Adventureland Veranda - Skipper Canteen restaurant

habuma

Update: I had the pleasure of eating at Skipper Canteen on Friday. I won't say it's the best meal I've had at Disney World, but it ranks rather high up there. Between me and the rest of my family, we ordered the Char Siu Pork, the "Tastes like Chicken" Because It Is, and (of course), Skip's Mac and Cheese.

Aside from one of the medallions being slightly too charred, the Char Siu Pork was delicious, mildly spicy, and quite flavorful. I enjoyed the flavor of the Chinese Broccoli, but found it difficult to eat gracefully (couldn't get the leafy parts to stay on my fork).

The "Tastes like Chicken" is a perfect description of the dish, because...well...it tasted like chicken. Tender and flavorful, it was what one would expect when ordering grilled chicken breast. Nothing exciting, but still good.

The highlight for me was the Skip's Mac and Cheese. The first bite was a bit disappointing, but then I realized that the spiced beef was mostly on the bottom. After that, every bite was amazing.

For dessert, we had the Kungaloosh and the coconut bar. I wasn't a fan of the coconut bar, but that's probably because I don't care much for coconut in any form. I was a bit worried about the Kungaloosh, because I also don't care for bananas, but was pleased to find that the banana could easily be removed. I did try the banana and...as bananas go...it was okay. But the rest of the Kungaloosh was wonderful. My only complaints about the desserts were their size. I would've enjoyed the Kungaloosh more had it been slightly larger.

The food at Skipper Canteen is adventurous only if you came in expecting your typical theme park burger. Skip's Mac and Cheese is probably a bit too adventurous for young children who are accustomed to getting their mac & cheese from a blue box, but otherwise it's not that exotic. I found absolutely *nothing* wrong with the menu and would hope that if it changes, it doesn't change dramatically. At very least, I'm hoping that the mac & cheese stays on the menu, as I'd love to enjoy it again on our next trip.

RSoxNo1

The food at Skipper Canteen is adventurous only if you came in expecting your typical theme park burger. Skip's Mac and Cheese is probably a bit too adventurous for young children who are accustomed to getting their mac & cheese from a blue box, but otherwise it's not that exotic. I found absolutely *nothing* wrong with the menu and would hope that if it changes, it doesn't change dramatically. At very least, I'm hoping that the mac & cheese stays on the menu, as I'd love to enjoy it again on our next trip.
Thanks for the review.

I didn't find it adventurous at all so I found the menu disappointing for that reason. One of my favorite new dishes in WDW is the Chicken Tikka Masala at Yak and Yeti. That and the offerings at Harambe Market were far more bold than anything we had at Skipper Canteen.

habuma

Thanks for the review.

I didn't find it adventurous at all so I found the menu disappointing for that reason. One of my favorite new dishes in WDW is the Chicken Tikka Masala at Yak and Yeti. That and the offerings at Harambe Market were far more bold than anything we had at Skipper Canteen.

Yes, I guess I might have expected/hoped for it to be a bit more adventurous, but I was completely fine with the menu in its current form. I'd think that an adventurous menu would be more generally acceptable/expected in AK, which is why Harambe Market and Yak & Yeti get away with it there. I'm not saying I necessarily agree with that attitude...just that I would guess that attitude explains the complaints of Skipper Canteen being too adventurous. Adventureland offers a facsimile of adventure in the form of animatronic animals and "adventurous" menu choices; AK levels up by offering real animals and more adventurous menu choices.

FoodRockz

Adventureland offers a facsimile of adventure in the form of animatronic animals and "adventurous" menu choices; AK levels up by offering real animals and more adventurous menu choices.

I agree with that thought process. A MK restaurant could only go so far (not my belief, but WDW).

MrHappy

I ate here last week and was very pleasantly surprised. It had a more premium dining feel than I expected (I guess I was expecting some of the chaos feel like in BOG), the atmosphere was very well done and the server went with a mild level of Skipper shtick (the perfect amount for me). I think the menu selections were there more for the "fun" that can be had vs exotic for the sake of exotic like an AK meal may be for example. (Funny, I tend to agree with the previous post. I'm not in favor of changing anything at Skippers, but if "Trader Sam's Head on Shrimp" was called Garlic Shrimp and Rice, then it would probably appeal to the masses).

I had the fish collar to start, and it was delicious. The fish was meaty yet delicate and well seasoned. Then I had the rice noodle bowl with duck, it was a little on the bland side but I really can't complain just knowing the context of the meal. I finished with the coconut bar - it was spectacular. And I "shared" some of my son's "volcano" which was very moist and rich.

I'm fine if Skippers continues to be slow, it will be a perfect hidden gem to those who like it.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Ugh! Why?

There are too few sit down restaurants left that don't require advance anymore. Not everyone plans 2 months out for a day in the parks but they are making it more and more difficult to visit a park "at your leisure" anymore.
The place isn't full, so they need advance reservations to boost the occupancy.

JohnD

The place isn't full, so they need advance reservations to boost the occupancy.

Probably too soon for you to know this but I wonder if it will become another restaurant available for ADRs during MNSSHP as Crystal Palace, BOG, and CRT are now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom