Additional Charge for Sugar in Iced Tea?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
What's the difference between cane sugar (sucrose) and processed sugar (sucrose)? I get that corn syrup is a different thing, often just pure glucose. And HFCS is slightly different too. Just curious.
Someone people can make out the flavor and/or texture difference between the various forms of sweeteners.

You average person will not be able to tell the difference between HFCS, granulated cane sugar, raw cane sugar, beet sugar, etc, as long as it is dissolved completely.

ratherbeinwdw

I am one of those who can tell the difference, not only with so called natural sweeteners but also among the artificial ones. The only sugar I use, these days, is in my coffee. I cannot tolerate artificial sweeteners in hot beverages. It has a terrible aftertaste.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I am one of those who can tell the difference, not only with so called natural sweeteners but also among the artificial ones. The only sugar I use, these days, is in my coffee. I cannot tolerate artificial sweeteners in hot beverages. It has a terrible aftertaste.
Artificial sweeteners are a different matter entirely. Nearly everyone can tell the difference between Equal, Splenda, etc, vs real sugar.

I can tolerate artificial sweeteners in cold drinks, but just like you, I find thee stuff to be simply rancid in hot beverages like coffee.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Artificial sweeteners are a different matter entirely. Nearly everyone can tell the difference between Equal, Splenda, etc, vs real sugar.

I can tolerate artificial sweeteners in cold drinks, but just like you, I find thee stuff to be simply rancid in hot beverages like coffee.
Chalk up #3 for me...but, I can't stand it in Soda either if it's something I drink alot (like Coke).

However, A&W Diet and Diet Doctor Pepper are both pretty tasty to me!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Chalk up #3 for me...but, I can't stand it in Soda either if it's something I drink alot (like Coke).

However, A&W Diet and Diet Doctor Pepper are both pretty tasty to me!
Sodas are weird for me in that respect. I can deal with the diet versions of just about everything if it is canned or bottled, but diet fountain drinks of pretty much every kind just do not taste right to me.

Disneyhead'71

In the South, they look at you funny when you order unsweet tea.... However, good Southern sweet tea is made with simply syrup, not a packet of sugar. That's just crazy for her to be charged an extra 50 cents for sweet tea, unless the CM made an error when entering her drink order and punched the button for a flavor. This Cape May, which is at the Beach Club, correct? My daughter drinks sweet tea and she's never been given unsweet tea with a sugar package in the South, that would be a crime.
I'm from the south, am a fit 50 year old male, and order unsweetened Iced Tea.

Therefore the entire room knows I'm gay.

Disneyhead'71

Drinking unsweetened tea turns a person gay? :eek:
No, no. But apparently being in the south, and trying to NOT look like Honey Boo Boo's Camo Dynasty is a dead give away that you're not "one of us". But considering that they snort Bacon Grease and believe that knocking up their 14 year old niece is an acceptable lifestyle, I'll try not to judge too harshly.

mad_mag_519_article2.jpg

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
No, no. But apparently being in the south, and trying to NOT look like Honey Boo Boo's Camo Dynasty is a dead give away that you're not "one of us". But considering that they snort Bacon Grease and believe that knocking up their 14 year old niece is an acceptable lifestyle, I'll try not to judge too harshly.

mad_mag_519_article2.jpg

Laughed out loud at the "one more stick of butter" ingredients list.

dreamfinder

Aren't all bottled waters technically Mineral Water?

I do believe that mineral waters typically have elevated levels of some mineral. It may be naturally occurring, or added during the purification/bottling process but there is a difference. Dasani on the other hand is nothing but purified tap water. From WIki (so it must be true)

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration classifies mineral water as water containing at least 250 parts per million total dissolved solids (TDS), originating from a geologically and physically protected underground water source. No minerals may be added to this water.[5] In many places, however, the term "mineral water" is colloquially used to mean any bottled carbonated water or soda water, as opposed to tap water.

In the European Union, bottled water may be called mineral water when it is bottled at the source and has undergone no or minimal treatment.[6] Permitted is the removal of iron, manganese, sulfur and arsenic through decantation, filtration or treatment with ozone-enriched air, in so far as this treatment does not alter the composition of the water as regards the essential constituents which give it its properties. No additions are permitted except for carbon dioxide, which may be added, removed or re-introduced by exclusively physical methods. No disinfection treatment is permitted, nor is the addition of any bacteriostatic agents.

Phonedave

Original Poster
Did the original receipt-poster ask the restaurant about the charge, or did she just run to the internet to complain?

Updated information, it was not Cape May, but at Vero Beach, so that may have something to do with it. I do notice that the banner says "Disney Parks" while it is at Vero - talk about generic branding

You can see that it says "$flav sugar cane"

As she said in her post, she really did not care about the 50 cents. She noticed it after she left the restaurant, she asked at the front desk, and they had no clue what it was all about either. She wasn't looking for a refund, she was just wondering what it was all about (new policy, mistake, or something else)

-dave

1520642_10204773128397429_9012535260625192643_n.jpg

DisneyDebNJ

Someone people can make out the flavor and/or texture difference between the various forms of sweeteners.

You average person will not be able to tell the difference between HFCS, granulated cane sugar, raw cane sugar, beet sugar, etc, as long as it is dissolved completely.
This ^^^^ exactly....

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I do believe that mineral waters typically have elevated levels of some mineral. It may be naturally occurring, or added during the purification/bottling process but there is a difference. Dasani on the other hand is nothing but purified tap water. From WIki (so it must be true)

And tastes like it.....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom