All things Knotts Berry Farm

BuddyThomas

Went to Knott’s Scary Farm Sunday night with the front of line pass. What an amazing event. Unlike front of line at Universal where you still wait a lonnnnnnnng time, these front of line passes actually work and we never waited more than 5 minutes for anything. Most of the staff were more friendly than at Disney. The houses were incredible and the scare zones were awesome too. This is one of the best haunted events I’ve e er been to and I’ve been to most of them. This was definitely the highlight of our trip.

Phroobar

Original Poster
I was referring to Prop Shop Pizza close to the bumper cars. The Seating area there is pretty big and surrounded by a fence so you could be further to the back. I had Spookghetti Pie (spaghetti baked in alfredo sauce and topped with mozzarella, sausage, and bacon bits served over Bolognese sauce) was tasty and filling. As for where you were there is not a lot of depth to get away from the pathway.
View attachment 745026

Hopefully they spread out more as time goes on. Also They have two shows they are trying to do lowkey no posted times but on the associates only list a slider show opening night was to be at 10:30pm. I asked a manager that night and he said due to lighting issue it would not happen that night but look for it in the future. Its to be in the side closer to Fiesta Village due to the area being more open. Also they had a walk with the Queen from Fiesta to the bathrooms while harassing the prisoner and unaliving him at the end. This area reminds me of a Rennaissance Faire the Monsters represent a character from Peasants to Royal Court and they all play their part.
You mean in Camp Snoopy. The Gauntlet. I've never been over there in time for the scare zone show. I know where the throne is. Do you know and additional times? I'll be there again this thursday.

PiratesMansion

Thanks! It was really inspiring and I loved how it was original stories not tied to a movie.

I did see the necklace for sale (no one wearing it though so didn’t see how bright it was). Do you think it’s effective? It may be worthwhile if so just to have the ability to stop scares when I need a break. I just can’t imagine the monsters being able to see it in the dark/fog, unless it’s super bright. If that works though it will help me enjoy the park more.

Origins was so good. I really like how there is even actors as you wait for the maze that add to the atmosphere/backstory of the whole thing. The witch at the end was a really well done set piece.

I can see why a full park scare zone can appeal to some people, after a few hours there I wanted some semblance of safety and to be able to take a breather. Not that it was a huge deal but I would’ve preferred some safe areas.

For some reason the tribute store was closed opening day from the marketplace, so I assumed it wasn’t ready. The the next day I read it was only accessible from within the park (no idea how to enter it). I don’t get why they are running it this way. But we ended up in a nice shop when we exited Beary Tales so it all worked out.

Also the park could have definitely used some signs (probably should be lighted too) that point you to where the mazes are.

That’s great it’s the best scare event. When are you planning on visiting? Does the scary farm season pass include parking?
I'm glad you loved Origins!

I've seen the No Boo mazes at other CF parks. They're bright enough to be clearly visible to anyone close by. Unless you're going down an area absolutely flooded with fog, they stand out from quite a distance.

I'm glad you had a great time! I'm going mid-October and will be going for to Scary Farm at least two days (I'll be in the area for a week, and I'll also be popping into DL-though not OBB unless tickets are miraculously available-and USH for Horror Nights).

While I can't find a straight answer on the Knott's site, it's looking like if you have a parking pass for a regular Knott's pass, it works for Scary Farm. I don't believe the Scary Farm pass includes parking by itself, though.
Got it, I see what you mean. I think the solution would be for them to keep the guns and not bother with the interactive/timed elements.

This way you can just shoot at things as you move through without it holding people up.

That's a shame you didn't see the grimoire preshow, sounds like Knotts can do better with their timing overall then. The preshow reading is essential as far as I'm concerned.
I can't speak for the maze that lost guns last year, but I did get to do Special Ops: Infected several times. It was fun, but it felt more like lazer tag than a Haunt maze to me. I know some people definitely appreciated it and felt it gave the event more variety, but ultimately I go in a Haunt maze to get scared, not to play lazer tag. The line was also slower than for other mazes, because as with any lazer tag scenario, there are only so many guns.

Haven't experenced Grimoire with or without a preshow, but the few times I did The Depths with its preshow I thought it was more trouble than it was worth. The retired Paranormal Inc. had a GREAT preshow that was totally worth it, but part of the reason it worked in that context was because people would be funneled into one of two different paths into the rest of the maze. I can understand the desire to keep people moving through the mazes as quickly as possible, so I can understand sacrificing preshows if they aren't good enough to justify their existence.
Went to Knott’s Scary Farm Sunday night with the front of line pass. What an amazing event. Unlike front of line at Universal where you still wait a lonnnnnnnng time, these front of line passes actually work and we never waited more than 5 minutes for anything. Most of the staff were more friendly than at Disney. The houses were incredible and the scare zones were awesome too. This is one of the best haunted events I’ve e er been to and I’ve been to most of them. This was definitely the highlight of our trip.
Knott's has had more friendly staff than Disney for at least the past seven years in my experience. I'm glad you had such a great time!

PiratesMansion

Oh god. The replies. The rage machine is at work again. All because Knotts Scary Farm has an adult oriented show … getting a bit silly now.

Well, a notoriously hateful Twitter account had to agitate all of her little followers because *OH NO*, there was drag in an adult show at an adult event (all advertised explicitly as such), so naturally there's been a reaction today.

This is why basically nobody has these shows anymore. Because we are incapable of understanding that Halloween is a SCARY holiday that skews more adult than other holidays. Not sure when/why people decided Halloween was just Christmas with different colors and pumpkins.

There's a GIANT sign outside the theater explaining EXACTLY what to expect, and says that if you would be offended to NOT watch the show. They also charge for EVERYONE-even handheld infants-for Scary Farm, because it's NOT a family event. You're not SUPPOSED to be bringing people under 13 or so to these events, not that anyone listens, and then they take it out on the park rather than admit any personal responsibility.

But of course the loudest people are the biggest idiots, which is why everything gets dumbed down and why we can't have nice things.

Disney Analyst

Well, a notoriously hateful Twitter account had to agitate all of her little followers because *OH NO*, there was drag in an adult show at an adult event (all advertised explicitly as such), so naturally there's been a reaction today.

This is why basically nobody has these shows anymore. Because we are incapable of understanding that Halloween is a SCARY holiday that skews more adult than other holidays. Not sure when/why people decided Halloween was just Christmas with different colors and pumpkins.

There's a GIANT sign outside the theater explaining EXACTLY what to expect, and says that if you would be offended to NOT watch the show. They also charge for EVERYONE-even handheld infants-for Scary Farm, because it's NOT a family event. You're not SUPPOSED to be bringing people under 13 or so to these events, not that anyone listens, and then they take it out on the park rather than admit any personal responsibility.

But of course the loudest people are the biggest idiots, which is why everything gets dumbed down and why we can't have nice things.

They seem more outraged by the show with people dancing scantily clad, then the *checks notes* murder, gore, mayhem, and violence on display in Scare Zones or Mazes ...

It's a scary, adult event, always has been.

It is the parents job to ensure any event is appropriate for their child, and if they are comfortable bringing them, that is also something that is up to them.

People need to calm the heck down, and worry 'bout themselves.

PiratesMansion

They seem more outraged by the show with people dancing scantily clad, then the *checks notes* murder, gore, mayhem, and violence on display in Scare Zones or Mazes ...

It's a scary, adult event, always has been.

It is the parents job to ensure any event is appropriate for their child, and if they are comfortable bringing them, that is also something that is up to them.

People need to calm the heck down, and worry 'bout themselves.
So typically American, unlimited violence and gore is fine, but ANY hint of sexuality, even now at events and shows explicitly targeted towards adults, and everybody loses their minds.

I do hope things are saner up north.

BuddyThomas

I'm glad you loved Origins!

I've seen the No Boo mazes at other CF parks. They're bright enough to be clearly visible to anyone close by. Unless you're going down an area absolutely flooded with fog, they stand out from quite a distance.

I'm glad you had a great time! I'm going mid-October and will be going for to Scary Farm at least two days (I'll be in the area for a week, and I'll also be popping into DL-though not OBB unless tickets are miraculously available-and USH for Horror Nights).

While I can't find a straight answer on the Knott's site, it's looking like if you have a parking pass for a regular Knott's pass, it works for Scary Farm. I don't believe the Scary Farm pass includes parking by itself, though.

I can't speak for the maze that lost guns last year, but I did get to do Special Ops: Infected several times. It was fun, but it felt more like lazer tag than a Haunt maze to me. I know some people definitely appreciated it and felt it gave the event more variety, but ultimately I go in a Haunt maze to get scared, not to play lazer tag. The line was also slower than for other mazes, because as with any lazer tag scenario, there are only so many guns.

Haven't experenced Grimoire with or without a preshow, but the few times I did The Depths with its preshow I thought it was more trouble than it was worth. The retired Paranormal Inc. had a GREAT preshow that was totally worth it, but part of the reason it worked in that context was because people would be funneled into one of two different paths into the rest of the maze. I can understand the desire to keep people moving through the mazes as quickly as possible, so I can understand sacrificing preshows if they aren't good enough to justify their existence.

Knott's has had more friendly staff than Disney for at least the past seven years in my experience. I'm glad you had such a great time!
Thanks for suggesting it! It was so amazing!

Consumer

Oh god. The replies. The rage machine is at work again. All because Knotts Scary Farm has an adult oriented show … getting a bit silly now.

Based replies.
Peak Halloween is bonfires, caramel apples, falling leaves, jack-o-lanterns, and homemade costumes. All of this "adult" content ruins Halloween. There's no need for gratuitous violence and gore, there's no need for sexualized costumes, there's no need for drinking or drugs, yet all of these things have stupidly become associated with Halloween. It's ironic we consider these activities "adult" when they are the greatest sign of immaturity. These are the things teenagers find enjoyment in, not adults.

I adore the quote by C.S. Lewis "When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." The people who enjoy these "adult" themes of Halloween are very much just children who want to be treated like grown ups yet are incapable of acting as true adults.

Let Halloween be for children. If somebody is a mature adult, they will find enjoyment in the same things that children do.

Consumer

If one doesn’t enjoy something, no one is making them attend, spend the money, or give patronage to any specific event, activity, or place.

I don’t enjoy football, but I don’t call for it to be banned, removed, or not attended.
Yeah, let me clear, I'm not demanding Knott's close it mazes or anything, I just find them stupid for anybody who isn't between the ages of 13 and 17. I'm really just ranting about the loss of maturity in adults.
So typically American, unlimited violence and gore is fine, but ANY hint of sexuality, even now at events and shows explicitly targeted towards adults, and everybody loses their minds.

I do hope things are saner up north.
Worth noting that performing sexual acts for an audience is real whereas performing violent acts for an audience is pretend. That is a big distinction. I would have no problem letting my own children watch Temple of Doom with its ridiculous, cartoonish violence because it's fake, but I would never allow them to watch Fast Times at Ridgemont High because the nudity is real.

PiratesMansion

The sign outside the theater for the show in question makes it VERY clear who should and should not go to see the show. Heck, the show is even subtitled Uncancelled! Anyone who complains that they didn't know what to expect is ENTIRELY at fault here. The sign that everyone must pass outside the closed-off theater says (and those who wish to can certainly find a picture of the actual sign out there, as I have. If a word is bolded, I have replaced naughty words):

WARNING!

Do not enter if you are easily offended!
Seriously, this show is not for you.

The Hanging is filthy, dirty, depraved, and, oh, I don't know how else to put it, not for the faint of heart!

If you like to complain, write letters to the manager or score internet points for being upset-do us a favor and go away.

Once you pass through these gates, you're not allowed to complain about anything.

Give up your seat to someone who has a sense of humor and will enjoy all the hard work it took to get this show back.

Thank you,

The cast and crew of The Hanging.

Basically, be an adult and accept responsibility for your actions. If you don't want to see a show, don't see it. If you don't want children to see it, don't bring children to the event that is not intended for them! Bring them instead to the family-friendly Halloween event that happens during the normal operating day and therefore doesn't cost extra! It's that easy!

PiratesMansion

Yeah, let me clear, I'm not demanding Knott's close it mazes or anything, I just find them stupid for anybody who isn't between the ages of 13 and 17. I'm really just ranting about the loss of maturity in adults.

Worth noting that performing sexual acts for an audience is real whereas performing violent acts for an audience is pretend. That is a big distinction. I would have no problem letting my own children watch Temple of Doom with its ridiculous, cartoonish violence because it's fake, but I would never allow them to watch Fast Times at Ridgemont High because the nudity is real.
Not for children. Also, it's a show. EVERY act, violent or otherwise, is pretend.

Consumer

The sign outside the theater for the show in question makes it VERY clear who should and should not go to see the show. Heck, the show is even subtitled Uncancelled! Anyone who complains that they didn't know what to expect is ENTIRELY at fault here. The sign that everyone must pass outside the closed-off theater says (and those who wish to can certainly find a picture of the actual sign out there, as I have. If a word is bolded, I have replaced naughty words):
Again, my complaint isn't against The Hanging. It's dumb fun and that's fine. My complaint is about the general culture of Halloween.
Not for children. Also, it's a show. EVERY act, violent or otherwise, is pretend.
I don't want to get sidelined with this because it's not the point of this thread at all, but if somebody is naked on stage, that's not pretend (that person is really naked) whereas if somebody is shot on stage that is pretend (they are not actually shot). This seems like a pretty clear thing to understand.

And once again, I'm not complaining about The Hanging. I'm glad it's back, but I also think The Hanging is unnecessarily stupid and crass to the point where most of the jokes are not funny. Really, there's no need for the profanity or sexual jokes in the show; they're not funny and they add nothing.

Phroobar

Original Poster
If you have a Knott's annual pass with parking, you get scary farm parking free. You can upgrade to preferred (normally $50) for $15 with the higher level pass. At least that is what my sister did.

Phroobar

Original Poster
Again, my complaint isn't against The Hanging. It's dumb fun and that's fine. My complaint is about the general culture of Halloween.

I don't want to get sidelined with this because it's not the point of this thread at all, but if somebody is naked on stage, that's not pretend (that person is really naked) whereas if somebody is shot on stage that is pretend (they are not actually shot). This seems like a pretty clear thing to understand.

And once again, I'm not complaining about The Hanging. I'm glad it's back, but I also think The Hanging is unnecessarily stupid and crass to the point where most of the jokes are not funny. Really, there's no need for the profanity or sexual jokes in the show; they're not funny and they add nothing.
For years, the Elvira show had similar costumes and people didn't complain. Then we got three years of naked muppets telling dirty jokes. I guess that is why they hung the Karens.

Last edited:

CaptinEO

Based replies.

Peak Halloween is bonfires, caramel apples, falling leaves, jack-o-lanterns, and homemade costumes. All of this "adult" content ruins Halloween. There's no need for gratuitous violence and gore, there's no need for sexualized costumes, there's no need for drinking or drugs, yet all of these things have stupidly become associated with Halloween. It's ironic we consider these activities "adult" when they are the greatest sign of immaturity. These are the things teenagers find enjoyment in, not adults.

I adore the quote by C.S. Lewis "When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." The people who enjoy these "adult" themes of Halloween are very much just children who want to be treated like grown ups yet are incapable of acting as true adults.

Let Halloween be for children. If somebody is a mature adult, they will find enjoyment in the same things that children do.
I mean Disneyland is literally children's play areas and fairytales brought to life. Why not bring more adult concepts to life in a theme park?

There's nothing here taking Halloween away from the children. That's like saying R rated movies take movies away from families.

I was at the event all night and I didn't even see these leather clad people. So it isn't a sexualized event.

I'm not super into horror or horror films or even Halloween, but as a fan of themed entertainment this event was top notch, and all original concepts too.

CaptinEO

You think Knotts was performing REAL sexual acts on stage? Or that they are naked on stage?

Again I didn't see it, but the "sexual" things on this stage show would be as fake as the "violence" in a themepark show.

Anyone taking a shower is experiencing nudity in their daily lives. Lets hope no one is experiencing or recreating violence in their daily lives. I don't think people need to be raised watching tons of nudity in film but again violence isn't something to be taken lightly. I'd also argue a lot of sexual acts and nudity done in film and TV is definitely of the cartoonish variety and not realistic.

Last edited:

CaptinEO

I was referring to Prop Shop Pizza close to the bumper cars. The Seating area there is pretty big and surrounded by a fence so you could be further to the back. I had Spookghetti Pie (spaghetti baked in alfredo sauce and topped with mozzarella, sausage, and bacon bits served over Bolognese sauce) was tasty and filling. As for where you were there is not a lot of depth to get away from the pathway.
View attachment 745026

Hopefully they spread out more as time goes on. Also They have two shows they are trying to do lowkey no posted times but on the associates only list a slider show opening night was to be at 10:30pm. I asked a manager that night and he said due to lighting issue it would not happen that night but look for it in the future. Its to be in the side closer to Fiesta Village due to the area being more open. Also they had a walk with the Queen from Fiesta to the bathrooms while harassing the prisoner and unaliving him at the end. This area reminds me of a Rennaissance Faire the Monsters represent a character from Peasants to Royal Court and they all play their part.
Thank you! This looks like a much more secluded and safe area.

Since I only go to the park once every 5 or 6 years I tend to forget the layout!

CaptinEO

It would be nice if there were actual targets like Buzz Lightyear has instead of just on the monsters. I've gone enough to see the preshow. It's not a big deal. I get the idea.

The best time ever was running through camp snoopy shooting zombies. It was a workout to keep up with the group. It was a special test a few years ago that you had to sign up for in advance to do. It would be impossible to do now.
Glad you got to see the preshow before for Grimoire.

The camp snoopy zombies sounds great, why would it be impossible to do now?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom