News Avatar Experience coming to Disneyland

October82

If this goes in DCA I feel like Disney is eventually going to reach a similar problem that they have now. Their solution to what they think is a limiting theme is adding single IP or franchise based lands (and Im assuming eventually changing the theme?). What happens when you land a popular IP that lies outside of those land that already exist that you've now devoted to a single thing? I'm doubtful they'll ever want to do anything original but lets say that happens, where would you put something like that between Carsland, Marvel land, Pixar Pier, and now Pandora? It's so incredibly nearsighted to me.

I agree with you. I also don't think Disney management really understands (or perhaps more accurately - cares) what makes a theme park more than a random collection of attractions, and perhaps more importantly, shops and restaurants. It seems like they (for better or worse) are rewarded for that lack of care by ever increasing value delivered to the shareholders.

As much as I'd like to think Disney is trying to solve the problem of a limiting theme chose in the late 1990s by single IP lands, I think it's more likely that they simply want to sell you a Disney+ subscription, a ticket to see the new Avatar movie, AND a vacation to see your favorite blue aliens. It just doesn't matter whether it belongs in some abstract way between your favorite anthropomorphic cars, your favorite anthropomorphic toys, and your favorite comic book characters from ~decade old films.

I'll add that the problem with DCA 2001 wasn't theme but execution.

October82

No way. They know they need more capacity at DCA. Not replacements. Plus, the Grand Californian.

Disney has a mixed track record - at best - on prioritizing capacity. DHS is an obvious example of moving mainly laterally, but Star Wars Land at Disneyland traces its roots to efforts to add park capacity going back more than a decade. Even as a pure addition, it hasn't addressed the crowding and low(er) average attraction per guest numbers in that park.

One thing Disney has shown is that they're just as happy having fewer guests spending more than they are having more guests through the gates. If they think Navi River Run and Soarin' over Pandora will increase average guest spend, they'll do that.

I also wouldn't put the "Grand Na'vidian" past this company - single IP hotels are found at every resort.

mickEblu

Disney has a mixed track record - at best - on prioritizing capacity. DHS is an obvious example of moving mainly laterally, but Star Wars Land at Disneyland traces its roots to efforts to add park capacity going back more than a decade. Even as a pure addition, it hasn't addressed the crowding and low(er) average attraction per guest numbers in that park.

One thing Disney has shown is that they're just as happy having fewer guests spending more than they are having more guests through the gates. If they think Navi River Run and Soarin' over Pandora will increase average guest spend, they'll do that.

I also wouldn't put the "Grand Na'vidian" past this company - single IP hotels are found at every resort.

Disney isn't in a place to spend billion(s) for a lateral move or slightly better capacity. Also, if they want to get more people over to DCA they need to add and not replace stuff.

Is Avatar the property you go with to increase guest spend? At least in any meaningful way that makes it worth the billions it would cost to retheme a land and two attractions? I think what Pandora does is it moves the needle in getting more bodies to the park because it translates to a theme park land beautifully. I don't think the merch is flying off there shelves. As a new build absolutely worth it. As a replacement for one of the best lands in the park that would also require an extensive renovation of your flagship hotel? Not worth it.

Lastly, every time Iger mentions this new land he also speaks of the desire to increase capacity.

Last edited:

October82

Disney isn't in a place to spend billion(s) for a lateral move or slightly better capacity. Also, if they want to get more people over to DCA they need to add and not replace stuff.
I think Disney doesn't especially care about capacity as long as average guest spend goes up. That's what matters to the bottomline.
Is Avatar the property you go with to increase guest spend? At least in any meaningful way that makes it worth the billions it would cost to retheme a land and two attractions?
Do I think Avatar is a property that will do that? No, not especially. But I frequently have different views from Disney's accountants. As much as I want to agree with you, I think it's disturbingly plausible that Disney goes the retheme rather than expand route.

I think what Pandora does is it moves the needle in getting more bodies to the park because it translates to a theme park land beautifully. I don't think the merch is flying off there shelves. As a new build absolutely worth it. As a replacement for one of the best lands in the park that would also require an extensive renovation of your flagship hotel? Not worth it.
I don't think you're alone here in caring about these things. I mostly agree with you. The sad reality is that I don't think Disney really cares about what makes for a good theme park land or what the best land at DCA is. These just aren't factors that drive decision making in the same way they drive (some) Disney Parks marketing. At the end of the day, it's about brand value and synergy. Disney wants you to buy the Avatar vacation package because the Avatar vacation package brings in more revenue than more day guests from Fullerton.

mickEblu

I think Disney doesn't especially care about capacity as long as average guest spend goes up. That's what matters to the bottomline.

Do I think Avatar is a property that will do that? No, not especially. But I frequently have different views from Disney's accountants. As much as I want to agree with you, I think it's disturbingly plausible that Disney goes the retheme rather than expand route.

I don't think you're alone here in caring about these things. I mostly agree with you. The sad reality is that I don't think Disney really cares about what makes for a good theme park land or what the best land at DCA is. These just aren't factors that drive decision making in the same way they drive (some) Disney Parks marketing. At the end of the day, it's about brand value and synergy. Disney wants you to buy the Avatar vacation package because the Avatar vacation package brings in more revenue than more day guests from Fullerton.

I don't trust them either. But in this specific case I think re-theming Grizzly Peak does not make sense for them (not just me) and is not happening.

mickEblu

... with that said, I for one should be worried. In under 8 short years they have removed my favorite ride from Disneyland, favorite ride from DCA and are now drastically altering my favorite place to sit and relax at Disneyland. It's only fitting that they would proceed to remove my favorite land from DCA as well.

Basketbuddy101

... with that said, I for one should be worried. In under 8 short years they have removed my favorite ride from Disneyland, favorite ride from DCA and are now drastically altering my favorite place to sit and relax at Disneyland. It's only fitting that they would proceed to remove my favorite land from DCA as well.
Don't remind me. The damage, much of it irreversible, current leadership has done in the last decade is staggering.

MarvelCharacterNerd

Echoing sentiments above - while I have no use whatsoever for anything Avatar (I didn't even care for the slow boat ride - and I love slow boat rides lol), I accept that it and many other things in the years ahead will be brought to the parks that don't interest me at all.

Which is why I hunker down and cheerlead for the one little corner addition that does make me happy - Avengers Campus - even when I get repeatedly razzed for that opinion here. ;) Because whatever is coming - other than maybe a Frozen land, which I'd admittedly enjoy, and Encanto, too - is not likely to appeal to me. But I'm the past and present of the parks, and they don't really care if I'm the future.

SuddenStorm

Don't remind me. The damage, much of it irreversible, current leadership has done in the last decade is staggering.

Whats interesting is how deep some of the damage goes. Things- like actual grass planters- have been removed. The Disney Look is gone. Food portions have gone down, prices have gone up. Stuff like that adds up to an experience that feels worse overall, even if the average guest won't be able to pinpoint why. And that's not getting into the staff and maintenance issues.

SuddenStorm

Dude what's sad is that they didn't outright remove Tower of Terror or Splash either- they're going to sit there in altered states reminding us of their past glory each and every visit.

At least when an attraction usually gets removed it gets removed, so you don't have to see it in a ruined form every visit.

Vegas Disney Fan

Dude what's sad is that they didn't outright remove Tower of Terror or Splash either- they're going to sit there in altered states reminding us of their past glory each and every visit.

At least when an attraction usually gets removed it gets removed, so you don't have to see it in a ruined form every visit.
At least they aren’t left standing or just sitting empty, we just got back from a DL trip and half of Tomorrowland is just useless reminders of old rides that don’t exist anymore, the peoplemover track, the carousel of progress building, the rocket jets, the old boat dock… just teasing us with what used to exist, and been that way for years and even decades.

SuddenStorm

At least they aren’t left standing or just sitting empty, we just got back from a DL trip and half of Tomorrowland is just useless reminders of old rides that don’t exist anymore, the peoplemover track, the carousel of progress building, the rocket jets, the old boat dock… just teasing us with what used to exist, and been that way for years and even decades.

Don't forget the empty Magic Eye theater!

mickEblu

Yeah this is a tough one for me. Although I miss the old rides very much I also really enjoy the ride systems and Splash in particular has really good bones. The ride path staying the same is nice. You’ll still feel the joy of that rollercoaster drop for example. Hopefully the ambiance on the outdoor portions of the ride keep most of their old charm.

mickEblu

Maybe it can replace Pixar Pier.

Haha I actually want the Pier to stick around. I think it’s pretty synonymous with DCA at this point and the Mickey Fun Wheel is the second most photographed spot in all DLR I believe. Maybe I’m just a nostalgic fool but I think the pier in some form should always be part of DCA. Definitely good with it being upgraded though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom