spacemt354

Chili's
But likewise I don't understand why it is costing close to $2billion on it though. The way I see it there has been a lack of true investment 2 rides + merch/dining + nighttime entertainment doesn't cut it anymore for me to be excited.

Carsland was 3 rides + merch/dining - nighttime entertainment and WWoHP was 3 rides (2 already existing) + merch/dining + entertainment.

While I'm not suggesting that Avatar will be on the scale and generate as much enthusiasm as the others, I am quite excited if this turns out to be true.

Tim_4

Original Poster
When I read what you post, I thought by scope and scale, that you were talking about...

FLE: Second Dumbo, Enchanted Tales with Belle, The Little Mermaid, Seven Dwarf's Mine Coaster, Goofini, Fairytale Hall, B&TB Area, Ariel M&G, Circusland M&G

DCA: Toy Story Midway Mania!, Mickey's Sun Wheel, Blue Sky Cellar, Buena Vista Street, Silly Symphony Swings, World of Color, Ariel's Undersea Adventure, Goofy's Sky School, Cars Land, Radiator Springs Racers, Luigi's Tires, Mater's Junkyard Jamboree

...not...

FLE: $350m-$500m (or whatever it was)
DCA: $1.1bn

Attractions, not money... (although in both of the above lists, there are refthemes - not a lot you can retheme in DAK at the moment.)
I was talking dollars. Based on dollars, what you said means my original statement applies.
As do I. Infrastructure is boring, but very necessary.
Boring, necessary, and really expensive.

Sue_Vongello

As do I. Infrastructure is boring, but very necessary.

So is brushing my teeth and working out ... sure they are vital to a healthy body but even if I do all that stuff I am not assured of a date on Saturday night, I still have to have personality, the "fun" part and some sort of substance under my blonde head ... (yes I know, its hard for a blonde!!) ... anyway my illustration is not so subtle ...

SirLink

So is brushing my teeth and working out ... sure they are vital to a healthy body but even if I do all that stuff I am not assured of a date on Saturday night, I still have to have personality, the "fun" part and some sort of substance under my blonde head ... (yes I know, its hard for a blonde!!) ... anyway my illustration is not so subtle ...

Yes, exactly and infrastructure shouldn't end up costing $2billion for what next gen is costing I know of more MMO's who have had half's/quarters/eightieths of $2billion to launch products in multiple territories with multiple language support on multiple server farms with payment systems. It simply is ridiculous the money they are spending.

Also the lack of new rides/shows in the World has gone on for far too long. To put it another way if half a billion only nets:
-(1) E-ticket
-(1) C-ticket
-Some merchandise carts
-Some food carts

Disney should fumigate the entirety of WDI if that is all you get for half a billion

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member

Makes me wonder if I should've spent $7800 on my toupee.

lazyboy97o

Yes, exactly and infrastructure shouldn't end up costing $2billion for what next gen is costing I know of more MMO's who have had half's/quarters/eightieths of $2billion to launch products in multiple territories with multiple language support on multiple server farms with payment systems. It simply is ridiculous the money they are spending.
Your dental costs are going to jump if you don't brush your teeth daily.

Disneyhead'71

FLE-$425 million
Cars Land- $575 million
DCA Do-Over- $1.5 Billion (includes the above $575 million)

WWOHP 1.0-$265 million
WWOHP 2.0- $500+ million

That said, I have heard the the DAK nighttime show is basically World of Color with a different theme and a designated amphitheater (think WDW's Fantasmic vs DL's Fantasmic). They are not planning on a nighttime safari, but keeping the RIDES open. And I am surprised that no one has mentioned the Ring of Fire nighttime parade that is rumored to be in the works. And the budget for Pandora: The World of Avatar is $500 million. Avatar, nighttime spectacular, ring of fire parade, and parkwide lighting package is close to a solid $1 Billion.

So NextGen's $2 Billion, DAK's $1 Billion, DHS's who knows how much. I hope TDO saved all that money they didn't spend on attractions and maintenance over the past decade. They are going to need it.

twebber55

FLE-$425 million
Cars Land- $575 million

WWOHP 1.0-$265 million
WWOHP 2.0- $500+ million

That said, I have heard the the DAK nighttime show is basically World of Color with a different theme and a designated amphitheater (think WDW's Fantasmic vs DL's Fantasmic). They are not planning on a nighttime safari, but keeping the RIDES open. And I am surprised that no one has mentioned the Ring of Fire nighttime parade that is rumored to be in the works. And the budget for Pandora: The World of Avatar is $500 million. Avatar, nighttime spectacular, ring of fire parade, and parkwide lighting package is close to a solid $1 Billion.

So NextGen's $2 Billion, DAK's $1 Billion, DHS's who knows how much. I hope TDO saved all that money they didn't spend on attractions and maintenance over the past decade. They are going to need it.
if this indeed happens DAK s attendance will jump significantly....IMO...ring of fire parade is very intruiging

djlaosc

Is this a different night time parade to the one that was proposed years ago? Rivers of Light?

SirLink

FLE-$425 million
Cars Land- $575 million

WWOHP 1.0-$265 million
WWOHP 2.0- $500+ million

So wait a parade, an ampitheatre and some lights is coming to $500million? Some of blame has to be on WDI. Why the hell are they billing entertainment and lights at half a billion o_O

twebber55

So wait a parade, an ampitheatre and some lights is coming to $500million? Some of blame has to be on WDI. Why the hell are they billing entertainment and lights at half a billion o_O
maybe more infrastructure is needed with extended night time hours..just a guess

Disneyhead'71

It is not just an amphitheater, it is a World of Color scope show WITH an amphitheater. A state of the art nighttime parade with color changing LED lighting and programming and real fire. And a parkwide lighting package. There will also be some other infrastructure upgrades. But I do agree that the price tag is high, but it is Disney so the price only makes sense to them. I suspect that if Avatar balloons in cost the parade will be the first thing to get axed.

Figments Friend

Sounds like the new 'Avatar' themed area will be what DAK has been waiting for : a solid excuse to stay open at night.
I love the way the Park looks at night....absolutely beautiful themed lighting in many areas. It is a real shame that most Guests miss this, exspecially now that even EMH have been discontinued at DAK.

With 'Avatar' and the new info regarding what may come to pass, the Park will have a real night time draw and make it possible for Guests to linger there longer.
The added Pandorian theme fits rather nicely into what could be a attractive night time show.

bubbles1812

It is not just an amphitheater, it is a World of Color scope show WITH an amphitheater. A state of the art nighttime parade with color changing LED lighting and programming and real fire. And a parkwide lighting package. There will also be some other infrastructure upgrades. But I do agree that the price tag is high, but it is Disney so the price only makes sense to them. I suspect that if Avatar balloons in cost the parade will be the first thing to get axed.
Wait.. So this is what your saying is on the books currently as part of the plan? Or is this speculation? Thought they weren't going to spend the 500 mil on Avatar, wanted to chop off at least 100 million of that? Or did Cameron actually get them to agree to the whole budget? And now your telling me Disney has tentatively agreed to add another 500 million for a parade, lights, an nighttime show?

Color me... Skeptical. Lol. Just doesn't sound like the Disney management I've come to know and love ;)

GiveMeTheMusic

Boring, necessary, and really expensive.

I think the resentment of MM+ doesn't stem from it being infrastructure - it stems from it being largely unnecessary infrastructure. There's no compelling reason to move to wristbands other than data mining and upsells.

If a billion had been spent on truly NECESSARY infrastructure upgrades - like to resort transportation, a crumbling problem that no one wants to address - you wouldn't hear a peep.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom