilogy was already green lit.

According to this article, Disney did originally want it to be a summer release, but that was pretty early on in the process..

http://www.mtv.com/news/1718092/jj-abrams-star-wars-episode-vii-infinitely-better/

DisneyRoy

danlb_2000

Premium Member

You were saying? ;)

http://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/new...-until-end-of-2017/ar-BBotWlP?ocid=spartandhp

SJN1279

It will be interesting to see what happens. We get multiple blockbusters at one time during the summer, having two at Christmas might not be a problem.

Disney wouldn't put Star Wars up against Avatar and hurt its gross just as the new land is set to open. Avatar is getting bumped!

MarkTwain

Hmmm... think it was Cameron reacting to the new Star Wars VIII release date?

I hope Disney didn't just sour their relationship with him by pushing Star Wars back.

croboy82

I'm sure Disney checked up on how far the Avatar movies are because of the opening of the land and they probably knew it wouldn't make it end of 2017 so felt secure to bump star wars8 there.

I'm sure Disney wants both movies to do well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom