An interesting read on DLP

jrriddle

Enjoy what?

This is horrible news.
I can't believe a Disney Park could potentially close down.
I don't see it happening considering all the renovations, construction in Disney Village and the new hotels going up.
I'm sure Eisner and the Sheik will come through.
DLP (IMHO) is the second most beautiful park (1st is Disney Seas) and THE most beautiful Magic Kingdom.

speck76

Original Poster
I have never been to DLP, although in pictures it looks great.

I am suprised Disney is allowing hotels to build on site, unless they need the land lease money to keep the park afloat.

I hope I can go before it is too late

jrriddle

You have to go!
The level of detail is incredible.
The thought that they put into this park is amazing.
It could be the perfect Magic Kingdom.
The studios are a complete waste of time. I'm not sure why they put them up so soon. They had time before the agreement they have with the French Government (to build more parks) kicked in.

cherrynegra

My oh my oh my. What are they going to do. Notice how they keep saying that the DLP financial backers would like the loans to be absovled somehow so they can start fresh. Here's a tip. Set some of those hotels aflame and then use the insurance money to pay off debts.:lol:

speck76

Original Poster
DLP mysteriously had 3 hotels burn down to the ground tonight. Nobody knows the cause of the fire, but a strong cologne smell still permiates the air.:lol:

DarkMeasures

Disney is worth about 66 billion. I would say pay off a couple loans to help the park from its doom and don't have the park owe the money paid off... or whatever it's called...

But leeching is bad... especially for the other parks...

DarkMeasures

I don't care....

Where's Bill Gates when you need him?

You know what we need... a time machine... to go back to when Krispy Kreme went public and buy lots of Krispy Kreme stock...

Al

This is really bad...everyone go visit DLP! :lol:

It would be a shame if it did close, I visited in January and had a great time :D

Gurgi

hey peeps.

Not sure where u got the information on the fact that 3 DLP resorts have burned to the ground... check out www.dlp-guide.com they usualy have the latest news on dlp and nothing has been mentioned.

A couple of years ago the had a small fire at the sequioa but that has been sorted out.

With regards to the theme park being the most beautiful after Disneysea....I totally disagree....yes the rides a lot more up to date. the idea of it is def much more beautiful ....however....

the truth is that the park is not taken care of at all. Ive got some cat member friends that took me bkstage...yess im not a cm and i was allover bstage! security is pretty bad! The costuming trailers would make you cry if ur a die hard fan.

As much as I love diversity and culture and knwing many people from diff backgrounds, in DLP 85 % of cats members are rude college students from Italy, SPain, France and ENgland who dont give a whoopi about DISNEY tradition. They just want the name on their resume. The level of rudeness is incredible. The CMrs i know are trying to keep the Disey Dream alive by being as positive as they can but they are only a select few. Theres a lot of imbalance and you can tell. ....unfortunately......

The studios was a very poor excuse for a park opening.

Dont even get me started.

The entrance courtyard is absolutely beautiful and exciting but the moment you enter the park you will be in shock at how basic and cheap it really is. Think Bill Board signs representing the front of the ride which is inside a huge wherehouse type building.

The pArtners staue is actually situated in this park?????? In the most horrible place....Its like they just dropped it there cause they had to put it somewhere! Theres a show called Animagique....OMG what a waste of time. My mouth was open through the entire show in shock of how bad it was. I wont even go into details.. Again CM take their fortunate positions as cMrs and slap it across the face. They dont really care.

It really is no wonder that the place might close. Its really sad as the park has sooo much potential! Sleeping Beautys Castle is a beautiful site to c! Many rides are very god. Some good restaurants as well. In the studios CINEMAGIQUE is the only good thing that came out of it. The Legends Statue in front of the disneyland otel is very nice aswell, but the word theme park is really visible in this place rather than a Fantasy Land! :(

Downtown disney used to be known as Festival Disney is a gigantic dissapointment. When I stay at one of the hotels I dispise having to walk through it as it really is mind boggling how such a dump can stay in Business. The Disney Store is in the early 90s style with all animation not working and with layers of dust....think DISNEY STORES :rolleyes: The Disney Gallery is barely a gallery. it used to be the post office. Looks like a wherehouse full of old and cheap merch. even the very cool WDClassic collection looks cheap in these surroundings. Very Very dissapointing.

In my opinion this wonderful Resort is turning into a cheap European holiday Trailer park! HOW SAD!!!!!!!!!

If u want some more opinions on DLP let me know.. I ll get something straight first. I do enjoy going there as its the closest to me at the moment, I have friends who work there, and I dont forget the hard work that Imagineers put into it to make it beautiful (and it there really is beauty) but if the park is not shaped up in the next couple of years regarding SERVICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and the look of the place it will rot and the luster as most of it is gone will really disappear.

Gurgi

Can I also add.......ive never been (i Will one day soon) but from pictures, feedback, and videos ...Tokyo Disney Resort should set the standard in service and appeareance for every single one of the theme parks!! I trully think they are the most magical! They belive in the disney philosophy and message!

jrriddle

I have not been to DLP since '96. I guess that's what I'll think about when I think about DLP (this was before the studios were opened). With that picture in my mind I still think DLP (sans studios) is the 2nd most beautiful Disney park (TDS being #1), and the most beautiful Magic Kingdom.
I have also heard about the palce falling apart, but aren't there major rehabs going on right now? I've read about Discoverylands rehab. Plus other fixes.
And the "new" rides coming. The Spacemountain Supernova redo (sounds great but I would hate to see the Verne theme slowly leaving Discoveryland).
And the Jim Hill rumour of WRE coming to Frontierland.
I think if they can settle things with the banks (8 days left). They can focus on bringing DLP back to the park I remember in the 90's.
BTW, never had a problem with CMs, they were not up to WDW standards, but they didn't seem any worse than California's.

Gurgi

Hey J....

I c your point 100% My partner went from the day of the opening in 92 I think and they felt that it was great back then. The Disney Tradition was alive.

Lately though i think its worsen. I would say in the last 4-5 years. :(

jrriddle

Originally posted by Gurgi
Lately though i think its worsen. I would say in the last 4-5 years. :(

I hope they can turn things around. They just have to figure out the financial situation first.

stagestar

Disney Village, as Festival Disney is now known, certainly is a sore eyesore since 1992 - too bad Michael Eisner himself voted out the concept of having a small fisherman's village as themeing for the entertainment complex and forced this thing through...

But let me set one point straight: the current Disney Gallery was never a postal office. It was the tourism office of the region. The postal office was placed in what is now the extension of the Disney Store.

While they are trying to improve the Disney Village slowly e.g. with the retheming of the old Rock'n'Roll America to King Ludwig's Castle this still leaves the main architecture so far unchanged - including the terrible temporary stage structure in the middle of the Village which is not so temporary. Also the whole thing lacks a coherent theme in the meantime. When it opened in 1992 it was supposed ot be an "American Style" area, which was at least a lame excuse for the look of it. But now with themeing creeping in, e.g. for Rainforest Cafe or King Ludwig's Castle, it is just a strange mixture...

The upkeep of the parks has improved over the last years, but certain areas will never return to their 1992 state, if only because the original can't be maintained at all and should have never been build. Since two year there is constant repainting and refurbishing of the Main Street buildings, but due to their incredible amount of detail, once work has finished at one end, they have to restart at the other end, as the small details do age too fast with the necessary bright colors in the weather conditions of Paris. Also Imagineering spend money on details that can't be afforded nowadays anymore by DLRP, e.g. the lamps around Town Square did not have white glass covers, but covers made out of very thin, translucent, easily breaking PORCELAIN! Problem: they are not produced anymore, so if one brakes DLRP would have to order a single one to produced by a porcelain manufacture at high price, so they have to replace it with glas ones.

While CMs are not up to the standards of US-Disney-resorts there are quiet a few which are goting the extra length for guests. And even the bad ones easily top the "CMs" found at non-Disney-parks in Europe, where as a guest I regularly feel as I have to beg to get served.

About the future of the resort at the end of May? I think it is safe to say that the resort won't close. Not only for the high stake the French state has in it (through several state-owned banks) but also because TWDC would have to stand in for some of hundreds of millions of credit lines faltering, which would have a negative impact on any credits TWDC might look for for future projects. Not ot mention the huge damage to the image of Disney in Europe.

Right now there seem to be two lines of thought: either the company is saved (by lending banks, TWDC and other sources pumpin new money in and maybe foregoing rights for repayment on some of the old loanes) or the company is sent into bancrupcy to clean the slate, with the operation being handed over to a new company right away honoring reservations / tickets etc. bought from / made with the prior company, thus creating no difference for the guests. In the latter case all the fans who invested in the company would loose all the money, but this for sure is of no concern for Michael Eisner.

Yours
Dirk

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom