August 2008: Trip Report by the Numbers

7 Days. 2,962 Pictures Taken. 3 “Dreams” Received. 1 Bedroom Villa at Saratoga Springs Resort. 2 Dole Whips. 1 Looming Hurricane. 19 Consecutive Hours in Magic Kingdom. 3 Hours of Sleep Thereafter. 5 Rides on Toy Story Mania in One Day. 1 Great Time.

I’m sure I could come up with more numbers to illustrate the theme, but I think those embody the poignant portions of the trip well.

We began our first day a little later than past trips—this year we were in Indianapolis staying with Sarah’s parents, who were able to get us to the airport in about a half hour, compared with the three hour transit time of past trips in order to get from Valparaiso to Chicago Midway Airport via an assortment of trains. So the extra sleep that came with getting up at 6 a.m. versus the normal 3:30 a.m. was nice.

Prior to catching the flight, we played around in the airport taking pictures of ourselves and my Figment plush in various poses. We were quite thrilled by this, although it seemed some other patrons of the airport might’ve thought we were a little odd. Scrooges.

081120080028.jpg

Once we got in the air we made use of the free drink coupons that came with our frequent flier flight from Southwest. This coupled with looking through my old WDW books made for a really quick flight. Before we knew it, we had landed in MCO.
081120080078.jpg

The line for Disney’s Magical Express was longer than I’d ever seen. Luckily for me, Sarah waited in the line while I played around, taking more pictures. All told, it took about an hour from the time we got in the DME check in line until we got on the bus.

We arrived at Saratoga Springs Resort about three hours prior to check-in where we met our friend, Nick, who is a cast member at Space Mountain. There was no issue with the early arrival—we even received a free upgrade to a one bedroom villa. I’m not sure if this is a “standard” upgrade during slow times, but it’s the second year in a row that we’ve received the free upgrade at SSR. If they give the free upgrade as a tactic to get people to invest in DVC, it certainly is working, because we’re sold.

After getting settled into the room and watching the Top 7 a few times (more like having the Top 7 play as background music), we got ready and headed to Downtown Disney, where we would catch a bus for Animal Kingdom Lodge where we would be having dinner at Boma.

We arrived a bit early, so we had some time to peruse the lobby prior to dinner. Like most of the Disney Resorts, AKL’s theming is wholly immersive. I’m not sure that we’d ever stay there given its proximity to the Magic Kingdom, Epcot, and the Studios, but it certainly is impressive.
Boma lived up to its reputation. For a buffet, the food was quite unique, and good. It’s conservative enough to appeal to a wide range of palates, yet there is a bit of edge to the menu. All told, not something you’d expect from a buffet. The restaurant itself has somewhat low lighting, giving the restaurant a somewhat romantic ambience. Again, definitely not what you’d typically expect from a buffet. I was thoroughly impressed with the place.

After Boma, we headed back to the resort and made a couple drinks before heading out to Pleasure Island. Truth be told, our only previous time at PI was only mediocre, but this time we decided to forgo the sparsely populated dance clubs (I hate the whole club scene anyway, and about the only way I can tolerate it is if they are sparsely populated, but I was still quite pleased not to be “clubbing”) and spend the night at Adventurer’s Club.

The decision turned out to be a great one. Sarah, Nick, and I all thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Spending the entire night there definitely improved the experience, as there were plenty of running jokes that you would’ve missed if not there the entire evening. My only complaint is the number of people who were obviously regulars. I’m not saying I have a problem with people who regularly attend the AC, it was the way they carried on. I’m glad you all attend the show regularly and know all of the gags and have your own themed attire, but I paid to see and hear the performers, not hear and see you try to upstage them. This didn’t affect the experience much, but was just a bit aggravating. We had such a good time that we decided to alter our plans a bit to go back later in the week. My only regret was not taking my D40 to get some good pictures of PI and the AC. But I figured it was a safer bet to take a cheap P&S just in case anything were to happen. We got back to our room around 1:30 a.m., and went to bed immediately.
CIMG3569.jpg
[/FONT]

Last edited:

BruceWayne

For me, this is the best trip report I've ever read. Incredible photos, great detail, and very fun!

And it's not real creepy or whiny, which I've found to be rare around here...

Disneyfalcon

Great trip report Figment!! I can not believe how late you stayed up!!:eek::lol:

But the report was so much fun to read and the pictures were great of course!

WDWFigment

Original Poster
Great trip report. I absolutely loved that picture you took of the tea cups. It was very artsy. Glad you all had such a good time.

Thanks, I like that picture a lot, too. I actually have about 5 that are almost exactly the same (took multiples to make sure at least one turned out well) and I had a hard time deciding which I liked best.

:sohappy:Stayed up late last night reading your report, couldn't go to sleep had to keep reading, had me captivated. Report was amazing, loved all the fabulous pics and detail of the trip. You look like a cute couple and it is fantastic you both are DISNEY MAD! I haven't been to WDW in years and I don't remember it being open passed midnight, what time was it open to during your visit?? We are visiting end of June for 2 weeks next year, I wonder if it is open late then too......

Did you actually read the entire thing?! I never expected anyone to read it all! Thanks for the compliments. By the way, if you're visiting in mid-to-late June, you can expect similar operating hours.

Great trip report Figment!! I can not believe how late you stayed up!!:eek::lol:

But the report was so much fun to read and the pictures were great of course!

Thanks. I'm always surprised with how little sleep we get on our trips. Especially considering I normally fall asleep at around 9:45 p.m. during Fraiser each night.

Thank you to everyone else who has taken the time to check out the pictures and/or report!

NewfieFan

A great TR - it was a pleasure to read and of course your pics are amazing and really brings Disney to life on my computer screen! I am also amazed at your stamina with very little sleep - you'll make good parents someday if you can function without sleep!:animwink:

Thanks for sharing!:wave:

Gorjus

It was great to meet you both in person and Nick. It's funny, during this last WWWE celebration gathering I would have expected to run into a lot more people. The only person I ran into was Adam and his parents. So it is amazing that I ran into you twice. Glad you enjoyed your trip. See Ya Real Soon!

over

fun report, you sure made the most of your trip! Sort of reminded me of my last trip with my friends :ROFLOL: I slept for a week once I got home

WDWFigment

Original Poster
Great trip report! You really brig your memories to life! Every enjoyable.

A great TR - it was a pleasure to read and of course your pics are amazing and really brings Disney to life on my computer screen! I am also amazed at your stamina with very little sleep - you'll make good parents someday if you can function without sleep!:animwink:

Thanks for sharing!:wave:

Thanks to both of you!

It was great to meet you both in person and Nick. It's funny, during this last WWWE celebration gathering I would have expected to run into a lot more people. The only person I ran into was Adam and his parents. So it is amazing that I ran into you twice. Glad you enjoyed your trip. See Ya Real Soon!

It was great to meet you, too. We'll be back November 28th through December 2nd. We weren't going to go again this Christmas, but we got to thinking, and after this year (with the possible exception of next year), we won't be able to go again at Christmas for three straight years--so we just had to schedule a trip. :rolleyes:

Maybe we'll see you then. If so, I promise this time, we won't be so taken aback if someone taking pictures recognizes us!

I really enjoyed this TR and your flickr page was well worth a visit. Those are amazing photos.

Thanks!

Excellent trip report and pictures!
I just couldn't stop reading.
Thanks for sharing

Thank you; I really am surprised that so many people actually read it. I guess I now know it's worth it to write a longer report!

Those are some really nice photos. What type of camera do you use?

Thanks, I use a Nikon D40.

fun report, you sure made the most of your trip! Sort of reminded me of my last trip with my friends :ROFLOL: I slept for a week once I got home

Awesome Pics and Trip!!!

Thanks!

DormaNesbit

WDWFigment--what an absolutely amazing Trip Report! The pictures are sooooo wonderful. I've been talking to my husband about yours and Gorjus' pictures and kind of begging for a nice camera like you use. Keep posting excelent pictures so I can keep begging (HAHA). It was absolutely amazing also that you met Gorjus. Thanks again!

blackthidot

In the Parks
Yes
Awesome stuff man!

Do you do anything to your night pics once you upload them or is that how they all come out?

Mikester71

Amazing report dude! Enjoyed reading it and looking at all your pics almost as much as actually being there (ALMOST that is :ROFLOL:)! You two are very camera friendly, that's for sure! Here's hoping my trip planned for next March comes even that much quicker now.

If you don't mind me asking, what do you use to transport the tripod and equipment around in? Do you have one of those small ones that the legs pull out and just throw it in a backpack or what? If it makes that much of a difference, I am thinking that it might be worth bringing the one I have sitting around here next March and trying what you said about using a timer or shutter speed to capture better shots. Never really noticed others using tripods on my previous trips, so never even thought about it. :shrug:

Thanks again for such a detailed and amazing TR! :wave:

WDWFigment

Original Poster
WDWFigment--what an absolutely amazing Trip Report! The pictures are sooooo wonderful. I've been talking to my husband about yours and Gorjus' pictures and kind of begging for a nice camera like you use. Keep posting excelent pictures so I can keep begging (HAHA). It was absolutely amazing also that you met Gorjus. Thanks again!

Thanks for the kind words. Good luck getting that camera--if it helps at all, let him know that the camera I use is the cheapest DSLR on the market!

Awesome stuff man!

Do you do anything to your night pics once you upload them or is that how they all come out?

Thanks. A lot of it depends on the shot. I adjust the shadows and darks; increase the saturation, and sharpen the photo a bit. But, for the most part, these pictures look almost exactly like they do out of the camera. For night shots, I do very little; for shots taken on dark rides, I do quite a bit.

Amazing report dude! Enjoyed reading it and looking at all your pics almost as much as actually being there (ALMOST that is :ROFLOL:)! You two are very camera friendly, that's for sure! Here's hoping my trip planned for next March comes even that much quicker now.

If you don't mind me asking, what do you use to transport the tripod and equipment around in? Do you have one of those small ones that the legs pull out and just throw it in a backpack or what? If it makes that much of a difference, I am thinking that it might be worth bringing the one I have sitting around here next March and trying what you said about using a timer or shutter speed to capture better shots. Never really noticed others using tripods on my previous trips, so never even thought about it. :shrug:

Thanks again for such a detailed and amazing TR! :wave:

Thanks for the compliments! For this trip, I used a North Face Gulper hydration pack (with the hydration bladder removed). Everything fit in there pretty well, and it's about the smallest backpack you can get. For our upcoming Christmas trip, I just bought a North Face Megamouth hydration pack so that I'll have a little more room (I also just bought another lens and an external flash, so I figured I'd need the extra space).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom