1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Astro Orbiter and TTA Refurbishment in 2014

Discussion in 'WDW Parks News, Rumors and Current Events' started by rct247, Apr 8, 2013.

1. TropicalFig8

TropicalFig8 Active Member

These two definitely need a refurb.

Really hoping for a new TTA narration.
  2. Timekeeper

Timekeeper Well-Known Member

3. meyeet

meyeet Well-Known Member

??
  4. Goofnut1980

Goofnut1980 Well-Known Member

I heard from a bus driver, they were putting in Dueling Rockets... to help make everything match.. hahaha :p
  5. Timekeeper

Timekeeper Well-Known Member

Rocket Rods backstage maintenance area.
  6. meyeet

meyeet Well-Known Member

ahh, thanks!
  7. marni1971

marni1971 WDW History nut Premium Member

Nope. I drew this from one of the original WEDway blueprints for WDW.

Speedway actually shrunk in 73-4. They needed more space between it and the Skyway building for Space Mountain access since the Coaster was originally planned where the CoP is.
    articos likes this.
  8. TinkerBelle8878

TinkerBelle8878 Active Member

Wasn't the TTA down for a while back in 2009? I know it was when I was there then. What was done that they're now shutting it again?

I hope nothing major happens to it. Its my favorite place in MK.

To the people talking about the Handicapped accessible issue, why would the track have to be widened? The simplest solution would be the AO elevator make a stop at the TTA level and make one or two cars in a train or two for handicapped guests? Why would it require track widening? (Just confused)
  9. PeterAlt

PeterAlt Well-Known Member

That model of Tommorowland that isn't really Tommorowland?
  10. Uddy

Uddy Active Member

Very cool. Thanks for clarifying. I thought I had missed out. Now I feel better. Nice drawing
  11. Neph-Neph

Neph-Neph Active Member

Thanks for posting this. I knew part of it's failures was using the existing track as is which meant they had to slow down in the turns since they weren't banked. What I didn't know was just how frequent those turns were! Seems absolutely silly watching it.
    Calvin Coolidge likes this.
  12. TP2000

TP2000 Well-Known Member

It was silly. Right when you'd get to a good part and you caught some serious speed, the thing would brake hard to make a turn or two. Then speed up, then brake for a turn. Speed up, then brake. Over and over. It was dumb. It did provide nice views of Tomorrowland, and was much more fun at night. But it just wasn't good enough, and then add the engineering problems that developed with the track after a couple years of usage and it was probably the right decision to pull the plug on it.
  13. KJ1081

KJ1081 Active Member

I believe the closure was due to the SM refurb
  14. rct247

rct247 Well-Known Member

It was closed in 2009 due to the Space Mountain refurbishment. They enclosed the load area with a ceiling which directly affected the TTA track. During that time, TTA got a little bit of TLC with some new paint, name change, and some minor programming updates.

The reason that the track would have to be widened is in the event the ride must be evacuated. Since the track is so long and if wheelchairs were able to be loaded, how would you unload them in the event of an emergency. Attractions like Space Mountain are only 2 minutes and 30 seconds while TTA is around 10 minutes I think. I'm honestly not sure how certain track attractions handle this situation, but it along with the lack of storage, steep ramp, and requirement for a new special ride vehicle (which may be a different weight and may not be propelled down the track using the same magnetic power the same way as the other trains) are all reasons why it is very difficult to make the attraction accessible. Just like Swiss Family Treehouse. Making all the stairs ramps or installing an elevator just isn't going to make it accessible.
    Genie of the Lamp likes this.
  15. articos

articos Well-Known Member

Ah, gotcha. Look to Martin, it seems. :)
  16. articos

articos Well-Known Member

Interesting...I have it from Gurr that Speedway moved a bit for SM, but it was actually expanded at the same time in 73. Have to ask and see if his memory is faulty or I'm misunderstanding. Then it was chopped for Birthdayland, as we know.
  17. Neph-Neph

Neph-Neph Active Member

Sounds like driving on the interstate in traffic. I can get that experience just about any time!
  18. Prock3

Prock3 Member

Just read al's update, here's how you can tell he made it up.

This is a tron LIGHTCYCLE!!!!
    [​IMG]

This is a SPEEDERBIKE!!!

[​IMG]

THEY ARE TWO VERY DIFFERENT THINGS!!!
    Any credible source with inside knowledge to this project would know the difference and wouldn't mix them together.
    TestTrack Dummy likes this.
  19. raven24

raven24 Well-Known Member

Why would he waste time to make all of that up? The Tron attraction has been rumored for Disneyland before.
    Sped2424 likes this.
  20. HMF

HMF Well-Known Member

They really need to do something more to the Space Mountain portion considering most of the things to actually see were blocked in 09.
    yoyoflamingo and WDWGoof07 like this.