All things Knotts Berry Farm

Consumer

I mean Disneyland is literally children's play areas and fairytales brought to life. Why not bring more adult concepts to life in a theme park?
My argument is that sex, gore, profanity, drugs, etc. are not adult but rather a child's perception of being adult.
There's nothing here taking Halloween away from the children. That's like saying R rated movies take movies away from families.

I was at the event all night and I didn't even see these leather clad people. So it isn't a sexualized event.

I'm not super into horror or horror films or even Halloween, but as a fan of themed entertainment this event was top notch, and all original concepts too.
You think Knotts was performing REAL sexual acts on stage? Or that they are naked on stage?

Again I didn't see it, but the "sexual" things on this stage show would be as fake as the "violence" in a themepark show.

Anyone taking a shower is experiencing nudity in their daily lives. Lets hope no one is experiencing or recreating violence in their daily lives. I don't think people need to be raised watching tons of nudity in film but again violence isn't something to be taken lightly. I'd also argue a lot of sexual acts and nudity done in film and TV is definitely of the cartoonish variety and not realistic.
Last time, my complaint isn't against Knott's or The Hanging, it's a general complaint about the immaturity of adults.

Phroobar

Original Poster
Glad you got to see the preshow before for Grimoire.

The camp snoopy zombies sounds great, why would it be impossible to do now?
Too many people and it would have be ADA compliant and it was huge amount of land that was cut off from the rest of the park. There is no way someone in a scooter could navigate the course we did. Lots of stairs and across the barrel bridge multiple times.

CaptinEO

My argument is that sex, gore, profanity, drugs, etc. are not adult but rather a child's perception of being adult.

Last time, my complaint isn't against Knott's or The Hanging, it's a general complaint about the immaturity of adults.
I guess I will have to disagree . Adults wanting to enjoy teenager targeted things to me is no different than adults wanting to enjoy things for children.

Also I have a lot of friends who are into horror movies and for them the things you are talking about are embraced as being corny, not as being "cool" and adult. The gore and sex in most horror films are likely bait to get teenagers to go see them.

PiratesMansion

Given that you are a childless adult, the argument could be made that going to Disneyland and liking it regularly enough to post on a dedicated message board is an indication that you would also be considered an immature adult by your own metrics. After all, Disneyland is something generally advertised as a place for people under 10 and largely viewed that way by a large segment of adult society. So arguably that's WORSE than adults going to an event targeted towards adults.

And in this situation, I don't feel you get to claim it's different for you because it's Disneyland. Why should we grant you nuance in this situation if you aren't allowing any of others in return?

Last edited:

Consumer

Given that you are a childless adult, the argument could be made that going to Disneyland and liking it regularly enough to post on a dedicated message board be an indication that you would also be considered an immature adult by your own metrics. After all, Disneyland is something generally advertised as a place for people under 10 and largely viewed that way by a large segment of adult society. So arguably that's WORSE than adults going to an event targeted towards adults.

And in this situation, I don't feel you get to claim it's different for you because it's Disneyland. Why should we grant you nuance in this situation if you aren't allowing any of others in return?
I don't think you understand anything I've said and I really don't feel like this is a profitable use of time so I'm done replying.

"Adult" content that glorifies sex, gore, drugs, etc. is a child's perception of adulthood. Mature adults are those that enjoy material that is good, true, and beautiful. Fairy tales, for instance, are often perceived to be for children but they are more mature in content than a slasher flick. I have far more respect for an adult who enjoys Sleeping Beauty than one who enjoys Cannibal Holocaust.

General speaking, dismissing children's content as "being for children" is how a child who wishes to be perceived as mature behaves. Imagine the middle school boy who hates Disneyland because "it's for children" but loves Halloween Horror Nights because "it's for adults." That is the perspective I'm addressing here.

Does that mean true adult content is void of violence or sexual content? No, but it does not glorify that material. Saving Private Ryan, for instance, is full of violence but it does not glorify the violence displayed at Normandy, it shows the horror of war. Compare that with a movie like Saw, which relishes in the torture and prides itself on depicting evil. One of those is for adults, the other is for "adults."

If y'all can't distinguish the difference, that's fine, but I'm done with the conversation.

Emmanuel

To my understanding, it took up the ENTIRE land and only allowed one way traffic throughout the entire area. Fun concept, absolutely awful for logistics.

Not to mention when it was at Camp Snoopy it required a return time which involved getting a card. Luckily I did the boo-fet in the 2 years it was in Camp Snoopy so I was able to do it.

All of that resulted in Spec Ops relocating to behind Mystery Lodge in 2016 where they can ditch the return times and have people wait in a normal line.

CaptinEO

I don't think you understand anything I've said and I really don't feel like this is a profitable use of time so I'm done replying.

"Adult" content that glorifies sex, gore, drugs, etc. is a child's perception of adulthood. Mature adults are those that enjoy material that is good, true, and beautiful. Fairy tales, for instance, are often perceived to be for children but they are more mature in content than a slasher flick. I have far more respect for an adult who enjoys Sleeping Beauty than one who enjoys Cannibal Holocaust.

General speaking, dismissing children's content as "being for children" is how a child who wishes to be perceived as mature behaves. Imagine the middle school boy who hates Disneyland because "it's for children" but loves Halloween Horror Nights because "it's for adults." That is the perspective I'm addressing here.

Does that mean true adult content is void of violence or sexual content? No, but it does not glorify that material. Saving Private Ryan, for instance, is full of violence but it does not glorify the violence displayed at Normandy, it shows the horror of war. Compare that with a movie like Saw, which relishes in the torture and prides itself on depicting evil. One of those is for adults, the other is for "adults."

If y'all can't distinguish the difference, that's fine, but I'm done with the conversation.
I think besides teens and kids no one views slasher/horror films as "adult" and "mature". It's more like junkfood for the mind, which is completely fine IMO.

You can have something be dumb and entertaining without it needing to be "beautiful art".

And preteens and teens need their entertainment too. I think most people had a phase in their teens where they tried to shun childish things and embrace "mature" themes.

There is also nothing wrong with someone wanting to do Horror Nights instead of Disneyland.

People should be true to themselves at the end of the day.

I'm not even a horror person at all but Scary Farm blew me away. Knotts did such a great job with the theming and storytelling. Tony Baxter was even seen by people there on opening night (same night I went). If Tony is there you know it's good and his attractions are as far removed from horror as anything can possibly be.

Last edited:

BuddyThomas

Based replies.

Peak Halloween is bonfires, caramel apples, falling leaves, jack-o-lanterns, and homemade costumes. All of this "adult" content ruins Halloween. There's no need for gratuitous violence and gore, there's no need for sexualized costumes, there's no need for drinking or drugs, yet all of these things have stupidly become associated with Halloween. It's ironic we consider these activities "adult" when they are the greatest sign of immaturity. These are the things teenagers find enjoyment in, not adults.

I adore the quote by C.S. Lewis "When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." The people who enjoy these "adult" themes of Halloween are very much just children who want to be treated like grown ups yet are incapable of acting as true adults.

Let Halloween be for children. If somebody is a mature adult, they will find enjoyment in the same things that children do.
This comment is absolutely ridiculous. Stay home and watch Charlie Brown. You’ll be fine.

Dear Prudence

The sign outside the theater for the show in question makes it VERY clear who should and should not go to see the show. Heck, the show is even subtitled Uncancelled! Anyone who complains that they didn't know what to expect is ENTIRELY at fault here. The sign that everyone must pass outside the closed-off theater says (and those who wish to can certainly find a picture of the actual sign out there, as I have. If a word is bolded, I have replaced naughty words):

WARNING!

Do not enter if you are easily offended!
Seriously, this show is not for you.

The Hanging is filthy, dirty, depraved, and, oh, I don't know how else to put it, not for the faint of heart!

If you like to complain, write letters to the manager or score internet points for being upset-do us a favor and go away.

Once you pass through these gates, you're not allowed to complain about anything.

Give up your seat to someone who has a sense of humor and will enjoy all the hard work it took to get this show back.

Thank you,

The cast and crew of The Hanging.

Basically, be an adult and accept responsibility for your actions. If you don't want to see a show, don't see it. If you don't want children to see it, don't bring children to the event that is not intended for them! Bring them instead to the family-friendly Halloween event that happens during the normal operating day and therefore doesn't cost extra! It's that easy!
IDK why anyone would think a mock execution basically played for laughs would be targeted towards a kid audience? Especially since it makes it very clear that it isn't?

Disney Analyst

Just want to note, the show they are whining about on Social Media isn't even The Hanging, this is a show inside the theatre, where Elvira once was. It's housed risqué, burlesque style shows many times before.

They aren't whining about the violent "Hanging" show, or the violent, murder filled mazes. Nope. Just the burlesque style show, because it embraces burlesque culture, has hints of drag, LGBT culture, and is provocative.

smooch

Based replies.

Peak Halloween is bonfires, caramel apples, falling leaves, jack-o-lanterns, and homemade costumes. All of this "adult" content ruins Halloween. There's no need for gratuitous violence and gore, there's no need for sexualized costumes, there's no need for drinking or drugs, yet all of these things have stupidly become associated with Halloween. It's ironic we consider these activities "adult" when they are the greatest sign of immaturity. These are the things teenagers find enjoyment in, not adults.

I adore the quote by C.S. Lewis "When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." The people who enjoy these "adult" themes of Halloween are very much just children who want to be treated like grown ups yet are incapable of acting as true adults.

Let Halloween be for children. If somebody is a mature adult, they will find enjoyment in the same things that children do.
You're entitled to have Halloween the way you want to, but there's no need to be condescending and judgmental to those who celebrate differently. I'd argue your inability to allow others to celebrate and enjoy the holiday the way they choose to without judging the very core of their character is a greater sign of immaturity than those partaking in "adult activities" to celebrate Halloween. Halloween is for children. It's also for adults, teenagers, it's for everyone to celebrate the way they choose to.

I'm 24 years old and live with other people my age, we will watch the leaves fall and carve pumpkins and are making our own costumes. We will also have a party and I'm sure there will be sexualized costumes because this is a party not intended for children. I'm not going to celebrate Halloween the way a family would with their children, because that's not my life.

I could care less that you prefer the innocent family side of Halloween vs. the more adult side (a side that is extremely normal and common in our country / culture), but I do care when you try to put yourself on a pedestal and act holier than thou for talking down on people who celebrate Halloween differently from you. Especially when it boils down to you judging people for having alcohol on a holiday.

You can complain about the general culture of Halloween without calling those who celebrate differently immature and childish and "just grown ups acting like kids."

CaptinEO

You're entitled to have Halloween the way you want to, but there's no need to be condescending and judgmental to those who celebrate differently. I'd argue your inability to allow others to celebrate and enjoy the holiday the way they choose to without judging the very core of their character is a greater sign of immaturity than those partaking in "adult activities" to celebrate Halloween. Halloween is for children. It's also for adults, teenagers, it's for everyone to celebrate the way they choose to.

I'm 24 years old and live with other people my age, we will watch the leaves fall and carve pumpkins and are making our own costumes. We will also have a party and I'm sure there will be sexualized costumes because this is a party not intended for children. I'm not going to celebrate Halloween the way a family would with their children, because that's not my life.

I could care less that you prefer the innocent family side of Halloween vs. the more adult side (a side that is extremely normal and common in our country / culture), but I do care when you try to put yourself on a pedestal and act holier than thou for talking down on people who celebrate Halloween differently from you. Especially when it boils down to you judging people for having alcohol or drugs on a holiday.

You can complain about the general culture of Halloween without calling those who celebrate differently immature and childish and "just grown ups acting like kids."
Very well said!

Phroobar

Original Poster
I had a great time at Music, Monsters and Mayhem. It was a better show than Puppet Up since it had to do with 50th anniversary. I hope they have different jokes at each show instead of the hand job jokes they were doing the last time I saw it. The Elvira dance scenes in hell where extremely well done and the waterfall curtain made it amazing.

smooch

That's fair. Burlesque is gross, drag or otherwise.

View attachment 745314
All your responses boil down to "I don't like it, nobody else should!" and using memes calling other people cringe or losers or whatever else when you don't have a proper rebuttal. Genuinely, if you want to argue your point of view you can give proper reasoning and explain your thoughts and why you hold them. Feel free to call me cringe for rightfully calling you out for being judgmental and calling others others immature for... checks notes.... doing adult activities????? And living their lives in a way that doesn't harm others, and aren't trying to control how others have to live their lives???

Hmm, who's immature, the one properly explaining their points and trying to be respectful, or the person who acts like a mix between a toddler and a bully when they're challenged?

CaptinEO

All your responses boil down to "I don't like it, nobody else should!" and using memes calling other people cringe or losers or whatever else when you don't have a proper rebuttal. Genuinely, if you want to argue your point of view you can give proper reasoning and explain your thoughts and why you hold them. Feel free to call me cringe for rightfully calling you out for being judgmental and calling others others immature for... checks notes.... doing adult activities????? And living their lives in a way that doesn't harm others, and aren't trying to control how others have to live their lives???

Hmm, who's immature, the one properly explaining their points and trying to be respectful, or the person who acts like a mix between a toddler and a bully when they're challenged?
It's always disheartening when someone on a discussion board doesn't even want to discuss a topic. That's more for Twitter echo chamber crowd if you only want your one opinion to be unchallenged.

Prince-1

Based replies.

If that logic works for you then great but don't try and speak for everyone. People enjoy the holiday in different ways and there is not an age limit on celebrating them. Thinking otherwise is pretty sad.

Consumer

Brother, you care significantly more than I do.

People who are confident in their pleasures don't get this defensive as those here challenging me. I'm not stopping anyone from doing whatever they want, I just think these things are dumb.

The Mom

Premium Member
If people cannot discuss a topic without insulting other posters, or branching into discussions not allowed on this forum, then please do not post.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom