Adventureland Veranda - Skipper Canteen restaurant

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
You don't seem to understand the problem, a majority of the people going to this restaurant are sending back their food because they cannot eat it. It is so much of a problem that waiters are not making money from tons of people walking out without eating, and something needs to change plain and simple. I'm sorry you don't like what I have to say, but it's what I experienced.

I get it. You got food you didn't like because they wouldn't let you explore the restaurant without eating there. And, I'm sure there are many like you who got in over their heads with the menu items and complain and send perfectly good food back because it doesn't meet their expectations. Hopefully as hype dies down, so does the amount of people like yourself, simply eating there because they want to look around.

Miss Heinous

I get it. You got food you didn't like because they wouldn't let you explore the restaurant without eating there. And, I'm sure there are many like you who got in over their heads with the menu items and complain and send perfectly good food back because it doesn't meet their expectations. Hopefully as hype dies down, so does the amount of people like yourself, simply eating there because they want to look around.
Then the restaurant will be empty, then closed again for 20 years, and a good amount of cast members will be out of a job.

wdwgreek

Just "ate" here for the first time this past week, beautiful restaurant. 2 major problems however:
1. The lighting is horrible in the SEA room... it was so bright in there that I had to squint a lot. If they could dim the lights by I'd say 50% in that room it would be much more pleasant.
2. The menu is too crazy for Magic Kingdom, everyone on our side of the room was sending back their dishes because none of us could stomach it. I am all for exotic cuisine but there's a difference between something new and something that's edible. The thing that shocked me the most was the waiter brought out our food and immediately told us that if we didn't like it he could get us something else (before even putting the food on the table). I have never in my life ever had a waiter tell me something like that before we even got our food. I loved the look of the place but some things need to change before I go back for a meal.
Why is ate in quotation marks? Did you not consume food there? I mean to each to there own, I look forward to trying it next month, I have read that the food is a little adventurous for a park that caters to people who want burger and Mickey shaped chicken nuggets at every food location. The waiter was probably offering because he or she got the sense you were skeptical about the menu or food. Just curious, if you are all for "exotic cuisine" what did you not like about it. I see latter on you say it was bitter, now is this because of improper spicing or just you don't like the taste. Subjectively I get you don't like the food, but does that mean its objectively bad food? Was the food inedible? I think that's hyperbole, mabye not your preference but I highly doubt Disney would operate at their most visited theme park and serve inedible food. What dishes did you get?

Weather_Lady

Why is ate in quotation marks? Did you not consume food there? I mean to each to there own, I look forward to trying it next month, I have read that the food is a little adventurous for a park that caters to people who want burger and Mickey shaped chicken nuggets at every food location. The waiter was probably offering because he or she got the sense you were skeptical about the menu or food. Just curious, if you are all for "exotic cuisine" what did you not like about it. I see latter on you say it was bitter, now is this because of improper spicing or just you don't like the taste. Subjectively I get you don't like the food, but does that mean its objectively bad food? Was the food inedible? I think that's hyperbole, mabye not your preference but I highly doubt Disney would operate at their most visited theme park and serve inedible food. What dishes did you get?

I have to say, reading through the lines of the review, it sounded like a place I would love -- I am so sick of bland, Americanized food at Disney that I am excited to try anyplace that is described as too exotic for it.

wdwgreek

I have to say, reading through the lines of the review, it sounded like a place I would love -- I am so sick of bland, Americanized food at Disney that I am excited to try anyplace that is described as too exotic for it.
I remember being at Arkesheus (pardon the spelling) and someone was complaining to the waiter at our table how there was nothing to eat and they don't like cold seafood. I think they honestly wanted chicken tenders and ribs. It was really upsetting.

Weather_Lady

I remember being at Arkesheus (pardon the spelling) and someone was complaining to the waiter at our table how there was nothing to eat and they don't like cold seafood. I think they honestly wanted chicken tenders and ribs. It was really upsetting.

I've heard similar things (e.g., at Biergarten, "What's with all the sausages and pickled stuff? We shouldn't have to go to the kids' section of the buffet to find good American food"). I just try to laugh it off -- for me, the whole point of eating at a restaurant themed to another place is to actually sample the food from that place. Obviously, some people would just rather eat "chicken nuggets around the world." As hard as it is to please both kinds of eater, I think Disney does its best.

Weather_Lady

Well Weather Lady, I hate to tell you, but apparently, lady or not, you have "Old Man Taste Buds." I suppose my girl friend does as well, so I guess it's a common affliction.

Are you implying that my tastebuds require overseasoning to detect taste? I should have used better diction, as I was really trying to express an affinity for variety, as opposed to spiciness. (Although in fact, my nose and palate have been praised by at least one international wine judge as extremely well-developed, for whatever that's worth.;)) On the other hand, I think Disney food reviewers almost universally agree that when Disney calls something "spicy" on the menu, the adjective rarely applies.

Last edited:

ABQ

Are you implying that my tastebuds require overseasoning to detect taste? I was really trying to express an affinity for variety, as opposed to spiciness. (Although in fact, my nose and palate have been praised by at least one international wine judge as extremely well-developed, for whatever that's worth.) On the other hand, I think Disney food reviewers almost universally agree that when Disney calls something "spicy" on the menu, the adjective rarely applies.

I think he was just making a joke. Based on the ramblings of heinous.
Correct, sorry about that. Goes back to earlier, but is better pointed out in the response post anyway.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...anteen-restaurant.895891/page-77#post-7073216

hpyhnt 1000

Just "ate" here for the first time this past week, beautiful restaurant. 2 major problems however:
[...]
2. The menu is too crazy for Magic Kingdom, everyone on our side of the room was sending back their dishes because none of us could stomach it. I am all for exotic cuisine but there's a difference between something new and something that's edible. The thing that shocked me the most was the waiter brought out our food and immediately told us that if we didn't like it he could get us something else (before even putting the food on the table). I have never in my life ever had a waiter tell me something like that before we even got our food. I loved the look of the place but some things need to change before I go back for a meal.

Loved it. Best meal you can find at the Magic Kingdom. The skipper interaction is a little strange and slightly awkward, but apart from that it is a fantastic addition.

Back to back comments. Hard to believe they're about the exact same restaurant!

All I can say is, if changes need to be made, I hope they tweak the menu rather than re-doing it completely. Maybe tone down a spice or two, and replace the least ordered entree with a (generic-ish) burger. But please don't change it all to the typical theme park/TGI Fridays fare.

jakeman

I was expecting a menu more like Yak and Yeti, or a dry Trader Sam's not a bitter old man cafe.
Ah yes, Yak and Yeti is definitely a paragon of authentic regional delicacies for the adventurous palate not found elsewhere! Such unique dishes like...lettuce wraps and Lo Mein! Where else outside of Asia will you find such rarities and delights for the sense such as...Sweet and Sour Chicken and Chicken Kabobs?

Yak and Yeti: The closest thing to Asian outside of your local grocery store adjacent Chinese place.

note2001

Forgot to comment on the new restrooms, wow are they small. I can only comment on the men's side, one stall, one urinal, one sink. It was fine but seems undersized. Of course few WDW restaurants have their own restrooms, so at least these are dedicated.
As I recall, that is about the same size as Crystal Palace's restroom.

Matt_Black

I feared this problem from go. People have the "right" to eat here. They want to experience the theme, so they should get to. BUT...they also don't want to get to crazy with food, so they should serve burgers and fries. This way EVERYONE gets a chance to enjoy the restaurant.

"I want to experience the opera, and I should get to. But I don't like the music or that it's not sung in English. They should redo the music so that it's country or rap so EVERYONE gets a chance to enjoy the opera."

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
"I want to experience the opera, and I should get to. But I don't like the music or that it's not sung in English. They should redo the music so that it's country or rap so EVERYONE gets a chance to enjoy the opera."

actually...country opera...that sounds like it could something

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom