Are Disney execs looking at the success of cars land to create future projects on that scale?

Mike K

That makes some sense, if the initial concepts are of the "everything but the kitchen sink" variety. Not everything that is designed will make the cut. As you said, it will be reduced in scope to a manageable size. I'd say closer to the $250mil than the $500 when the actual budget is set.

And Jim Cameron ain't paying diddly.

I echo that remark. Cameron isn't dropping a penny of his own income into this project but don't worry he'll be collecting plenty once this expansion is complete. I really urge people to give Avatar a chance and not let your judgements on the film itself blind you from the amazing potential that Pandora presents for Disney guests. Cameron created a world that proudly stands as immersive as any great Disney attraction can be. If the budget on this project gets squared away thats reasonable for all parties involved, I strongly believe we're in for one of the most unique Disney experiences we never expected.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I dont know if Cars Land will happen, however, I would have a hard time believing that Disney exec's in Florida arent throwing around ideas on how to A)expand Pixar Place, and B) big new ride/themed area in place of the backlot tour, and C) add something into the streets of NY/SF area.
Believe it. They are. They just won't commit or get funding.

WDWFigment

I'm not optimistic that Cars Land will have an impact on future budgets, at least not immediately, but I certainly think it should.

Much like Wizarding World of Harry Potter, Cars Land transcends the park in which it's located. People will plan vacations around it, saying that they're "going to Disney Land and Cars Land!" DCA needed a tent-pole land like this, and I'd argue that at least two of the parks at Walt Disney World need additions that become 'water cooler' material with the GENERAL PUBLIC. Additions like Everest or the Fantasyland Expansion don't get the general public talking the same way WWoHP and Cars Land have--I think the only way to get that type of reaction is to spend big on something that really resonates with the general public.

To me, it seems to make better economic sense to spend more on something that will turn heads in the general public than to spend less to save in the short term that will only turn the heads of Disney fans. Disney is already in the pockets of the fans...

Now, this certainly doesn't mean that this is what Disney will do.

janoimagine

I agree with you completely Tom.

What I find discouraging in all this is that until a major management shakeup happens in Orlando, I do not see anything close to this coming to the East Coast. (I will believe Avatar when I see the numbers and the Bulldozers)

I had the benefit of being in LA on production and getting to preview Carls Land with the AP crowd. To say that it is stunning is an understatement, Disney has really reset the bar for theming with RSR. DL Suits are already talking about major expansions to Tomorrowland and Frontierland if you read Al's column today.

I grew up at the going to the East property in the 70's, 80's and 90's and only recently have had the chance to visit the original park but I continue to be impressed with what TDA can accomplish and continue to be let down with what TDO finds acceptable. My wife and I have decided to spend our money on the West Coast and DCL, because in my opinion, they still represent the true Disney brand.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Indeed. Even though HP at Uni is creating a lot of buzz, it hasn't really effected WDWs attendance nor their bottom line, at least not according to the most recent estimates from last year. So, why would they worry or bother with trying to compete on that scale. I think what they have in the pipeline for now, FLE finishing with Avatar on deck, is all we're going to get for awhile. Perhaps once Avatar is near completion we'll start hearing about something new, but I highly doubt anything before then.

If anything Harry Potter may actually increase attendance for Disney. I know a number of people from my area who were not planning a trip to WDW who went or are going to Orlando to see the boy wizard. They aren't spending a whole week at Universal so Disney attendance actually gets to benefit from Universals expansion. Maybe they lose out on some locals who choose a Universal pass over WDW but the total attendance probably evens out especially in the long run.

Sketch105

These days, the trend for "immersive entertainment" is a top draw. Harry Potter. Carsland. New Fantasyland. Antarctica at SeaWorld Orlando. This is the new trend in theme park entertainment- spending tons on brand new AREAS of a park rather than just one attraction. However, I want to see how this spending spree goes on further. Many parks are now copying the lands that they created and duplicating them overseas, and it begs the question of whether it gets to be too much. I think rather than Carsland here in Orlando, I would rather that stay unique to California and have an all new land at AK or D-Studios that you can't find anywhere else.

WDW1974

I'm not optimistic that Cars Land will have an impact on future budgets, at least not immediately, but I certainly think it should.

Much like Wizarding World of Harry Potter, Cars Land transcends the park in which it's located. People will plan vacations around it, saying that they're "going to Disney Land and Cars Land!" DCA needed a tent-pole land like this, and I'd argue that at least two of the parks at Walt Disney World need additions that become 'water cooler' material with the GENERAL PUBLIC. Additions like Everest or the Fantasyland Expansion don't get the general public talking the same way WWoHP and Cars Land have--I think the only way to get that type of reaction is to spend big on something that really resonates with the general public.

Well, it 'could' ... not now, not under the Iger/Staggs/Rasulo leadership, but I expect that team to be completely gone from Disney in 24-36 months. Depending on who takes over, anything is possible.

I do like your use of the word 'tentpole' in the theme park sense. Have you been reading The Hollywood Reporter? They had a story that was in the June 22nd issue that was using the term and saying pretty much the same thing. I'd like to think that just plain quality would work, but Disney (and UNI) didn't seem so interested in that until recently. I think Potter and Cars just proved that guests would flock to wonderfully themed immersive areas that had it all -- eye candy, attractions, food and retail. Now ... there are parks that are eye candy on their own ... TDS and DLP certainly fit that bill ... one could argue HKDL and BGW as well just for location alone.

But it does appear that the tentpole mentality is being embraced right now. And so far UNI and Disney have each hit it out of the park by doing so.

Now, Everest may have driven attendance up at DAK, but only so that it was able to leap frog TPFKaTD-MGMS as WDW's No. 3 park. But that doesn't mean much. It didn't resonate with the public consciousness beyond the Disney geeks or people who were planning trips anywhere. Potter and, so far, Cars have hit on that much deeper nerve (sorta like when a TV series or film becomes a smash).

And if anyone at TDO or Burbank seriously thinks the Fantasyland expansion (which really isn't ... but am I baiting fanbois by sticking it here?) is gonna be a Potter/Cars driver, they truly are smoking something more powerful than Pixie Dust.

To me, it seems to make better economic sense to spend more on something that will turn heads in the general public than to spend less to save in the short term that will only turn the heads of Disney fans. Disney is already in the pockets of the fans...

Now, this certainly doesn't mean that this is what Disney will do.

Since when was WDW run in a way that made sense long term (for fans, guests, cast AND shareholders)?

NoChesterHester

Well, it 'could' ... not now, not under the Iger/Staggs/Rasulo leadership, but I expect that team to be completely gone from Disney in 24-36 months. Depending on who takes over, anything is possible.

First time we have heard a timeline from you. Interesting.

Here is what I don't get however - it isn't like Iger's group has been shy about spending money at the parks. Also under his direction the animation studios has been successful and they have a major blockbuster hit in the Avengers - making his Marvel purchase look like he wasn't off his rocker. Additionally, Disney stock is doing well.

I'm not a defender - I'm just not sure why the B.O.D. would want him out. He seems to be a steady hand and financially a success as the boss.

But it does appear that the tentpole mentality is being embraced right now. And so far UNI and Disney have each hit it out of the park by doing so.

Now, Everest may have driven attendance up at DAK, but only so that it was able to leap frog TPFKaTD-MGMS as WDW's No. 3 park. But that doesn't mean much. It didn't resonate with the public consciousness beyond the Disney geeks or people who were planning trips anywhere. Potter and, so far, Cars have hit on that much deeper nerve (sorta like when a TV series or film becomes a smash).

And if anyone at TDO or Burbank seriously thinks the Fantasyland expansion (which really isn't ... but am I baiting fanbois by sticking it here?) is gonna be a Potter/Cars driver, they truly are smoking something more powerful than Pixie Dust.?

I agree with your points here. I am pointing out the obvious in saying that these major theme park hit areas are based on well beloved and well known properties. It is absolutely what is helping drive the attendance in a big way. To deny that is folly.

In seeing this it is obvious to me - a non-suit wearing non-billionare non-excecutive - that they are chasing the next franchises for obvious reasons... Following the fire. What is the BIG idea that could save Hollywood Studios or go into AK (besides Avatar)????

It is all just for fun anyway. They would have to commit big dollars to re-imagining a park that receives 9 million turnstile clicks a year. Hard to picture that.

threeyoda

If completely agree with you. If I had to guess, I'd say now that Disneyland has a "tentpole" immersive themed area, Disney World's Avatar will act as the same thing. After what has happened with Potter in Orlando first, and now Cars Land, and eventually Potter in Hollywood and Potter 2.0 in Orlando, I think TDO will realize that if you go all out and make an expansion great, people will come, and people will talk about it. Fantasyland Expansion was built to address capacity issues in the park - not to compete with Potter or get the general public talking. I think that this is what they're hoping Avatarland will do - get the public talking, bring people to the resort, and compete with Potter 2.0. And if they build it and build it right, that's what will happen. And if TDO cuts back on the project, I'd have to assume that Burbank will force it on them, Avatar being Iger's final and most important project. Burbank has apparently been forcing a couple things on TDO recently, so they seem to see there's a problem in there too. But anyway, if Avatar is done right and well, it should become DIsney World's "tentpole".

WDW1974

First time we have heard a timeline from you. Interesting.

Here is what I don't get however - it isn't like Iger's group has been shy about spending money at the parks. Also under his direction the animation studios has been successful and they have a major blockbuster hit in the Avengers - making his Marvel purchase look like he wasn't off his rocker. Additionally, Disney stock is doing well.

I'm not a defender - I'm just not sure why the B.O.D. would want him out. He seems to be a steady hand and financially a success as the boss.

They haven't gone overboard either. Fantasyland at MK was originally an $800 million massive reworking of the entire land. The project was cut by more than half (even after they put the kiddie coaster back in). The DCA project was approved at just the right time, I've been told if it had been as little as four months later than we'd still be walking in under the Golden Gate while hearing 'I Love LA' and "Do You Know the Way to San Jose' blaring in the Sunshine Court. REALLY!

And they are allowing Euro Disney SCA to default on its debt obligations, while the resort crumbles rather than put the billlion dollars into it that it desperately needs.

Avengers makes him look very smart (even after paying $115 million to Paramount plus a percentage of the gross believed to be about 10%), but John Carter and, more importantly Rich Ross makes him look like what he is -- a TV guy that never understood or appreciated the differences in running a film studio.

The stock is doing great ... now ... and last Friday you should have heard the CNBC talking heads basically saying he could turn water to wine (or oil, I kinda tuned out!)

The BoD, as far as I know, doesn't want him out per se. Board members with sway do ... and John Lasseter does -- and has for a while apparently.

Worse, Iger sorta (and I don't get this) opted to make himself a very long lame duck. He wants to leave and try politics out (which is where he belongs, IMHO) and the 'tude of many, even people who support him is 'if he's going to leave anyway, why not just go and let someone who wants to be here run the company?'

I agree. And I do think it may get messy if the BoD finds someone they like who is only available for a short window ... will they let him/her go? Or will they just say 'Bob, we think it's best for the company ..."?

I agree with your points here. I am pointing out the obvious in saying that these major theme park hit areas are based on well beloved and well known properties. It is absolutely what is helping drive the attendance in a big way. To deny that is folly.

In seeing this it is obvious to me - a non-suit wearing non-billionare non-excecutive - that they are chasing the next franchises for obvious reasons... Following the fire. What is the BIG idea that could save Hollywood Studios or go into AK (besides Avatar)????

It is all just for fun anyway. They would have to commit big dollars to re-imagining a park that receives 9 million turnstile clicks a year. Hard to picture that.

I don't know. That's the problem with going for what's hot now and not looking at staying power. We keep hearing how many fanbois would love a Star Wars/Lucas land and that makes a lot of sense. Star Wars Weekends show how popular that franchise is. The fact that ancient Harrison Ford will be donning the fedora for a fifth time tells you that Indy is still incredibly popular.

But you go for just the hot thing and you risk the danger of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles land!:D

Bolna

And they are allowing Euro Disney SCA to default on its debt obligations, while the resort crumbles rather than put the billlion dollars into it that it desperately needs.

That's so sad - especially since Walt Disney Studios Paris is the one Disney park truly in need of being re-imagined. Do you really think that they will let Euro Disney SCA default - with everything it will bring as consequences?

flynnibus

Premium Member
One does not simply trust twitter.

Twitter is no different than online blogs or forums. Gotta trust the source. Misinformation spreads just as bad here as there. At least on twitter most people only RT so at least you can trace things back.

janoimagine

@ Gatorboy

I don't think it's an issue of being open later into the evening as they have done it in the past with EMH quite a bit, the bigger issue would be things like pyrotechnics and loud noises that could stress the animals. It's a really fine line and one that if not done right would give the average animal rights activist enough fodder to give Disney a pr headache.

flynnibus

Premium Member

What ever happened to your Baxter is dead-man walking stories? It seems that timeframe has long come and gone...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom