Anyone else have a terrible DME baggage experience?

DME Disappoints Again

Original Poster
Just wondering if I'm the only one who has waited over 4 hours for bags from DME only to be told by the All Star Movies staff that my bags are still at the airport.

Seriously?

I highly recommend not sending your bags on DME unless you canlive a night without them. I don't know which is more annoying, having to sleep in the jeans I traveled in or the assurance that I'll get woken up if my bags show up at 4 am.

Absolutely disappointing. What a sham.

Tom

Beta Return
90% of the time, the system works perfectly. But when it doesn't, it's a HUGE customer service let down.

There's a big reliance on a DME crew member seeing the yellow tag while it's still in the baggage processing area of the airport and pulling the bag off for shipment to the resort. Lots of human error can take place.

I'm way too OCD, and can't stand not being in control of my bags. But then if you get your own bags, you have to factor in the insanely long time it takes to get bags at MCO. It can be at least 30 min of standing at the carousel before it even starts running (compared to only a few minutes at most modern airports). Baggage handling at MCO is downright poor, so choose your battle.

Of course, if we're getting in late in the evening, we'll get our own because we need them right away. I don't want to sit in the room for 4 hours at 8pm, waiting for my clothes and bedtime stuff.

It's an ideal service for the family that wants to bus to the resort, check in, and run to the parks for the day. They will be magically surprised when they get back to their room. Those of us who like to settle in, not so much.

DancingPhoenix

About 5 years ago my family stayed at the Grand Floridian and our bags didn't arrive on time, either. We also had to spend the night in what we flew down in and didn't get our bags until maybe 9am the next morning.

That being said, every year I've used it since it's worked out perfectly! It is a good reminder to pack one change of clothes or pajamas in your carry on though, for any trip ;)

The Tuna

Never had a problem ever. We also make sure we have essentials with us in case luggage is late or lost which I have had happen before. Your bags may not have made your flight and could be the reason they were still at the airport. may have had to come down on a later flight. Who knows. Let's just bash anyway right?

SAV

Just because you planned poorly, doesn't mean the system is bad.

It is a known thing that the bags don't arrive when you do and it may be several hours before you get them. It's on you to bring a change of clothes or jammies with you in your carry on.

You could also call down to the front desk and tell them that you are going to sleep and not to deliver the bags until the next morning to avoid being woken up for them.

And instead of sleeping in your jeans, you could have slept in your undies...problem(which really isn't a problem) solved.

disneydudette

We typically land before 10a... and never an issue. As another poster mentioned, we'd check-in, drop our carry-ons and return to the resort later in the afternoon to bags waiting.

We planned on taking a later flight (Friday arrival) that would land a little after 6p. After reading MULTIPLE reports of late arrivals and baggage delays... there was no way I was chancing an issue with ME.

ME quotes 3 hours after your RESORT ARRIVAL. Which means if your flight landed at 8p, and you made it your resort by 9:30p... your 3 hours begins there: estimated delivery around 1:30a.

There are far too many variables with a late (after 7p) arrival for us to ever chance ME.

JasonDeyoung

I've only used it once and that was I wanna say 4 years ago, maybe 5. Anyways arrived in the morning time got checked in went to studios came back they were in my room waiting. Didn't seem like it was that long to be delivered. If I remember correctly I was only gone 2-3 hours so that's about the timeframe they give you. Could be longer obviously during busy times of the year.

Jahona

Both times we used DME we received our luggage in a timely fashion. The first time they were delivered about 4 hours after we arrived at the resort. My trip last year they arrived really quick. We checked into the resort early and they had a room open. We dropped off our carry on and went to explore the resort. Came back 30-45 minutes later and our luggage was already in the room.

BigHero4

This was one of my rookie mistakes... our luggage showed up about 3-4 hours after we arrived to AS Sports. Not a big deal to me, but my 4 year old's swim trunks were in my luggage and when a 4 y/o is on the brink of a meltdown 4 hours into your Disney vacation, you Pray like crazy that your baggage gets to your room ASAP. Luckily it showed up just before he snapped.

I'll use DME again, but will plan better next time.

We always use DME, but we get our own bags. When we were there in March, we were not going to the parks, so we got off the plane, grabbed our bags from the carousel and headed to the bus. The driver put the bags under the bus and we were off. We've done that many times due to my husband's distrust of people delivering things. It works well and beats having to rent a car or pay for a cab!

Chef Mickey

Too many switching hands. Take your own bags to the DME bus and you'll be a lot happier next time.

It might take 20 minutes longer, but it puts your mind at rest knowing the driver put them under the bus.

ninjaprincesst

Not having to deal with my luggage is the main reason I used ME. I have only ever had one problem, we were about to leave to go to the parks after eating an early lunch my mother and I went back to the room to drop off the mugs and our luggage had already arrived and we noticed one suitcase was missing. I called about it the cast member said he would check and call me back, he called back literally two minutes later and said Southwest had put it on a different flight and it was on it's way. When we came back to clean up for our dinner adr it was there.

Betsyboo

I've used DME successfully on 5 trips. The key is to have essentials in your carryon, including bathing suits and pjs. Yes, it takes time but once our bags beat us to the room so it can really go either way.

dreamfinder

The key is to have essentials in your carryon, including bathing suits and pjs. Yes, it takes time but once our bags beat us to the room so it can really go either way.

A good rule for any sort of air travel where you check your luggage. Make sure you can live for 24 hours out of your carry on. Checked luggage goes astray all the time, even without having to worry about DME. If you have multiple people on your trip, one person does carry on that serves as 24 hour luggage for the rest of your party.

JIMINYCR

Never had a major issue with using DME. Oh, there were delays occasionally on luggage being delivered, but we were warned ahead of time of that possibility by our TA and read about it in guide books. So we were prepared with having our essentials in our carry ons. I'd still rather have the service in effect than not, just because theres a delay its still worth it to me to have it provided.

CheshireCat12

The first time I checked bags with DME my bags were delayed. Got them almost 24 hours later. Was not a happy camper as I hemmed and hawed about trusting my bags to the system and ultimately decided Disney would know what they were doing. In the end, I think it was due to the airline, not DME. You never know. FWIW, I have used DME for my bags twice since then and gotten my bags quickly. Still, I prefer to travel light with only carryons if I can.

NormC

Never have any troubles. Love DME. You are told up front that your bags will be delivered to your room in several hours. You are told to bring anything you need immediately in your carry on bags. OP is clearly a troll. Created user name same as subject of his one and only post. This thread should be deleted.

PinnySmart

I can't believe someone creates a screen name DME Disapoints Again just to come here and bash DME. I am seeing a lot of new members that seem to think this forum is a complaint dept. I understand that venting can make one feel better but if there is an issue with any part of a Disney vacation one should always complain to Disney. Complaining here will accomplish nothing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom