Any Crappy but Clean recommendations?

AEfx

Original Poster
It's been awhile since I've stayed off-site, but I'm doing an open-ended trip where I'm driving myself and just don't have the extra cash to spend. I've got an AP, but even with discounts it's still more than I can really spend to stay on-site; I'd rather stay more days since admission is already paid for than stay for less days and spend more just to stay on-site (especially since I'll have my own vehicle).

It's been a couple of years since I have even driven around Orlando outside of WDW (I lived there for awhile, though), but I recall lots of Days Inn type places with 2-3 night specials for walk-ins and was wondering if those sorts of deals still exist, or if I am better off making sure I have reservations before I go. When I first moved to Orlando I remember spending the first week hopping between those types of places until my apartment was ready, and it was just fine for what I needed.

I'm normally not a "fly by the seat of your pants" type when it comes to travel, but my requirements for this trip are just a clean bed to sleep in and a place to shower. I'm not looking for anything "magical", just the cheapest place to stay for 3-5 days around the second week of May.

So any advice, or suggestions? I've got AAA, but what I'm finding through them isn't really much cheaper than on-site to begin with (with the AP discount at a Value).

Thanks!

AEfx

barnum42

There may be an internet site with offers?

Last few trips I've got late deals through the net, though different things are available to us in the UK.

Alternatively, head to one of the tourist information places - I don't know for sure where they are now, there used to be one at The Mercardo on I-Drive and one at Fort Liberty on 192, they will have a list of the places that have special offers on. This is how I got a place to stay a couple of times in the past when I just arrived on a flight, picked up a car and headed off to find a place to stay.

davinakb

Check out some of the Priceline message boards for strategy and location tips. Wouldn't go less than a 2.5* but you should get a decent enough place at a reasonable rate. FWIW.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
You can get a 3* around WDW for $45 and sometimes the Resort category for $60 via priceline.

Sometimes the 2.5* can be cheaper, like $36 or so.

The $45 3* is usually Sheraton Safari which isn't bad at all, and the $60 Resort is the Hilton at WDW. I've won them both, and they're both fairly common when bookings are low.

2.5* puts you at a Courtyard Marriot or similiar. Check out websites like betterbidding.com and biddingfortravel.com and read up on bidding history for your time period and to see how to hedge your bets, get free rebids, and make Priceline effortless.

I'm going to DL tomorrow on super cheap priceline air and staying in a dirt cheap 3* hotel (which has good reviews and everyone says is posh).

MomofKatie

We did a super budget trip in January, and stayed at 2 different hotels on 192 right outside WDW property (very close to Celebration) for about $30/night.

We stayed at the Days Inn Maingate East for $31/night through Hotwire- I didn't feel safe there. The door lock never worked right, and the employees were pretty uncaring. I wouldn't go back.

The other place was the Howard Johnson Maingate East for $32/night through Hotwire. Our room was very large, and had a kitchenette in it. It was a good deal for the money. the pool was even pretty nice for a super budget hotel! If I needed to do another cheap trip, I'd definitely go there again.

AEfx

Original Poster
Thanks for all the great recommendations, guys!

I'll have to post when I decide - I'm definitely going to check in to HJ-East after MomofKatie's recommendation. I've also heard things about of all places Motel 6 (West Gate, I hear horrible about East).

Thanks again!

AEfx

Well, I'll be darned.

Another Master's Inn fan.

I thought I was the only one on these boards.

Incredibly cheap. Clean, no frills rooms.

EXCELLENT LOCATION. 3 minutes from parking lot to Animal Kingdom. No kidding. Look at the map of Master's Inn Maingate, and follow the road across 192. It's the back way that all the buses go to Animal Kingdom and the rest of the parks.

toadh63

When my ex- (DRC cast member) and I were still together, we always got a sweet deal at HoJo west, way out on 192. Good rates, but clean and a big pool. The pub was nice too - there were a lot of Brit tour groups billeted there.

Wilt Dasney

I stayed at the Econo Lodge on Irlo Bronson last year, and got an internet rate of less than $30/night.

No frills, but everything was clean and the place was fairly quiet.

Flounder_de

I'll have to post when I decide - I'm definitely going to check in to HJ-East after MomofKatie's recommendation. I've also heard things about of all places Motel 6 (West Gate, I hear horrible about East).

I stayed different times in the Motel 6 Main Gate East - I never had any probs and am thinking of going there again next year (early March). But it's still a long time until then :cool:

AEfx

Original Poster
Can't believe this thread is still going, hehe. I'm trying out Motel 6 Main Gate West this week. Can't beat the price - $28/night! It's gone down the closer I've come to the date, and I just booked a few days ago. I've read some decent reviews, and as long as the sheets are clean and the bathroom works properly I'll be happy.

Thanks again for all the replies, guys! Hopefully this will help someone else in the future.

AEfx

EPCOT Explorer

Hampton Inns and Wingate Hotels always work for my family.All are kept very clean and the rates are not to bad...In fact I just found a Wingate for about $89 a night!

DisneySaint

DO NOT stay in the Motel 6 on 192 (I think this is the "East Gate" one) unless you really have no standards for hotel rooms. It's crack/prostitute central and I saw a roach in every direction I looked. Even for the low price it wasn't worth it.

IROC it

Well, I'll be darned.

Another Master's Inn fan.

I thought I was the only one on these boards.

Incredibly cheap. Clean, no frills rooms.

EXCELLENT LOCATION. 3 minutes from parking lot to Animal Kingdom. No kidding. Look at the map of Master's Inn Maingate, and follow the road across 192. It's the back way that all the buses go to Animal Kingdom and the rest of the parks.

Yep... Sherbeth Rd. I believe? It's called Entry Point Blvd. on the motel side of 192...

Just spent 4 days there for about $180 after tax. Not bad at all...

I especially like the key card holder... it's a nice touch.

Flounder_de

Does anyone know when those "crappy but clean" room rates for Feb/Mar 2008 will be available? At leat the website of Motel 6 has no offers by now ... thx!

Cheers,
Flounder

lewisc

The older properties on 192 are hit or miss. Some posters relate a good experience but others have a bad experience (dirty room) in the same property. Properties like Days Inn, Knights Inn, Masters even HoJo are inconsistent. Face it older properties can either spend the $$$ to renovate or slash prices.

A discounted rate at a value resort isn't going to be that much more. I can understand booking offsite to get more for your money. You can get a larger unit, one that sleeps more then 4, has a refrig and maybe even some kind of breakfast for less then a Disney moderate and not much more then a discounted value.

jkrupp

I think Motel 6 is a good bet. I am always looking for the best hotel deal and have recently found a great new site that makes it very easy and quick...

Hotel Price Finder
www.hotelpricefinder.com

It searches over 28 different hotel sites (including HotelClub and AsiaRooms) in one go and then lists them in order of price. You can then click through to book with the hotel site direct.
Hope you find it useful too.

AEfx

Original Poster
So how were your experiences with the Motel 6 Gate West?

Thanks!

Cheers,
Flounder

It worked out great for what I needed. It was clean, but very basic (three ice machines, but they are all in the office, etc.). Didn't have a single problem, though. I wouldn't send a family on their once-in-a-lifetime trip there (the rooms are about as small as they get, and while it wasn't dirty at all there was a bit of cosmetic stuff that could use improvement), but for a basic stay it was just what I needed.

I liked the location as well. If you look at it on a AAA map, you can see that it's literally about one minute from Disney property. It was closer to the parks than some of the on-site resorts, especially MGM - it took me less than 5 minutes to get there.

Hope this helps!

AEfx

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom