Apple discontinue Aperture

NowInc

They are also killing iPhoto. Basically the functionality of both programs will be in their new "photo" app.
For those who aren't willing to pay for Lightroom (which for $10 a month its a steal as well as getting Photoshop with it), I've heard some people enjoying OnOne software.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
They are also killing iPhoto. Basically the functionality of both programs will be in their new "photo" app.
For those who aren't willing to pay for Lightroom (which for $10 a month its a steal as well as getting Photoshop with it), I've heard some people enjoying OnOne software.
It looks like the new app is more of an iPhoto replacement. There seems to be a lot of doubt that the new version will have the pro-level features that Aperture had. The fact that Apple are assisting Adobe with a migration tool to Lightroom isn't very encouraging.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I never "understood" Aperture. iPhoto just ed me off. I stick with photoshop, with captioning/keywording/IPTC in PhotoMechanic.
It is a really well done application. Very good for the organization, and all the edits are non-destructive to the original.

NowInc

It looks like the new app is more of an iPhoto replacement. There seems to be a lot of doubt that the new version will have the pro-level features that Aperture had. The fact that Apple are assisting Adobe with a migration tool to Lightroom isn't very encouraging.

Judging by their twitter, adobe was well aware that this was going to happen as well and had a "move to Lightroom" type post ready to go just minutes after the announcement, not to mention all the focus on apple products at their keynote less than a month ago . I just am not a fan of Adobe's shift towards iPad use, and no..not because I'm a surface pro fanboy. I'd be happy if they dedicated the resources to supporting ALL platforms. The argument of apple being better for graphics hasn't been valid in a long long time, and has never been the case with ANY tablet. I have discussed this many times already with colleagues who are on the same page as me. When adobe spends only 10 minutes to talk about their flagship program, Photoshop, but spends over an hour showing off iOS apps, it doesn't hold well for the future direction of their product lines.

donsullivan

Premium Member
Aperture has been on life-support for a couple of years now without much more than compatibility updates anyway. I'm just glad they ended the endless loop of speculation and wishful thinking about it's future. I was a user of Aperture since v1 but late last year with the release of LR5 and no documented commitment from Apple on Aperture, I made the switch. I always felt Aperture had a better UI and significantly better Digital Asset Management but in the end it just got way too far behind on it's actual photo processing capabilities relative to the market.

Everything seems to indicate that they are creating a new generation of iPhoto called Photos for iOS and OSX (to be released in early 2015) that is intended to be be feature matched across platforms and automatically synchronized via iCloud. The over-arching message that came out of WWDC is that switching between iOS and OSX will become seamless in the future and this is just another tool their working on to enable that.

The stuff that seems to be creating all the confusion and new wave of wishful thinking is that many of the common components of photo processing (RAW processing, etc..) are being added to the OS vs needing to be built into each app. That means nothing for what Apple has announced but it will likely make it easier for a new generation of apps to be developed in the future using those OS level tools.

ddbowdoin

I have this super new software... It's called a Besseler enlarger. Runs on a super complicated 12v light bulb lol... I kid, I kid

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom