airport security

Status
Not open for further replies.

alliemom

In light of the heightened security at the airports travelers are no longer able to carry liquids, gels or pastes in your carry on bags. This means that we are not able to carry that critical Suntan lotion and have to pack it in our checked bags. I am happy to follow these rules as it will ease my mind traveling next week but was thinking, wouldn't it be nice if Disney provided a sample size of Suntan lotion at check in for those of us using Magical Express as our checked bags will not arrive for quite some time after we get to the resort. Even if they just had a bottle on the desk at check in so that we can put some on our children so that they do not burn as we walk through the parks or lay by the pools for those first couple of hours? Just a thought,that way we wouldn't have to pay out the nose for suntan lotion at the gift shop when we all ready have it packed in out bags?

shoppingnut

I doubt there is going to be a toothpaste famine in Disney, especially now that people know to just pack those items in their luggage.

They were talking about buying other items too, like deodorant, etc. And I can tell you from an experience at WDW trying to get children's tylenol, they were completely sold out in all of WDW and didn't expect any in for some time. You have to remember that these items are "just in case" items and not regular stock that has a ton of backup in the warehouse.

Upvote 0

GrowingUpDisney

They were talking about buying other items too, like deodorant, etc. And I can tell you from an experience at WDW trying to get children's tylenol, they were completely sold out in all of WDW and didn't expect any in for some time. You have to remember that these items are "just in case" items and not regular stock that has a ton of backup in the warehouse.

I certainly don't want to start an argument, but I am alittle suprised that this entire thread was started because of sunscreen. I am a well seasoned Disney traveler and have NEVER flown to Orlando. I know that many people do, but there are probably just as many that don't fly.

With that said, I am sure that everyone will not be purchasing normal toiletry items from the resort gift shops. I can assure you that if the demand goes up in the next few days for things like suncreen, toothpaste, etc. Disney will make sure they have more on hand. I don't see giving more things away when they can just have more on hand to sell. (Remember, it's not our faults that there are bans for flights, but its not Disney's fault either). They will not lose any money if you decide to stay in your room rather than go swimming, but they will lose money if they start giving away things that they could sell. ( I know Disney has all the $$ they need, but from a business owners perspective it wouldn't be very smart)

As for medications at the gift shops - Once my son got very sick at BWV and not only did the gift shop tell me that Disney has its own (or a contract) pharmacy, but that they would go and get any medication that I needed that they did not have. I am sorry that they did not do that when you were in need.

I sincerely hope that I have not stepped on any toes.

Niki

Upvote 0

shoppingnut

IAs for medications at the gift shops - Once my son got very sick at BWV and not only did the gift shop tell me that Disney has its own (or a contract) pharmacy, but that they would go and get any medication that I needed that they did not have. I am sorry that they did not do that when you were in need.
Niki

That's really good to know for the future. Thanks.

Upvote 0

maelstrom

What is this nonsense about juice for kids? Kids can have juice but adults can't? That's ridiculous. I drink the same apple juice a three year old drinks.

I have doctor's orders to keep my lips moisturized at ALL times. That means chapstick/lipbalm. Will I need a flipping doctor's note to carry my lipbalm now.

Anything in the name of safety? Let's see how you feel when it comes down to strip searches and body cavity searches. And if you think it won't, open your eyes.

I'm done with flying for now. I'm done with being treated like a criminal by my own home country.

Upvote 0

jaylenofan86

I'd rather fly and be forced to a body cavity search than drive/ hire a charter....

Good for you! Guess what? I'll fly myself in a twin-engine prop with my pilot's license, and I'll take all the sunscreen, water, soda............pretty much whatever I want since TSA doesn't screen general aviation! :brick:

Upvote 0

Tiggerfanatic

Call me crazy, but does anyone else besides me think that maybe there is such a thing as too much knowledge, that maybe not everyone needs to know every little detail on how the terrorists were going to accomplish their plans. I know that the banning of all these items are intended to prevent copycatting, but if every Tom, Rick & Harry weren't told how you could blow up a plane with Gatorade and an I-pod, there wouldn't be any copycats. I realize we're in a catch 22 situation, they don't want to take the chance that they missed a potential threat, but sometimes I think the zero tolerance policy goes to extremes. Don't mind me, just venting and putting in my 2 cents....

Upvote 0

DVC Dave

I hope disney does do something like provide small bottles of sunscreen because otherwise no one will be in the parks or at the pool, everyone will be holdup in their rooms waiting for their luggage that contains sunscreen. The fact that you won't be out spending $$'s should hopefully push them into action.

Also, if anyone thinks that there will be any sunscreen left on the shelves at WDW, will most likely be in for a rude awakening because I seriously doubt it. It's not like they have a huge stock of that stuff in the backroom because what they carry is really for those people who may run out of what they brought or forgot to bring it, it's not like a souvenier item where they expect a higher percentage of guests to actually buy so have a huge stock of this stuff. There will always be some folks who can no longer stand the kids screaming to go to the pool/parks and blow the $10 on it and it will run out quickly.

Disney did not call for a ban on liquids and gels on planes so I do not think we should all expect them to give us some sunscreen. WDW directors were probably sitting around watching the news and scream "what do you mean they can't bring sunscreen??!!"

I think Disney is very smart and has huge buying power. If they called up their supplier and said we need A LOT of sun screen....they would get it pretty fast.

That being said my suggestion is plan on buying a bottle while in WDW. Pack a small one in case when you get there its raining or somethingthen you won't have to pay for a new one. The extra Disney expense you pay is better than not being safe in the air.

Upvote 0

Scooter

I think if I lived near the Orlando airport I would:

1) Head to the Departure area of the airport with a big plastic bag and collect non-allowed items...ie Deodorant, sunscreen etc
Then:
2) Head over to the Arrival area of the airport and SELL the items.:D

Upvote 0

swimmom

When my daughter was younger and went to a summer camp as daycare, I put sunscreen on her in the morning before I dropped her off. I used 30spf sport type that is sweatproof. I would think that if you put sunscreen on at home before you left for the airport, you should be protected especially at this time of year, when most of us have already got somewhat of a tan.

Upvote 0

Erika

I think if I lived near the Orlando airport I would:

1) Head to the Departure area of the airport with a big plastic bag and collect non-allowed items...ie Deodorant, sunscreen etc
Then:
2) Head over to the Arrival area of the airport and SELL the items.:D

:lol: How very enterprising :lol:

Just a note to everyone in general: I know it's a touchy subject, but please avoid bickering about it. We have a lot of different opinions floating around. We're not all going to agree, but show some respect.

Upvote 0

imamouse

I was in Dallas when the new policy regarding liquids went into effect, and this was my experience.

All of the airport personnel at DFW were super nice and explained the restrictions over and over to everyone in the check-in line. Based on their information, I removed my lipstick and chapstick from my purse and put them into the suitcase I was checking.

There were no lines to speak of at check-in or at security. We zipped through in a matter of minutes at each place.

Once through security, I purchased a large bottle of water to drink while I was waiting on my flight (we had followed the advice on the news and arrived 2 hours early). I finished my water and threw the bottle away before my flight was called.

There was a table set up next to the jetway door, but it was not manned and we were allowed to board without anyone looking through our carry-on luggage (which I thought was strange).

All in all - it was much ado about nothing (in Dallas anyway). But I'm glad nothing happened and do not resent the new restrictions too much. As a business traveler, I am accustomed to taking my wheeled suitcase on board with me, but I don't mind the 15 minute delay in waiting for the luggage to appear after I deplane. Safety first!

Upvote 0

jayjay

I had a bottle of water in my carry on last week, the security guy searched through my bag saw the bottle and still let me through, without saying a word. so it doesn't seem like the no liquid rule is being enforced all that well. I didn't know there was such a rule till this thread.

Or is this new because of the terror threats? Maybe thats why they let me bring in water.

This is new. In case you haven't seen the news, last week water was fine, this week, no water.

Upvote 0

jayjay

airline security

I am not sure what all of the hubbub is all about. If everyone makes their lists and packs everything in the suitcase, what is the big deal. The only thing that I am sad about is juice and water. However, I am sure the airlines will do all they can. They give you water and pop now, maybe they will add juice to the list. As far as makeup, deordorant, lotions, and gels, people should use them before they go to the airport. If you want to freshen up, do it when you get to you transportation to the hotel. I am with the other people who would do anything for safety. We are in different times than before. Never have we had terrorist issues the way we do now. People tend to think about themselves. What about the people on the 9/11 planes? I think their families would have gladly done the security if it would have saved their family members. Soap box over.

Upvote 0

cmatt

I am not sure what all of the hubbub is all about. If everyone makes their lists and packs everything in the suitcase, what is the big deal. The only thing that I am sad about is juice and water. However, I am sure the airlines will do all they can. They give you water and pop now, maybe they will add juice to the list. As far as makeup, deordorant, lotions, and gels, people should use them before they go to the airport. If you want to freshen up, do it when you get to you transportation to the hotel. I am with the other people who would do anything for safety. We are in different times than before. Never have we had terrorist issues the way we do now. People tend to think about themselves. What about the people on the 9/11 planes? I think their families would have gladly done the security if it would have saved their family members. Soap box over.

well said - overhere also if you buy a magazine or book after security you can take it on in the plastic bag things they give you when you enter the airport... its not the end of the world to be asked in general not to carry things - better then EVERY thing getting searched - you would have to get there 6 hours before everyone could be searched!

Upvote 0

SteveUK

I don't see a big problem with not carrying much on the flight. In some ways this is a good thing, I have been on flights and seen people trying to carry more than I have in my suitcase, and it invariably causes inconvenience to everybody else.

There really are not that many things you NEED on a flight, although I admit the longer the flight, the more you may want. I think the real issue is that people are used to carrying too much, and the new regulations do not necessarily represent a huge inconvenience, but a change in routine, which is always going to be met with unhappy people.

The minor inconvenience of not being able to carry much, and having to think a bit more carefully about my planning before I reach the airport is nothing when you put it into the perspective of the reasons these changes have been made.

Upvote 0

swimmom

The only thing that I am sad about is juice and water. However, I am sure the airlines will do all they can. They give you water and pop now, maybe they will add juice to the list.

I like to carry a capped drink on the plane so that I can have a drink whenever I would like. I put it in the pocket in front of me and then I also don't have to have the tray down for a drink in a cup. FYI American Airlines serves juice drinks on flights.

Hopefully some of these restrictions will only be temporary. Time will tell.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom