Astro Orbiter and TTA Refurbishment in 2014

muteki

Oh, so that's what that ride was.

With going so fast, I'm surprised none of the vehicles went flying off the track...did they?

Whats amazing to me is how little track there was on the left hand side for the things to ride on. I know they have the rail in the middle, but man is that track narrow.

imagineer boy

While we're on the subject of Rocket Rods, I've never understood what prevented Disneyland from reopening the People Mover, after fixing the damage caused by the Rods, of course. I've heard that the narrow tunnels would have been in violation of safety regulations, but, if that's the case, how was Disney able to open the Rocket Rods in the first place? Perhaps it was too expensive to fix the structural damage to the tracks?

Whatever the reason, it's still pretty depressing to see the tracks just sitting there dormant in California's Tomorrowland.

I don't believe the safety regulations were a problem, it's just that the vehicles hurtling over un-banked curves at such high speeds caused cracks and damage in the track's support beams and foundations. The tracks weren't designed to handle such a high speed ride in the first place. It was just a disaster in engineering and the massive budget cuts didn't help either.

With going so fast, I'm surprised none of the vehicles went flying off the track...did they?

You'd think they would. The ride did constantly break down a whole lot though. In many of the rocket rods videos when you seem them go around the unbanked curves you can hear the metal in the vehicles groaning and creaking.

Prock3

There may be some mix-up because the ride system for a lightcycle ride would probably be based on is literally called a motorbike coaster. It's not too far of a leap to go from "bike coaster" to "speeder bikes"... because, you know... they're bikes and they go fast.
Im aware of a motorbike coaster. Im just saying if you have a source who has knowledge of the project they would definitely know the difference between the two and you would be sure to pass that along, otherwise you're just mixing up the content your source gave you, and who knows what else was made up and added in the process.

Anyway is a coaster even plausible there? They had structural damage from the rocket rods and the forces behind a coaster would be much more. Not to mention the incredibly tight spaces the track runs through, it would require a major rework just to get the buildings to have enough room to fit the coaster. Coasters have a fairly big ride envelope. Oh the tracks on coasters have a tendency to flex as the train goes over them, which would require even more room through the buildings of TL, and they are really loud, anyone inside of the building would hear a lovely roar every time one went through. And Coasters aren't exactly known for being able to move a large amount of people through them so the wait times for one would be incredible there, especially given that they wouldn't be able to: A. Use long trains (longer trains means you need more gradual turns so you'd need more space) and B. Have a large amount of trains (This would be a launch coaster most likely and typically you add more block sections to keep the cars from colliding, and to give them a place to stop in the event of an emergency, but usually block sections are raised in the air so if a ride has to stop momentarily it will be able to build enough speed to clear the rest of the track. Seeing as they probably don't have enough space for all those drops they would have to use more launch sections. Launch coasters have a terrible reputation when it comes to reliability, and adding multiple launches would make it worse)

Now when it comes to the Monsters Inc Coaster, Im not sure why they would replace a franchise that Disney is investing in and trying to build (The muppets)with one that probably doesn't have much staying power, and yes Im aware that there is a prequel coming out for monsters inc.

But my biggest question when it comes to both of these projects is how would disney benefit from building essentially a Monsters Inc mini land, and a Tron attraction (for the record I think a light cycle coaster would be awesome, especially if done right i.e a completely dark dueling coaster with illuminated trains and track). If DL is worried about staying power and being able to draw people in why would they use Tron, a franchise that doesn't appeal to a lot of people and most likely never will, and Monsters Inc, which is one of the lesser pixar properties and doesn't have much of a future, at least with cars there is the insane merchandise market to keep it going. Why wouldn't they build a Marvel themed land instead of monsters inc? Marvel has a much bigger draw and always will. And instead of Tron why wouldn't they build either a marvel based attraction or a star wars attraction? Each of which have a much much bigger appeal than Tron.

Will you ever hear anyone say "Yea Universal Studios just added Harry Potter, but Disneyland just added a new Monsters Inc ride, and a Tron ride!! We're gonna go there instead!" Lets face it, thats probably not gonna happen. However you are much more likely to hear "Instead of going to see the new H.P attractions lets go to Disneyland and see the new Marvel land, or the new star wars attraction"

Nmoody1

I be tha a bike coaster would be cool... But Tron... Really? It was hardly a successful franchise that Disney had hoped.

Little Mermaid aside, would Disney really create a Monsters Ince at action AFTER the release of a second film, and would they use Tron considering the lack of interest in the film? I get it n China as most Disney films re unknown and it's a recent film tha the Chinese will relate to Disney, but in the US parks.... I'm not so sure. Think its just fanboy dreams!

huntzilla

@marni1971, would you be answer any of my questions on page two about the narration change process. Is it logical to think that they are all stored in some sort of central audio system that can be changed at any moment? From what I understand, DACS isn't used at all anymore.

MarkTwain

And that's primarily why Orlando never got it.

Good thing Song of the South was such a cultural phenomenon in 1989, huh? And lucky that Twilight Zone merchandise was such a hot commodity in 1994, too, or the Tower of Terror might never been greenlit. Could you imagine building a ride themed to a movie that made only $400 million worldwide? :rolleyes:

JungleTrekFan

You'd think they would. The ride did constantly break down a whole lot though. In many of the rocket rods videos when you seem them go around the unbanked curves you can hear the metal in the vehicles groaning and creaking.
Is it just me or does Rocket Rods look a whole lot like beta testing for test track technology. Busbar system outdoors, breaking down all the time. Sounds pretty familiar lol.

Anyways I wonder if they could design a handicap car that then could be added in front of a train and be pushed (held on to the train pushing it by a magnet of course) and the system just understanding and being smart enough to recognize it. That way you could have one car merge out of the way for handicap use. It could be implemented on the area between the load unload circle that doesn't have a track but has the turning walkway, use a part of that haunted mansion patent technology maybe. Would just need to add an elevator to that landing area. it would be tight, but could be possible.

lazyboy97o

Is it just me or does Rocket Rods look a whole lot like beta testing for test track technology. Busbar system outdoors, breaking down all the time. Sounds pretty familiar lol.
They are slightly related ride systems. General Motors was also at one point going to sponsor the Rocket Rods.

Cosmic Commando

I be tha a bike coaster would be cool... But Tron... Really? It was hardly a successful franchise that Disney had hoped.
I'd argue that Tron is a good candidate for a theme park ride, because everyone knows and loves the art direction of Tron. Even the original movie still looks pretty futuristic, IMO. I don't even particularly like either movie, but I want to like them because they look so darn cool. I think there's a world there that people would be excited to step into.

Im aware of a motorbike coaster. Im just saying if you have a source who has knowledge of the project they would definitely know the difference between the two and you would be sure to pass that along, otherwise you're just mixing up the content your source gave you, and who knows what else was made up and added in the process.
The leaked Fantasyland blueprints had some faux pas, too. "Cheese Coaster", "Voyage of the Mermaid" and "Indy Race Cars" on a document that we're all pretty sure by now came from inside WDI. The only people who are sticklers for nomenclature are on the Parks Blog and the ones who write the press releases. Al Lutz has a pretty good track record when it comes to the DLR, so I choose to just pay attention to the substance of what he says, not whether his ™ 's and ©'s are in the right place.

As for the technical challenges, the turns would have to be banked. I'm guessing the track would be widened in certain sections maybe to provide "passing lanes" and emergency exits. The throughput would probably be low still, but there's enough to do that not every ride needs a crazy capacity. The lines will be crazy early on no matter what. I really don't know what WDI might have up their sleeves, but I have an idea that I think might illustrate how a ride could come together. If technically possible, I think it would be great to have LIM-driven vehicles like the WDW Peoplemover that look like a motorbike coaster car that can dynamically switch tracks as they "race" around the track. I'm picturing two bikes side-by-side on the current track, but there might only be room for one. Conceptually, it's the same idea. There would obviously be some finesse to the whole design, but if you could widen the track in strategic sections to provide extra lanes and combine that with some dynamic track switching, then I think you could have a neat little ride.

lazyboy97o

As for the technical challenges, the turns would have to be banked. I'm guessing the track would be widened in certain sections maybe to provide "passing lanes" and emergency exits. The throughput would probably be low still, but there's enough to do that not every ride needs a crazy capacity. The lines will be crazy early on no matter what. I really don't know what WDI might have up their sleeves, but I have an idea that I think might illustrate how a ride could come together. If technically possible, I think it would be great to have LIM-driven vehicles like the WDW Peoplemover that look like a motorbike coaster car that can dynamically switch tracks as they "race" around the track. I'm picturing two bikes side-by-side on the current track, but there might only be room for one. Conceptually, it's the same idea. There would obviously be some finesse to the whole design, but if you could widen the track in strategic sections to provide extra lanes and combine that with some dynamic track switching, then I think you could have a neat little ride.
If Tron is coming to the PeopleMover track before Iron Man, what does that say for the future of that project which involved tearing down the Carousel Theater building? The Rocket Rods queue space is also occupied and there isn't much room down the main promenande, and even less if the Astro Orbitor remains.

Cosmic Commando

If Tron is coming to the PeopleMover track before Iron Man, what does that say for the future of that project which involved tearing down the Carousel Theater building? The Rocket Rods queue space is also occupied and there isn't much room down the main promenande, and even less if the Astro Orbitor remains.
Unless I missed it, Al didn't mention the big Iron Man project at all. I'm wondering if maybe Tron uses the Carousel building and the Stark Industries exhibit is the toe in the water for a Marvel park?

lazyboy97o

Unless I missed it, Al didn't mention the big Iron Man project at all. I'm wondering if maybe Tron uses the Carousel building and the Stark Industries exhibit is the toe in the water for a Marvel park?
That's what I was wondering. The Innoventions site could hold a show building on an upper level with queue / preshow and exit giftshop on the lower level. Either way, unless the Tron coaster deviates from the existing ride path when it gets to the Carousel Theater it is going to enter that building and present a hurdle to replacing it.

Cosmic Commando

That's what I was wondering. The Innoventions site could hold a show building on an upper level with queue / preshow and exit giftshop on the lower level. Either way, unless the Tron coaster deviates from the existing ride path when it gets to the Carousel Theater it is going to enter that building and present a hurdle to replacing it.
I don't think there's much (if anything) that would be grandfathered in putting any new ride at all on those tracks, so I don't think major construction like rerouting the track would be out of the question. I'm thinking of something like the Dreamflight to Buzz conversion at MK where everything is in the same place even though the rides are different; Disney likes the path of least resistance. However, the ride system will almost certainly be different and the turns will probably have to be banked anyway, so I don't think there is an easy way to do this. If this is really going to happen, there's two sensible plans that I see: either reroute the track so that you can take down the Innoventions building in the future, or co-develop the Tron ride with something new in the Innoventions space so that you hopefully won't have to worry about keeping the Tron track while knocking out everything around it for a long, long time.

Skibum1970

The only problem with motorbike coasters (Vekoma or Intamin) is that the PPH seems to be low (ex. Intamin advertised 800 PPH). If they build something like that at Disneyland, it better be capable of closer to 1,500 PPH like a more standard coaster. I don't know if the load cycles are what lowers the count or if it is some other part of the design.

lazyboy97o

I don't think there's much (if anything) that would be grandfathered in putting any new ride at all on those tracks, so I don't think major construction like rerouting the track would be out of the question. I'm thinking of something like the Dreamflight to Buzz conversion at MK where everything is in the same place even though the rides are different; Disney likes the path of least resistance. However, the ride system will almost certainly be different and the turns will probably have to be banked anyway, so I don't think there is an easy way to do this. If this is really going to happen, there's two sensible plans that I see: either reroute the track so that you can take down the Innoventions building in the future, or co-develop the Tron ride with something new in the Innoventions space so that you hopefully won't have to worry about keeping the Tron track while knocking out everything around it for a long, long time.
I've never really bought into the stories of serious structural damage, mostly because I figure we'd have seen sections removed lest they collapse. In my mind I just keep picturing roller coaster track affixed to the top of much of the existing guideway. Sort of how much of the track for the High in the Sky Seuss Trolley Train Ride was placed on top of the track for the never opened Sylvester McMonkey McBean's Very Unusual Driving Machines.

The only problem with motorbike coasters (Vekoma or Intamin) is that the PPH seems to be low (ex. Intamin advertised 800 PPH). If they build something like that at Disneyland, it better be capable of closer to 1,500 PPH like a more standard coaster. I don't know if the load cycles are what lowers the count or if it is some other part of the design.
Disney tends to run more trains on a track which would help with capacity.

Cosmic Commando

I've never really bought into the stories of serious structural damage, mostly because I figure we'd have seen sections removed lest they collapse. In my mind I just keep picturing roller coaster track affixed to the top of much of the existing guideway. Sort of how much of the track for the High in the Sky Seuss Trolley Train Ride was placed on top of the track for the never opened Sylvester McMonkey McBean's Very Unusual Driving Machines.

Disney tends to run more trains on a track which would help with capacity.
I don't think the track is falling apart, but will it be able to take the abuse and/or extra weight of banking the curves?

Cosmic Commando

Interesting to note: by my rough measurement on Wikimapia, there's over 4,000 feet of Peoplemover track in DL! Certainly enough to make a ride with.

Lexxweb

It did open, in May 1998 and then it operated for several years. I rode it a bunch of times in the late 1990's. But it wasn't very good. Basically a hot rod version of the PeopleMover. But the real problem was that all the new G-forces the vehicles were exerting on the PeopleMover track meant the thing was literally tearing itself apart. It was closed for safety and engineering reasons.

Here's an on-ride video of it from the end of its run in 2000, with the new Autopia under construction then. The front seat was actually pretty fun, at least on some sections of the track.

That looks awesome!! I want this!

Californian Elitist

That looks awesome!! I want this!

No, you don't. LOL, did see you notice how the ride had to slow down when a turn came? Or how many times the ride stopped before it was even over? Unless you want a more advanced, more thought-out version.

That blast off in the beginning used to be so much fun, though. Wish I could ride Rocket Rods one more time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom