Autotopia announcement coming soon.

TP2000

So, did they get rid of all of the other props etc and now it's exclusively the robot and bird?

Yes, apparently. The robot and the bird. It's kind of cute, kind of weird, kind of pointless. At least it's fresher and more modern than the Cynthia Harriss version of circa 2000 Autopia, Presented by Chevron that was getting a bit long in the tooth.

Great pantsuit Cynthia! You must have used Mickey's tailor. That Chevron lady executive next to you is sooooo jealous!
dais.jpg

I have a feeling 20 years from now there will be an obscure website dedicated to the late 2010's version of Autopia when Honda was the big sponsor with the robot and the bird. Or maybe it will just be me in advanced senility correcting some youngster on a message board about when and why exactly the robot and the bird showed up in Autopia. :rolleyes:

Here's the robot and the bird version of Autopia, Presented by Honda. Kinda cute. Kinda weird.

D

Deleted member 107043

Having grown up with Tomorrowland being awash with corporate sponsorships this isn't all that strange to me. What is odd is how hokey and static these displays are. The fossil fuel guzzling cars make the whole story even dumber. Talk about lipstick on a pig, well there's no better example than this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Practical Pig

Having grown up with Tomorrowland being awash with corporate sponsorships this isn't all that strange to me. What is odd is how hokey and static these displays are. The fossil fuel guzzling cars make it the whole story even dumber. Talk about lipstick on a pig, well there's no better example than this.

Jeez. More pig lipstick! It was just that one time back in college! I was "exploring."

TP2000

Having grown up with Tomorrowland being awash with corporate sponsorships this isn't all that strange to me. What is odd is how hokey and static these displays are. The fossil fuel guzzling cars make it the whole story even dumber. Talk about lipstick on a pig, well there's no better example than this.

Agree about the Tomorrowland sponsorships. To me, Tomorrowland is meant for big glowing corporate logos towering over the shows and attractions. Walt wanted it that way, and it's cheesy but comforting.

"General Electric is proud to present..."
Carousel_of_Progress_Disneyland.jpg

"The 100,000 men and women of the Bell System are happy to host you..."
"Your local Goodyear dealer would like to welcome you aboard..."
"This.... Is.... Monsanto!"

D

Deleted member 107043

Agree about the Tomorrowland sponsorships. To me, Tomorrowland is meant for big glowing corporate logos towering over the shows and attractions. Walt wanted it that way, and it's cheesy but comforting.

"General Electric is proud to present..."
Carousel_of_Progress_Disneyland.jpg

"The 100,000 men and women of the Bell System are happy to host you..."
"Your local Goodyear dealer would like to welcome you aboard..."
"This.... Is.... Monsanto!"

Carousel of Progress was literally a stage show advertising General Electric home appliances. I remember the day I was at Disneyland when it finally dawned on me why the Goodyear tire company sponsored the Peoplemover.

Phroobar

I think the reason nothing moves is because ASIMO's batteries are dead. Aren't you lucky to be driving a gas powered car in the future?

Last edited:

Figments Friend

'Bird'.....and robot.
Reminds me of another Disney Attraction of yore....

Disney already has a character from the 80s that appeared at EPCOT Center back in the day named Bird, from the famed 'Bird & Robot' side show.
These were a part of a short presentation that used to run in the GM sanctioned 'World of Motion' Pavilion's post-show area.
Fun little show.

'Robot' was a industrial grade assembly line robotic arm, while 'Bird' was a Animatronic wise guy toucan.
Together they did periodic 20 minute shows covering various topics in a humorous vein.

-

D

Deleted member 107043

'Bird'.....and robot.
Reminds me of another Disney Attraction of yore....

Disney already has a character from the 80s that appeared at EPCOT Center back in the day named Bird, from the famed 'Bird & Robot' side show.
These were a part of a short presentation that used to run in the GM sanctioned 'World of Motion' Pavilion's post-show area.
Fun little show.

'Robot' was a industrial grade assembly line robotic arm, while 'Bird' was a Animatronic wise guy toucan.
Together they did periodic 20 minute shows covering various topics in a humorous vein.

-

I remember that show! I'd completely forgotten about it.

What happened to Toad's cars?

At this point, I'd prefer the large space Autopia occupies be replaced by a park with nice gardens to walk through and admire from the monorail. If Disney is going to throw in the towel, at least make the area pretty.

AndyS2992

Oh c'mon guys, I like it and I'd kill to have scenes like this added to the extremely tired and boring Tomorrowland Speedway at MK which has nothing going on. Add some neon lights around the track, electric cars, some nice subtle futuristicy music playing in the background along with the scenes and the ride would be perfect.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom