Are magic bands safe to wear?

captainkidd

Original Poster
Not in the security sense, but physically. I don't know much about RFID technology but is there any potential danger in wearing them as an accessory after your trip? Radiation, ions, etc.?

Otterhead

I don't know much about RFID technology but is there any potential danger in wearing them as an accessory after your trip? Radiation, ions, etc.?
It's literally just a chip. There's no battery, no ions, no radiation, nothing whatsoever dangerous. It's the same thing as the chip in your credit cards.

elhefe4

It's literally just a chip. There's no battery, no ions, no radiation, nothing whatsoever dangerous. It's the same thing as the chip in your credit cards.
Not exactly. You're correct about the chip not needing battery power and being similar to the one in a credit card, but there is also a long-range radio in each band. The long-range radios (used for automatically linking your on-ride photos or helping servers find your table at BOG) use a small, non-replaceable watch-type battery for power which typically dies in a couple years. But like others have said, none of that causes any sort of danger when wearing.

Last edited:

NormC

There are two passive RFID chips and one powered transmitter device for long range activation. The old style uses a 2032 3.3V battery. I suspect the new style does as well. This battery is good for about three years. It is not transmitting all the time so I would bet the battery will last that long.

AndrewsJ

Not exactly. You're correct about the chip not needing battery power and being similar to the one in a credit card, but there is also a long-range radio in each band. The long-range radios (used for automatically linking your on-ride photos or helping servers find your table at BOG) use a small, non-replaceable watch-type battery for power which typically dies in a couple years. But like others have said, none of that causes any sort of danger when wearing.
This is one of the best and easy to understand explanations I've ever read about Magicbands. My fellow forum members know that sometimes I have a hard time putting things into words, and often without coming across as offensive, so thanks for this bare bones explanation!

officialtom

My partner is a nuclear medicine student and has on more than one occasion tried to educate me on the fact that you're exposed to more radiation from the bricks and cement in your house, workplace, and other buildings than from your cell phone or microwave. So I am not concerned about wearing a barely-powered magic band for a week every year.

In case you don't believe me: https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/radiation/building.html

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
My partner is a nuclear medicine student and has on more than one occasion tried to educate me on the fact that you're exposed to more radiation from the bricks and cement in your house, workplace, and other buildings than from your cell phone or microwave. So I am not concerned about wearing a barely-powered magic band for a week every year.

In case you don't believe me: https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/radiation/building.html

Quick! Delete your post before your partner sees it! Or you're going to get in trouble!!!

The radiation you need to worry about is ionizing radiation which rips apart molecules and atoms (ionizing them). Ionizing radiation comes in two basic forms:
  1. electromagnetic radiation that is very high frequency, and thus, high energy. This would be gamma and X-rays and to a lesser extent, ultraviolet (in large doses). Lower frequency EM radiation, such as light, infrared, and radio waves are not ionizing.
  2. high velocity particles such as the ones that shoot out from a nuclear explosion (sun and stars with their cosmic background radiation), or the ones that pop out of a radioactive substance decaying
That ionizing radiation in the brick and building materials is from the earth and is all around us all the time at low levels. That's because there are trace amounts of radioactive elements everywhere. It's at such low levels, that it's not dangerous unless it builds up as the trapped gas of the element radon, an intermediary byproduct of radioactive decay. That's why your house should have a radon detector.

The 'radiation' from a MagicBand is the low energy radio waves of the electromagnetic spectrum. Lower energy than visible light.

A watt of radio waves has less energy than a watt of visible light. If you're confident that a watt of light won't give you cancer, then you can trust your MagicBand won't, either.

donaldtoo

Not in the security sense, but physically. I don't know much about RFID technology but is there any potential danger in wearing them as an accessory after your trip? Radiation, ions, etc.?

Igerons will build up over time with excessive post-Disney-trip accessory wearing.
Just don't go near your local Disney Store or the website if you've done so...that's how they "get ya'" between trips... :cautious:

Last edited:

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Quick! Delete your post before your partner sees it! Or you're going to get in trouble!!!

The radiation you need to worry about is ionizing radiation which rips apart molecules and atoms (ionizing them). Ionizing radiation comes in two basic forms:
  1. electromagnetic radiation that is very high frequency, and thus, high energy. This would be gamma and X-rays and to a lesser extent, ultraviolet (in large doses). Lower frequency EM radiation, such as light, infrared, and radio waves are not ionizing.
  2. high velocity particles such as the ones that shoot out from a nuclear explosion (sun and stars with their cosmic background radiation), or the ones that pop out of a radioactive substance decaying
That ionizing radiation in the brick and building materials is from the earth and is all around us all the time at low levels. That's because there are trace amounts of radioactive elements everywhere. It's at such low levels, that it's not dangerous unless it builds up as the trapped gas of the element radon, an intermediary byproduct of radioactive decay. That's why your house should have a radon detector.

The 'radiation' from a MagicBand is the low energy radio waves of the electromagnetic spectrum. Lower energy than visible light.

A watt of radio waves has less energy than a watt of visible light. If you're confident that a watt of light won't give you cancer, then you can trust your MagicBand won't, either.

If a guest is still concerned though, they can simply pair it with an inexpensive anti-EMF bracelet sold by Amazon and others. These inexpensive devices which are normally made from titanium and neodymium magnets provide anti-radiation AND anti-fatigue support. Think about that. Not only will you not get cancer from your Magic Band, you will also be able to spend more time in the parks! THAT IS A WINNING COMBINATION PEOPLE!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom