News Announced: Mary Poppins Attraction in UK Pavilion

Pixieish

Very true. The decreased time (and, therefore, cost) combined with the fact that sequels of popular movies are just about guaranteed to have a solid turnout, it's hard to fault Pixar for creating so many sequels. However, it seems that Pixar is starting to move away from the sequel game, at least for the near future. Other than The Incredibles 2 and Toy Story 4, all of the Pixar movies set to come out in the next 5ish years are expected to be originals, including Coco and at least 4 other films whose titles have yet to be disclosed.

Plus, they very often develop new techniques and software/algorithms for each brand new film...Moana is just an example with her hair, the sea, and Maui's tattoos.

MerlinTheGoat

Ummm...sorry, but I think you're scrambling up the sequence of events. Elinor eats the cake, says it tastes "gamey", and puts it down. Merida takes her upstairs because she is "out of sorts" and belching. The part you're thinking of is where she actually turns into a bear, and that had to be overblown so as to make viewers' attention shift between the two characters - otherwise Merida would have been the sole focus.
No, Elinor is visibly very sick and seems poisoned (gagging even). She even falls off the bed and appears to pass out and Merida STILL doesn't show any concern and snaps with "well i'll just go and say the wedding is canceled". And when she sees her mother has turned into a bear, she doesn't even really care. She's just "aw man, that witch was having a laugh, don't blame me it's not my fault".

Pixieish

No, Elinor is visibly very sick and seems poisoned (gagging even). She even falls off the bed and appears to pass out and Merida STILL doesn't show any concern and snaps with "well i'll just go and say the wedding is canceled". And when she sees her mother has turned into a bear, she doesn't even really care. She's just "aw man, that witch was having a laugh, don't blame me it's not my fault".

Okay - sorry...I got the end wrong (it's been a while). But seriously...poisoned?!? She gave her a cake, and up until Elinor rolls out of bed, that's basically how I react any time something doesn't agree with my stomach or I get gassy. She DID show concern the second her mother rolled out of bed. And the deflection - that's pretty basic teenaged stuff.

MerlinTheGoat

I've never seen anyone react that violently to simply being "gassy" (especially falling out of bed and passing out), she appears to be violently ill.

It wasn't that long ago that I was a teen myself (i'm 28), and I often clashed with my mom (who raised me) and still do at times. I happen to fully agree with Merida's opposition to a forced marriage and she has every right to adamantly refuse her mother's demands in this case.

But callous disregard of the suffering of her mom in this scene (caused by Merida) is NOT normal or healthy behavior from a teen. Regardless of the disagreement between the mother and child, you STOP thinking about yourself in that moment and snap your full attention into helping. If you reacted like this towards YOUR mom during a health crisis as a teen for any reason (or if you have teens who act like this towards you during your own medical emergency), I can assure you it wouldn't be considered "natural and perfect teen behavior" by most people, it's twisted and wrong.

Last edited:

Pixieish

It wasn't that long ago that I was a teen myself (i'm 28), and I often clashed with my mom (who raised me) and still do at times. I happen to fully agree with Merida's opposition to a forced marriage and she has every right to adamantly refuse her mother's demands in this case.

But her callous disregard of the suffering of her mom in this scene (caused by Merida) is NOT a normal reaction or healthy behavior from a teen. Regardless of the disagreement between the mother and child, you STOP thinking about yourself in that moment and snap your full attention into helping the sick parent. If you acted like this towards YOUR mom during a health crisis as a teen for any reason (or if you have teens who act like this towards you during your own medical emergency), It's not "natural teen behavior" by any stretch, it's twisted.

No - the shifting of blame to the witch...redirection...THAT is normal. Kids do that even before they're teenagers. And sorry...I think you're stretching her upset stomach into something it was not. Like I said before, as soon as Elinor rolls off the bed, Merida shows concern.

MerlinTheGoat

No - the shifting of blame to the witch...redirection...THAT is normal. Kids do that even before they're teenagers. And sorry...I think you're stretching her upset stomach into something it was not. Like I said before, as soon as Elinor rolls off the bed, Merida shows concern.
Her first reaction after Elinor falls off the bed is "so i'll just go ahead and call off the wedding". She shows a moment of confusion as to what has happened afterwards which I suppose is concern that she may have seriously harmed her mom, but it quickly changes back to anger after realizing the bear is her mom (which is itself causing serious harm).

This sort of behavior from a teen is normal and healthy in many other circumstances (such as the scenes preceding this), but not in the case of a health crisis or far more pressing and life-altering event.

EDIT- I forgot the thread i'm in and probably shouldn't have derailed it with this.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Why though? The little kids can go to Legoland. Or Disney can build a kiddie park.

It's bad enough the MK has been destroyed for that locust plague of the stroller brigade. Please not the other parks too!

Agreed. I went last weekend to WDW and seriously started to wonder if there's some kind of vacation package deal from hospitals for newborn delivery....baby is born, next stop, Disney :rolleyes:

I often hear from new parents about whether they should buy nice gifts when their kid turns 1 year old because they are too young to remember/appreciate it...so WHY go to Disney?

britain

I've never seen anyone react that violently to simply being "gassy" (especially falling out of bed and passing out), she appears to be violently ill.

But callous disregard of the suffering of her mom in this scene (caused by Merida) is NOT normal or healthy behavior from a teen. Regardless of the disagreement between the mother and child, you STOP thinking about yourself in that moment and snap your full attention into helping. If you reacted like this towards YOUR mom during a health crisis as a teen for any reason (or if you have teens who act like this towards you during your own medical emergency), I can assure you it wouldn't be considered "natural and perfect teen behavior" by most people, it's twisted and wrong.

I'll grant that in real life, just about anyone, even the most surly teenager, would show immediate concern if they saw their mother keel over.

But this is a comic scene in a movie - it's like a perfect George Costanza moment.

(And it's not much different than Woody trying to knock off Buzz.)

Princess Leia

Okay - sorry...I got the end wrong (it's been a while). But seriously...poisoned?!? She gave her a cake, and up until Elinor rolls out of bed, that's basically how I react any time something doesn't agree with my stomach or I get gassy. She DID show concern the second her mother rolled out of bed. And the deflection - that's pretty basic teenaged stuff.
I mean this in the friendliest way possible, but instead of replying to individual posts separately, you can ‘quote’ them in one post. Just hit the ‘+Quote’ button that’s in between ‘Like’ and ‘Reply’, and then when you’re ready to respond, you should see an ‘insert quotes’ button at the bottom of the page :)

matt9112

Agreed. I went last weekend to WDW and seriously started to wonder if there's some kind of vacation package deal from hospitals for newborn delivery....baby is born, next stop, Disney :rolleyes:

I often hear from new parents about whether they should buy nice gifts when their kid turns 1 year old because they are too young to remember/appreciate it...so WHY go to Disney?

photos the parents want to sit around a coffee table in 20 years and tell you all about how that's the time you went to Disney that had no bearing on your life what so ever. :)

Pixieish

I mean this in the friendliest way possible, but instead of replying to individual posts separately, you can ‘quote’ them in one post. Just hit the ‘+Quote’ button that’s in between ‘Like’ and ‘Reply’, and then when you’re ready to respond, you should see an ‘insert quotes’ button at the bottom of the page :)

HAHAHA...thanks! I know...I "talk" a lot. ;)

Bocabear

or build all new system that looks better.
I have said it a million times...they really need to purpose build an all new Peter Pan show building, double tracked the way Toad was...so the ride tracks could actually share the different show rooms...the way Toad did in the town square setting. For what is arguably the most popular ride in the Magic Kingdom. they should do something really spectacular with it, and include a Neverland play area and proper Tink meet and greet at the exit...bye bye Circus tents, Hello Neverland...Pirate ship and all! Now THAT would be a fitting addition for the 50th!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom