Are E-Machine computers any good?

TurboCaroline

Is it 5:00 yet?
Original Poster
Are E-Machines any good? My Dad has a Compaq:)hurl: ) that the hard drive started making a loud noise. So he is looking into getting another computer. My dad is a cheapskate so he is looking for the best deal. He saw an E-Machine online at Circuit City for $290. That seems awful cheap to me. I just don't know the reputation of the company. Anyone have any knowledge of E-Machine?

Uponastar

Are E-Machines any good? My Dad has a Compaq:)hurl: ) that the hard drive started making a loud noise. So he is looking into getting another computer. My dad is a cheapskate so he is looking for the best deal. He saw an E-Machine online at Circuit City for $290. That seems awful cheap to me. I just don't know the reputation of the company. Anyone have any knowledge of E-Machine?

DH is a computer geek and he says the E-Machine would be a huge mistake.
He said to take the $290, and buy a refurbished Dell.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I second the refurbed DELL. I got a $1200 laptop for about $700 through DELL's refurb department. Look at DELL's regular PCs to get an idea of what you want and need then call their refurb department with those specs and see what they have that meets or exceeds those specs.

E machine's are barley good enough to surf the net and check email. Forget about playing games, photo editing etc. The only reason I would even consider one would be for my 5 year old to have her own PC.

TurboCaroline

Original Poster
Thanks...I'll let my dad know...
A guy that I work with hates Dell. He doesn't like dealing with their tech support. I personally like Dell. I've had mine for almost 2 years and haven't had any problems with it(knock on wood).
My dad is also looking at an HP. For some reason I don't like Hp and I'm not sure why:shrug:

Nemo14

We have an e-machine that our kids gave us for Christmas a couple of years ago. Let's just say I would not get another....

WDWFREAK53

I'm sure you could get a decent Packard Bell for that price :lookaroun

JUST KIDDING :lol:

I have a refurbished Commodore 64 if you're interested.

One basic line of text needed...

Load "*",8,1 :lol:

Everything loaded just by calling it an asterisk!

TurboCaroline

Original Poster
I'm sure you could get a decent Packard Bell for that price :lookaroun

JUST KIDDING :lol:

I have a refurbished Commodore 64 if you're interested.

One basic line of text needed...

Load "*",8,1 :lol:

Everything loaded just by calling it an asterisk!
:lookaroun

eagles

i had an e machine, wal-mart version. i loved it compared to my dell. i have to say for me it was the best puter i have had so far. i had NO problems with downloading and playing games, i had ph elements and did editing for over a year with zero problems.

the reason i talk in past tense is because it is now dead. we had lightnng strick. the mother boards was still good, so i am lucky i have all my photos still.

i would buy another e machine, however, after my trip to disney, i am going to look for a really really good one.

doop

I own two emachines, one I've had for three years and still runs excellently, and this one I've had for about a year. The only problem I really found with it is that the graphics card is pretty lacking, but I like to play PC games a lot so I just replaced it. But other than that it runs very well and I have experienced no problems with either of them. I would recommend them to anybody.

WDWFigment

If you are using the computer to do anything besides word processing and web browsing, do not get an e-machine. You may think these few stories warrant taking your chances, trust me, they don't. I have horror stories about e machines from working four years in IT.

MAF

I've had both a Dell and an eMachine and I honestly prefer the eMachine much more. The Dell wasn't that great in my opinion...

TheOneVader

It's really not possible to group all computers from a particular company as either good or bad. It all comes down to the specifications of the system. Some manufacturers use higher quality parts and have better tech support, though. That said about specs being key, for $290 you won't get much.

However, if it's anecdotes you want, I have owned 2 eMachines in my life. The first one lasted years before I gave it away. The second lasted about 3 years before I wanted to upgrade, and is still chugging along. With a RAM and Video card upgrade, it was able to play Battlefield 2 and run other programs just fine. I also owned a Dell that I didn't have any problems with. Honestly I think you should go with whoever has better tech support and warranty, which I cannot comment on since I never use tech support.

I'll leave you with the best thing I've ever done in computing: The best manufacturer I've ever had is myself.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom