Allowing all guests staying at Bay Lake Tower access to the Top Of The World lounge

GoofGoof

Premium Member
There is no reason to be concerned about taking your kids to the top. If you prefer to not take them in the lounge, you can also go to the deck without going inside the lounge. I was up there in the late afternoon and it was a ghost town.
I thought it was a shame that such a nice place was so vacant... Sounds like it might only fill up during events like the fireworks for the 4th.
Thanks. That is helpful. I will probably go up there at some point for fireworks.

My kids are generally well behaved, but at 2 and 5 they can get a little wild and loud especially on vacation.

Wesleyjohn

At this point TowTL is family friendly and should be as long as kids behave. Last trip we were there, there was a dad throwing a football with his kid and his other kid was bouncing a bouncy ball off walls. VERY ANNOYING. it was hard to watch the fireworks. As a member there I like it the way it is but I wouldn't have a problem if others are there if its monitored or if there was a small fee or something. The view is great for fireworks so its a perk and I assume keep it that way

tjkraz

I will be staying at BLT next year. I am not a DVC member, but i did rent points of one. Would i be granted access?

Per the written lounge access guidelines, yes you would be eligible. The written rules essentially state that ANYONE staying on DVC points or a cash reservation booked through DVC Member Services has access to the lounge. That includes members, guests of members, renters, etc.

However, there have been multiple reports over the years of the Cast Member who controls admission asking to see a blue DVC member ID card. You would not have such a card and could be denied admission.

Unless DVC changes the admission guidelines, asking for the blue member ID is not an appropriate request and the CM is overstepping his/her boundaries. But there really isn't anyone to whom you can appeal if denied entry. You could always give it a try but be prepared to take it in stride if denied access.

We visited once and didn't feel it was a particularly noteworthy experience. They do pipe the music in so you get that. But the fireworks show itself is not framed properly from that angle and you're watching it from a mile or so away. If you have theme park tickets, better to just walk over to MK for the show, IMO.

tecowdw

Per the written lounge access guidelines, yes you would be eligible. The written rules essentially state that ANYONE staying on DVC points or a cash reservation booked through DVC Member Services has access to the lounge. That includes members, guests of members, renters, etc.

However, there have been multiple reports over the years of the Cast Member who controls admission asking to see a blue DVC member ID card. You would not have such a card and could be denied admission.

Unless DVC changes the admission guidelines, asking for the blue member ID is not an appropriate request and the CM is overstepping his/her boundaries. But there really isn't anyone to whom you can appeal if denied entry. You could always give it a try but be prepared to take it in stride if denied access.

We visited once and didn't feel it was a particularly noteworthy experience. They do pipe the music in so you get that. But the fireworks show itself is not framed properly from that angle and you're watching it from a mile or so away. If you have theme park tickets, better to just walk over to MK for the show, IMO.

Well, in theory, if you are staying at BLT on points, your KTTW card would state that your are there on DVC points anyway. To me, that should be valid enough for any on-site DVC member perk. That blue card is about useless, IMHO, expect for buying AP tickets (as the member # is required).

Ironically, the last time I stayed at OKW on my points, my KTTW card did not state DVC member but my mom's card did (she was my guest on the reservation as I'm the DVC member). Fortunately, I didn't need to present it anywhere for perks.

puntagordabob

From what I heard last time I was there...there is a real possibility of giving the scenerio I posted earlier suprisingly....

Open to DVC members staying at BLT (early priority), and later opening it up to DVC Members staying anywhere on property later in evening.

It would still be kept DVC only...as it should. If you want to go hang out up there, feel free to buy into DVC, or else rent a members points.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
There is an Internet rumor that the lounge will be open to all DVC members staying at WDW starting some time this summer. According to the rumor members staying at other resorts this summer received e-mails saying the lounge would be open on a first come first serve basis to them. I did not get the e-mail so this is second hand.

Makes sense as the place was empty when I went up there. The indoor seating area is pretty small, but I think the sign said the total capacity was near 500 so there shouldn't be an issue with filling up. The only issue I see is that you cannot get into the lobby of BLT without a room key. Once inside the poor guy in the lobby has to walk all the way to the elevator to insert his key. The elevator is not right there in the lobby. It is down the hall. I guess they could just prop the doors open around an hour before the fireworks and then have the door man just wait by the elevator and put signs pointing people to the elevator.

NewfieFan

Yep, I just saw a post on allears, it's from July 8th to Aug. 25th. I wonder why just those dates? Is that a test period, will they continue it after Aug. 25th, I wonder!?!

It also stated you have to check in at the Top of the World Lounge desk in the lobby. Was there always a desk in the lobby for this, is it something new?

disneyeater

Yep, I just saw a post on allears, it's from July 8th to Aug. 25th. I wonder why just those dates? Is that a test period, will they continue it after Aug. 25th, I wonder!?!

It also stated you have to check in at the Top of the World Lounge desk in the lobby. Was there always a desk in the lobby for this, is it something new?

You always had to check in at the desk in the lobby.

yoyoflamingo

I wish they would let BLT people make reservations. It's our first time back at BLT since April 2010, and we're bringing 10 people. We were hoping to show they the Top of the World and now we're worried about the crowds. Luckily, it seems all the posts here seem to imply there never is much of a crowd. I just am a little bummed they decided to do this.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I wish they would let BLT people make reservations. It's our first time back at BLT since April 2010, and we're bringing 10 people. We were hoping to show they the Top of the World and now we're worried about the crowds. Luckily, it seems all the posts here seem to imply there never is much of a crowd. I just am a little bummed they decided to do this.

The timing is bad for you. The lounge was sold to us as part or the BLT experience, but maybe they need more people to keep it open. No telling how many people will actually come from another resort to see it. If you are at the MK already in my opinion the best place to see the fireworks is right on main street. People would have to take a bus to MK and then walk to BLT to get there. It may not dramatically increase the crowds. Maybe some people who are going to be there in the next few weeks when this starts will post and let us know how the crowds were.

tjkraz

This may be the last ditch effort to get the Lounge to some level of profitability.

BLT owners/guests have had almost 3 years to show their support for the lounge and it just isn't working. Crowds are thin most of the time. The typical visitor arrives a few minutes before fireworks...doesn't order any food or beverage...and then leaves right after fireworks end.

Those expecting to be able to walk in a few minutes before fireworks and get a table may be disappointed. But fact is if Disney can't increase business and somehow justify keeping the lounge exclusive to DVC, they will simply end the perk and use it for private functions.

toolsnspools

So was anyone up there for the Independence Day Fireworks? I'm looking into a trip next year at this time, and I'm wondering how crowded it was.

glennatwell1

Everywhere at Disney with the exception of Victoria and Alberts welcomes and caters to Children. This includes California Grill and Narcoossees. My children have been going to all restaurants and more recently top of the world without problem and have been welcomed by cast members everywhere. My oldest started going at 4 (he is 8 now), and my youngest leaves for his 4th trip next week and he is 2 and a half. They know how to behave but also will occasionally act their age. We expose them at a young age and frequently so they know how to act. But do not be fooled these places all welcome children, even if some guests don't. Whether people who do not enjoy being around children should really believe Disney is for them is a different thread entirely.

kbmum

I stayed at BLT on points from July 2 to 11 and spent some time talking with CMs in the lobby, elevator and lounge. Most nights, there are between 30 and 125 people in the lounge, generally for the fireworks. On July 8, the first night they allowed non-BLT DVC members in the lounge, there were 236 when I went around 9:45 to take pictures of Wishes. The following night, my family came with me and we had a hard time finding a table.

The staff seemed hopeful that this experiment will work. I think they're afraid the lounge will close and they'll lose their jobs. While this change seems necessary to keep the lounge open, I wasn't too happy when I asked if access would be restricted to only those staying at BLT on the busy nights, like July 4 and New Year's Eve. The CM didn't really give me an answer, but the look on his face said there would be no such restrictions.

I did notice a big change on the observation deck. I went to the lounge in July 2009 and had no problem seeing over the wall (I'm 5 feet tall). This year, though, I had trouble seeing over it because it had been built up about 7 or 8 inches with a triangle-shaped addition. I asked our waiter and was told this was done because parents were sitting their kids on the wall! The waiter said the point on the triangle makes it uncomfortable for a child (or anyone) to sit. I don't care if a parent has an arm around the child -- the lounge is 15 stories up. Talk about stupidity.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom