News Avatar Experience coming to Disneyland

mickEblu

Yeah it’s got to be something different. I doubt it’ll be outside of the existing footprint since Iger keeps saying it’s happening and Forward hasn’t been given the green light yet

The only place it could go within the existing footprint would be the Hollywood Backlot/ bus transpo area but I was told that’s also been lumped into DL Forward.

TheDisneyParksfanC8

Is it kind of weird we’re hearing more about Avatar land than that Avengers E ticket that was announced years ago?
Probably because Disney doesn't have a direction still for an Avengers E ticket coupled with a lack of confidence in the Marvel brand. So they have decided to fast track Avatar to strike while the iron is hot and put the Avengers E ticket on the back burner until Marvel gets back on track.

mickEblu

Probably because Disney doesn't have a direction still for an Avengers E ticket coupled with a lack of confidence in the Marvel brand. So they have decided to fast track Avatar to strike while the iron is hot and put the Avengers E ticket on the back burner until Marvel gets back on track.

Possibly but Marvel isn’t going to do better than Infinity War/ End Game and Thanos. All they need to to do is make a quality attraction with those characters. If they can make a ride based on Tiana’s Bayou Adventure (which didn’t exactly kill it in theatres) I wouldn’t imagine them being too worried about basing a ride on those characters. At least they shouldn’t be and if they re waiting for something better at the rate their movies have been bombing they’ll be waiting for a long time.

BrianLo

Is it kind of weird we’re hearing more about Avatar land than that Avengers E ticket that was announced years ago?

I think because it was an Iger Wall-Street level announcement - and he wants to keep calling to mind his one franchise that hasn't seemingly faltered recently. The last update about either project prior to this, was actually about Avengers in September.

I suspect what happened was the project was canceled in the Pandemic and subsequently completely restarted from scratch just prior to D23 2022. Which time wise would make sense, but it just doesn't feel like it is starting from nothing with how they have handled it.

Which I'll say if they don't come forward with a more firm timeframe at the next D23 (or have started on it), that would be a serious problem. Development should be wrapping up. The project still has government money committed to it from Hong Kong, so they need to produce...

Wendy Pleakley

I know this is probaby a joke, but Navi River Journey is actually a lot closer to what many people here profess to want when compared to what Disney's actually been building over the past few decades. They could do a lot worse than put in a buffed-up, expanded NRJ with more animatronics and a greater sense of payoff. I imagine it also would have a more manageble wait time at either of the DLR parks than it does at DAK because ride capacity's higher across the board over here.

I guess it's nice that we officially know it's going to be a land, it just better go in DCA or in one of the DLF plots.

Yep, it's a pleasant and simple boat ride that I'd be happy to wait 20-30 minutes for.

The trouble with AK, is capacity is way too low so a relatively basic ride is a big draw and has excessive wait times for what it is.

At DLR, this will be more of a "filler" ride.

mickEblu

I know this is probaby a joke, but Navi River Journey is actually a lot closer to what many people here profess to want when compared to what Disney's actually been building over the past few decades. They could do a lot worse than put in a buffed-up, expanded NRJ with more animatronics and a greater sense of payoff. I imagine it also would have a more manageble wait time at either of the DLR parks than it does at DAK because ride capacity's higher across the board over here.

I guess it's nice that we officially know it's going to be a land, it just better go in DCA or in one of the DLF plots.

NRJ would be great for DCA. Just make it a minute or two longer, add a few more AAs and a drop of course for good measure.

Ghost93

I hope the Disneyland version isn't just a copy of Florida's. It would be cool if they had the land incorporate elements from The Way of Water.

mickEblu

But what does translate well is the underwater aspects of the film, which could be part of any new attraction.

True but we’re getting a new land. I find it unlikely that we’ll get a land with the floating mountains and then a new attraction featuring elements of way of water. Unless those elements are just scenes on a simulator attraction.

SplashJacket

a massive Pandora themed waterpark, would be so cool imo. Massive mountain like Volcano bay with glowing rocks floating and water slided coming out of it.....crazy lazy rivers and such....would be a feast for the eyes.

Never gonna happen just sayin.
Disneyland does need a water park…

Floating mountains as the centerpiece with lazy river underneath.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
True but we’re getting a new land. I find it unlikely that we’ll get a land with the floating mountains and then a new attraction featuring elements of way of water. Unless those elements are just scenes on a simulator attraction.
Well I imagine we'd be getting a FoP type attraction, so yeah they can have us start out in the forest/floating mountains for the land theme and then have the attraction take us to the water areas and any new areas from the next movies.

mickEblu

Well I imagine we'd be getting a FoP type attraction, so yeah they can have us start out in the forest/floating mountains for the land theme and then have the attraction take us to the water areas and any new areas from the next movies.

Yeah obviously anything is possible with a simulator. I thought Ghost was referring to a physical attraction or the land being centered around the sequel.

Suspirian

If this goes in DCA I feel like Disney is eventually going to reach a similar problem that they have now. Their solution to what they think is a limiting theme is adding single IP or franchise based lands (and Im assuming eventually changing the theme?). What happens when you land a popular IP that lies outside of those land that already exist that you've now devoted to a single thing? I'm doubtful they'll ever want to do anything original but lets say that happens, where would you put something like that between Carsland, Marvel land, Pixar Pier, and now Pandora? It's so incredibly nearsighted to me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom