Are there any plans for Carousel of Progress in 2014?

BrittanyRose428

Maybe it would just be better without the updated finale. You can get the message from watching the other scenes without some weird interpretation of the future.

CheshireCat12

I just don't see the love for this attraction. I finally went on last week for the first time, and I think I enjoyed the first part but as it went on I was getting very annoyed with it. "It's a great big beautiful tomorrow" is a cheesy song. The last scene was terrible. What year was it supposed to be? Nobody in my party could figure it out. They had fashions from late 80's and early 90's- the teenage daughter wears slouchy socks over the ends of her tight-rolled pants- that went out of style over 20 years ago! Yet it was supposed to be "modern day".
If they just kept it to the old days it would have been fine, nostalgic, and sweet.

FettFan

Original Poster
I just don't see the love for this attraction. I finally went on last week for the first time, and I think I enjoyed the first part but as it went on I was getting very annoyed with it. "It's a great big beautiful tomorrow" is a cheesy song. The last scene was terrible. What year was it supposed to be? Nobody in my party could figure it out. They had fashions from late 80's and early 90's- the teenage daughter wears slouchy socks over the ends of her tight-rolled pants- that went out of style over 20 years ago! Yet it was supposed to be "modern day".
If they just kept it to the old days it would have been fine, nostalgic, and sweet.

That was "the future", as expected in 1994. Go to YouTube, and search for "Beyond 2000"...it was all the rage back in the day, showcasing all of the neat consumer technology that was going to be making its way into our lives...including wearable computers, and the then-revolutionary method of storing digital copies of photos to CD-ROM....by taking your film rolls to a Kodak store so they can be converted.

Sure it's outdated and cheesy TODAY....but back then, it was cutting edge stuff.

And guess what? We're still imagining what the future is going to hold.
Here is a video from the Corning company of glass computer interfaces (which was toyed with in Iron Man 2 with Tony's clear glass cellular)

And GBBT is not a cheesy song, thank you very much.
GBBT was Walt's personal theme song, and he even had an instrumental version of it playing in his film to the Florida legislature proposing EPCOT and Progress City.

CheshireCat12

FettFan, we have to agree to disagree. I do not like the song at all, I did find it cheesy, it was not a part of the CoP that I enjoyed. I'm not one that likes something just because Walt did.

I personally can't see more than a new sign with 50th Anniversary Edition written under it, with a change in either act 4 or the loading and unloading bay with a small reference to walt, or how we've come a long way in 50 years, or the carousels birthday.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 39

Maelstrom Troll

I love CoP and the theme song. Of course the last scene is out dated and the theater smells a big funky sometimes, but its still a must do for us. I especially like the Fall scene with the Jack O Lantern. I have the same one!

copcarguyp71

I am onboard with the current theme song fanboy's! Leave it alone as I AM one of the ones who love something because Walt did. Too many of his hopes and dreams have been laid asunder and I really think TDO owes it to him to show some love with COP to pay homage to their roots if nothing else.

DManRightHere

I'd hate to see it go, but I'm surprised it is not gone already. It's a ride to appreciate and it has great atmosphere. I don't really feel that way about any other ride on property that I can currently think of...maybe living with the land, but that doesn't seem as good now compared to when I was little. Even if they update the finale I don't see it increasing attendance. Does the ride have good attendance numbers? It is a high capacity ride I think. I only found the ride is 21 minutes long and seats 240 people. 4114 people per hour?? is that right?

Tigger19

It's a very cheesy ride but every time we go to WDW we all have to visit it, it's become a family tradition. It does need updated but I don't think it should be closed. I would be very sad to see it go. The song is still stuck in my head to this day!

matt9112

I would rather the show be retired with dignity (ie. dismantled or shipped to the Smithsonian or something) and have my memories of its better days live on, than see the show's life artificially extended with a new finale. That's the park-attraction equivalent of plastic surgery.

EDIT: I wonder if the Disney Family Museum would be a good home for the attraction, either as a full ride or as a display.

THIS....save it keep it in working order...somewhere else...hell create a WDW museum in Florida i don't care but give me that space for...wait for it...sit down dinning with amazing views of the lemmings pondering below.

BalooChicago

I'd like to see it as the "Century" of Progress - the Intro and Exit theaters get animatronic shows featuring "today", but could be easily updated (i.e. use "current" clothes, accessories, etc), and the other shows focus on the century that was, maybe cars, jet planes, space, and the internet or something like that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom