Are kids behaving worse now at WDW then in the past?

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
jesserin said:
gary - i like you alot so i'm going to say this nicely - are you saying that your kids have never watched a single disney movie? b/c lord knows that would make them believe that fish talk, meremaids are real, and elephants really can fly... come one - it was a funny joke- there was no teaching violence in that statement... it was a joke - haha... you better watch out for that peter pan fellow - that movie involves a grown up getting eatin by a croc... now there's a lesson for your kids... ;)

Trying to stay pleasant here - that was taking the yeti statement too far... no, lies and violence are not good parenting- geez... Mickey Mouse is just a figment of your imagination too :) Unless you are prepared to say this site is full of a bunch of people who believe in lies and you would never take you kids to wdw b/c that would only encourage those lies...

that's how silly your comment sounded.

Well . . . to be honest (and I think I've told this story before) when my son was about 3 or 4, he said to Linda and me: "What's the deal with this Santa Clause thing. There's no way anyone could do all that stuff."

We told him the truth, but we also told him to be very respectful of other kids and not tell them anything that would upset them.

There's no question my parenting isn't for everybody, but it works for me.

Since I have respect for everyone's personal choices, I'll soften my stance a bit. My previous statements are my opinion . . . not necessarily the best way for every person to raise every child. Please don't be offended by anything I've said, and I certainly understand and respect your point.

. . . but I am strongly opposed to violence and it has worked for me.

Maybe I'm just lucky.;)

jesserin

garyhoov said:
Well . . . to be honest (and I think I've told this story before) when my son was about 3 or 4, he said to Linda and me: "What's the deal with this Santa Clause thing. There's no way anyone could do all that stuff."

We told him the truth, but we also told him to be very respectful of other kids and not tell them anything that would upset them.

There's no question my parenting isn't for everybody, but it works for me.

Since I have respect for everyone's personal choices, I'll soften my stance a bit. My previous statements are my opinion . . . not necessarily the best way for every person to raise every child. Please don't be offended by anything I've said, and I certainly understand and respect your point.

. . . but I am strongly opposed to violence and it has worked for me.

Maybe I'm just lucky.;)

That's awsome! I was never taught to believe in Santa Claus either - my daddy was Santa Claus in my eyes... I never spoiled the suprise for other kids and that's exactly how i plan to raise my kids... so i agree with you there... :)

I am strongly opposed to violence as well! That is a great method of teaching, for your kids and I look forward to bringing mine up in a similar environment...

having said that i still think the yeti comment was funny... :)

mmartelli

Original Poster
maggiegrace1 said:
Am I the only person here who goes to Disney World to have fun?I really do not care who is in a stroller or a wheelchair,who's kid is screaming and throwing a fit.It really is none of my business and I dont let it get to me..Why worry about petty little things when I just spent a lot of money to be here.I really dont think these things are going to ruin someones vacation....I do not go there to find different things I can complain about..kids in strollers,people in wheelchairs,fat people who should be walking...I go there to spend time with my family in a place that I love.

I think everyone goes to WDW to have fun. I had a great time as usual. However its real anoying that some people dont care if their kids infringe on somone else's fun. Its ok to complain about something once in a while...WDW is my favorite destination...I would even turn away a trip to traverse Europe in favor of a 3 day hopper pass at WDW.

Get over yourself and realize that some people dont think things are as perfect as you say it is. Some people are anoyed by the disrespect that others show at WDW. We chose to vent our frustration here.

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
jesserin said:
having said that i still think the yeti comment was funny... :)

Yeah, I took it too seriously because my wife just got back from visiting with her sisters and she was telling me some things that my sister-in-law had said to my nephew that sort of bugged me.

As a joke it's fine, but I was imagining someone saying it to a kid I cared about and that bothered me more than it should have.:)

mmartelli

Original Poster
maggiegrace1 said:
I fully understand both of your points..and it is annoying and frustrating..I just think that people are letting their trips be ruined by these things.If it happens..be mad,upset,frustrated..whatever..but then get over it.Some people here are letting their vacations be ruined by these things.

Perhapse I was a bit harsh last time, for that I appologize. Im just frustrated with this attitutde that "kids will be kids." That doesnt make the misbehavior any better. I am a architecture student and I am fascinated by the Details at WDW. It is impossible to catch the details with screaming kids who wont let you hear the details of sound, kids who take pictures of everythign with flashes or talk on their cells or create scenes prevent me from noticing the subtle details of scenery.

People also go to WDW to forget about reality. Its pleasant to go to WDW and only have to worry about 3 things (what to eat, what to ride, when is the next parade). Its hard to imerse yourself in the magic when you have a kid poking at you or screaming in your ear.

Lets also take a moment to thank the hard working cast members who have to put up with unrully children who won't listen to their directions. And thoese parents who let the kids disrespect the CM's. I would have never gotten away with that. I was a kid once too, but there were limits to what I could get away with. the moment I disrespected a CM or another WDW guest I would have been smacked

mmartelli

Original Poster
speck76 said:
well...no...it is not a right......it is a choice that they still allow you to make....but it is not a right.

Hey Hey...just because we are young doesn't mean whe don't know anything. May I remind you all that Our founding fathers were all in their 20's at the start of the Revolution. It seems that alot of you posting here are getting angry with us yutes when we comment on how anoying it is to see older kids in strollers. Give us a break, we know more than you think...having children doesn't change morality.

Disnut

I am just going to jump in here without reading a whole lot right now. So here it is I am a good mom and my DH is a good dad, we try to scold our choldren and we get told by a number of people that our children are some of the best behaved children in the resturants that we go to. But because I don't want to sign some papers saying that I will defenetly take my DD to the doc for stress. The school turned me into child protective services. I told the chool that I would watch her and if I see she needs to go I will take her during the summer. You don't take a child to the doc just because they have a tummy ache. You try over the counter stuff first then if it gets worse you take them. Now I am being forced into taking my DD to a doc I don't think she needs to go to. I don't know who is at fault but someone is because it is not me scolding my kids the wrong way. Time out does not work in all cases. I am not for beating the kids, but we have let the kids get away with murder so to speak for way too long now. The are alot of great parents here on the broad and we need to respect them no matter what thier belief is on disapline.

mmartelli

Original Poster
jesserin said:
alright... i'm opening myself up here for a big flaming... but it has to be said...

There were instances on our trip where I could be accused of being parent B.

There is no excuse for rudeness... and heaven forbid a parent push someone out of the way with their stroller - b/c that is quite rude... but to the credit of the parent - people that tend to view others as discourteous for trying to navigate a stroller tend to be the same people who find themselves standing still when someone is clearly saying excuse me... even if it is interupting the fireworks or show or whatever... and you just want to stand their and watch and not have to keep moving out of the way... you've chosen to place yourself in an environment with children. And kids have needs that can't necessarily wait like an adults... I remember well how frustrating it could be trying to accomodate kids all day when it was just my DH & I touring the parks...

Sure you can get in front of me to see mickey, OK i'll move for the 10th time b/c this kid has to go the bathroom... again... No problem sweetie - take my seat on the bus you look like you've had a long day... Here, I know I've been sitting here at this parade spot for 2 hours and you just walked up - but go ahead have a seat...

Frustrating? yes - and i suppose some would say how dare a parent let their child behave like that! But seriously come on - were we not all kids too at one time? I mean maybe a few of you had that horrible of a childhood that your parents made you wet your pants and miss parades all together b/c you were standing in line for dumbo and now there's no place to see - but really... most of our parents weren't like that at all... I'm the oldest of 4 - some of which are still kids... and my parents have taught us to always be kind and respectful of others... but here again- they are kids! And yes, kids will be kids - not bullys... that's unexcusable - but kids are impatient - (we all were!) kids have small bladders - (we all did) - Kids get excited and angered easily! (and that's ok!) there's appropriate ways of handling these situations and some parents choose to have it out with their kids right then and there and some wait... this whole thread is such a joke to me... kids are not behaving any worse in WDW than they used to - we just older now and instead of being that "unbehaving kid" ourselves - we are now the "so much wiser and well behaved adults"

So how about we stop "blaming" parents for not parenting - and try to practice some patience ourselves... I'm with Dana - i go to have a good time and honestly - a kid bumping into me 3x's or squeezing in beside me at a parade just doesn't bother me... as well it shouldn't.

Since we are the "adults" here - let's be the one's to act like it and exercise patience and try to be a little more forgiving... I have yet to read one instance here that a child physically abused or did something illegal in the parks... that is unexcusable... kids being kids and running or riding in strollers until they're 13 is just dumb to complain about... personally i wasn't allowed to run or ride in a stroller past the age of 3... who cares?

flame away... i just figured i'd be honest and ask y'all to remember when you were kids... oh i know - "my mom never would have let me run" yeah... sure... and you walked uphill both ways in the snow to school every day too huh?

Ok, we are forgetting the point. I was a kid too, not too long ago...but your missing the point...I was made to behave. So were many other kids my age (Im 22 now). Why is it so different nowadays that kids are alowed to get away with more rudeness? Im not saying kids have to behave like obedient soldiers...(I see such excitment in kids eyes at WDW, thats great) But seriously, if your child is misbehaving and it is effecting somone else in a negative way then you have a responsibility to controll your kid. Thats all I am saying here. I dont apreciate your sarcastic tone, because I really did get smacked when I was young. I wouldnt be where I am today if I wasnt taught discipline and manners from my parents.

speck76

mmartelli said:
Hey Hey...just because we are young doesn't mean whe don't know anything. May I remind you all that Our founding fathers were all in their 20's at the start of the Revolution. It seems that alot of you posting here are getting angry with us yutes when we comment on how anoying it is to see older kids in strollers. Give us a break, we know more than you think...having children doesn't change morality.

ah.....if you are talking about the Founding Fathers of America, and the American Revolution, you are incorrect.

maggiegrace1

mmartelli said:
I

Get over yourself and realize that some people dont think things are as perfect as you say it is. Some people are anoyed by the disrespect that others show at WDW. We chose to vent our frustration here.

First of all.. Get over myself!.That is hard to do when you are as great as me...:cool: (Just Joking)
Anyway....I do not think things are perfect..never said that at all..I do understand your frustrations and Yes,it is annoying and I do hate Disrespectful people..Adults and Kids..
My point is there is NOTHING we can do..really ...So just enjoy your vacation and try not to let them ruin it for you.. That is what I said I do...Im not saying you are wrong..Im just saying that it does not pay to be so upset or angry over a situation you cant change.
Then you are miserable and it messes up your vacation and the others who have done these things just go right on along with no problem.
I

eils

i'm nearly 15 and some of the kids behaviour out there does annoy me!.i just hate the fact that people see a few teenagers being rude or disrespectful then they label all teenagers as being rude.that really gets to me because i'm not a rude teen :).my dad has brought me up and still tells me about how important manners are.

speck76

Much like the people that see one drunk on their trip and think alcohol should be taken out of the parks, people notice the "exception"...not the rule.

I love when I hear people comment "there were so many british people i nteh park today"....well...no....only a few million visit all year, you just notice them more, and do not notice that 95% of the visitors are American....

summergirl32

The first time I took my two boys to WDW they were 2 & 5. They both have ADHD and I had no idea how they would react. They were holy terrors (at times) and there was very little my husband and I could do. Sure you correct the problem when it happened but you cannot predict what preschoolers and toddlers are going to do next. We were quick to apologize to anyone they bothered. With that said, I don't regret taking them at all. Seeing Disney through their eyes is amazing. We have since taken them five times and their behavior gets better with each visit. I expect that most children are in "overload" when they arrive at Disney and their behavior is going to be less than perfect (to put it mildly). It does not mean their parents are bad or that they themselves are bad, they are just beside themselves with excitement.
As for the stroller issue, I think parents must make this decision based on the endurance of their children. I will be the first to say that all the strollers in the parks are a nuissance but Disney is a kid-oriented park and strollers there are a fixture that aren't going away. If getting hit in the ankles ruins your entire vacation then perhaps you need to loosen up a little and enjoy what the world has to offer.

bigbadwolf

summergirl32 said:
The first time I took my two boys to WDW they were 2 & 5. They both have ADHD and I had no idea how they would react. They were holy terrors (at times) and there was very little my husband and I could do.

You have reasons for your children's behavior, but some parents do not. Do you understand what I'm getting at here? What about the familes with children who have children who aren't diagnosed with ADHD?

--------------------------------------------------------------

Oh and a bit off-topic here... Has anyone noticed this exetreme increase with children diagnosed with ADHD in the states? :lookaroun

Would you believe when I was beat up by some bully the parents of bully said their child had ADHD, so the principal let him off. Even though the bully had a history of beating and picking on other children. :confused:

mmartelli

Original Poster
maggiegrace1 said:
What if "BOB" Has some medical condition that you do not know about? Whether it is caused from his weight or other.What if he can not stand for long periods of time..but can walk a little bit at a time. We do not know what is wrong with these people,granted some people may not have anything wrong and are taking advantage..but we dont know,and who are we to judge.
We are always going to have/find some reason to complain about something.We may be able to stop some things,but a lot of these things that drive us crazy are beyond our control.
Yes, parents should control their children..some do..some dont.Can we stop them..No..so why waste your time worrying about all of these things that you have no control over.

If Bob from Apopka FL, has so many "conditions" he shouldnt be riding space mountain or EE for the 3rd time. Your too nice to people, they should walk it off. But alas, the truth hurts. I dont think that so many people have so many problems. Walking doesnt hurt. Doctors recomend some walking even for obese people with heart diseas. Plus I saw many a bob from Apopka FL, eating turkey legs or guzzling down soda and beer...not to healthy.

Are Americans getting fatter? If one was to judge only by visiting WDW in a 5 year span of time, I would say yes. Perhapse if we all took time to walk instead of ride a wheelchair, then maybe we could help the situation.

Stop making excuses for people, if they are in perfect health enough to ride EE, Splash Mt, Space MT..etc then they are in perfect health to walk.

I lost 20 lb in one year just by walking more...Im in better shape now because of it.

Disnut

mmartelli said:
Stop making excuses for people, if they are in perfect health enough to ride EE, Splash Mt, Space MT..etc then they are in perfect health to walk.

I lost 20 lb in one year just by walking more...Im in better shape now because of it.

My DH has diabetes and it is hurting his feet, plus he has a bone spur on his heel. He can walk but by the end of the day he is miserable and hurting bad. If he can ride a while than I say go for it. Now we have yet to do that because we haven't got to go to WDW since we really found out.

As far as losing weight I have also lost weight by walking. I know sometimes it is that easy but not for everyone.

mmartelli

Original Poster
garyhoov said:
Sure I am. Do you think lies and violence are good parenting?

Threats and intimidation are short term solutions. Teaching kids to respect the property and rights of others is the key.

I've never hit my son. I've never told him the "Boogie Man" would get him if he didn't behave. I've taught him to behave because it's the right thing to do . . . not to avoid punishment. He sees the way I act. He sees that I don't hit people when I don't like what they're doing.

He's never been sent to the principal's office, and none of his teachers have ever had anything but praise for his behavior.

Well then congradulations to you. But telling a kid the Yeti will get you is harmless, and as far as I am concerned kids need a dose of fear in their lives. Most kids like to explore and test their limits. Thats what being a kid is, growing and learning. Sometimes fear is a way to teach kids their limits. If they dont fear getting burned then they will never fear fire.

good for you that you didnt have to beat your kid, or threaten a yeti visit. Your lucky. I know If I wasnt instilled with fear then I would be a brat.

But shame on you for taking away a sense of accomplishment for your child. If you tell your child the Yeti will get you then your child will not fear the Yeti and therefore will not feel a sense of accomplishemnt from surviving a Yeti Attack.

MouseCrazy

Interesting thread ... Here's my two cents ...

I have taught in the public school system for 20 years and I have seen huge changes in how America raises her children; more broken homes, a more diverse population, moms in the work force, latchkey children (those left alone for large periods of time while both parents are working), fewer families attending church, a rise in litigation due to abuse, more violence on tv and in music, less respect for authority figures (does anyone remember when the country actually respected their president?), families moving away from extended family support, poor role models in cartoons, sports, and in Hollywood ...

I could go on and on.

As a teacher, I can honestly say most parents are sincerely trying to raise their children correctly .. but are overwhelmed with societal influences and with just keeping their heads above water in today's economic reality.

None of this excuses bad behavior .. but it does explain some of it.

Are there more instances of bad behavior in the parks? Yes, I believe there are. But there are a LOT more visitors to the parks also. More hot, cranky bodies = more instances of poor behavior.

Does this mean kids are "getting worse"? No, at least "I" don't think so. I see great kids every day. Every time I am in WDW, watching the kids is my favorite thing to do and I always leave the parks feeling pretty good about most of the things I see. Seriously - next time you are there, really watch ALL the kids ... not just the ones acting up. You will be surprised, I think.

My hat's off to all parents, especially single parents and grandparents raising their children's children. Its an incredibly difficult undertaking, always has been, always will be.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom