Additional Charge for Sugar in Iced Tea?

Phonedave

Original Poster
I belong to a DVC group on Facebook.

One of the members there posted a picture of a receipt from Cape May

She had ordered a sweet tea, while someone else in the party ordered unsweetened iced tea.

She had a charge on her bill for an extra 50 cents for "sugar cane syrup flavoring"

As she said, it's not about the 50 cents. It is more about WDW now trying to get every singe penny out of a customer.

Has anybody ever heard of this before? I could understand if it was a specialty flavored iced tea, with a real fruit extract added (not Nestea raspberry stuff). But in the case of sweet tea, it is just sugar - either simple syrup, corn syrup, or castor sugar.

-dave

NYwdwfan

I belong to a DVC group on Facebook.

One of the members there posted a picture of a receipt from Cape May

She had ordered a sweet tea, while someone else in the party ordered unsweetened iced tea.

She had a charge on her bill for an extra 50 cents for "sugar cane syrup flavoring"

As she said, it's not about the 50 cents. It is more about WDW now trying to get every singe penny out of a customer.

Has anybody ever heard of this before? I could understand if it was a specialty flavored iced tea, with a real fruit extract added (not Nestea raspberry stuff). But in the case of sweet tea, it is just sugar - either simple syrup, corn syrup, or castor sugar.

-dave

Wow. It's sugar syrup. Not vodka. Wow.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
In the South, they look at you funny when you order unsweet tea.... However, good Southern sweet tea is made with simply syrup, not a packet of sugar. That's just crazy for her to be charged an extra 50 cents for sweet tea, unless the CM made an error when entering her drink order and punched the button for a flavor. This Cape May, which is at the Beach Club, correct? My daughter drinks sweet tea and she's never been given unsweet tea with a sugar package in the South, that would be a crime.

mouse_luv

I would say, as others are, that this was probably CM error. I have had many a glass of Sweet Tea at WDW and have never been charged extra for it or "additive syrup." Best of luck to your fellow forum member.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
In the South, they look at you funny when you order unsweet tea.... However, good Southern sweet tea is made with simply syrup, not a packet of sugar. That's just crazy for her to be charged an extra 50 cents for sweet tea, unless the CM made an error when entering her drink order and punched the button for a flavor. This Cape May, which is at the Beach Club, correct? My daughter drinks sweet tea and she's never been given unsweet tea with a sugar package in the South, that would be a crime.
The thing is WDW is not really in the "south". Florida is an odd place in that the farther south you go, the less southern you get. Once you go past about St Augustine, the level of southern culture begins to drop dramatically. You have some pockets of southern culture here and there, but that is about it.

LAKid53

Premium Member
The thing is WDW is not really in the "south". Florida is an odd place in that the farther south you go, the less southern you get. Once you go past about St Augustine, the level of southern culture begins to drop dramatically. You have some pockets of southern culture here and there, but that is about it.

That's only going to fuel the "let's split Florida in half at Orlando" crowd... lol

ratherbeinwdw

I live and have always lived in the south. I drink unsweetened tea. Unsweetened tea is offered at every single restaurant, in the south, that I've been in for years now, and most of the nicer restaurants, we go to, only have unsweetened tea. They have sugar on the table as well as artificial sweeteners.

Dads 2 Boys

Had to be a mistake on the CM part. WE just got home Sunday and my wife ordered iced tea for virtually every meal and we never had a charge.

HRHPrincessAriel

I live and have always lived in the south. I drink unsweetened tea. Unsweetened tea is offered at every single restaurant, in the south, that I've been in for years now, and most of the nicer restaurants, we go to, only have unsweetened tea. They have sugar on the table as well as artificial sweeteners.
Ditto...not my whole life(but most of it) but I've never been looked at funny for ordering unsweet tea

HRHPrincessAriel

I live in the south and have never.ever. Ordered sweet tea. I've never been given funny looks. Same goes for my mom and grandma(who was raised in Charleston)

LAKid53

Premium Member
:cry:
I live in the south and have never.ever. Ordered sweet tea. I've never been given funny looks. Same goes for my mom and grandma(who was raised in Charleston)

I don't drink sweet tea, but every time I order unsweet tea, I get asked if I want sugar or artificial sweetener because they think I'm on a diet and give me a funny look when I say no - may have more to do with my lack of a Southern accent while living in the Deep South than anything else (another one of those Yankees ;)). My daughter ordered sweet tea when we out west a few years ago. She was told they don't have sweet tea - the waitress was a little puzzled by her request - but would bring her unsweet tea with a sugar packet. Not the same.....

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Sweet Tea isn't prevalent "all over" the South. It is common in many Southern states though.

Texas, for example, doesn't have a culture that supports sweet tea the further west you go, yet many consider that the "south" (it's not, it's Texas"). It's also not a given in states like LA, KY, VA, etc...

Also, good sweet tea isn't made sweet when cold using packets or syrup.

It's brewed sweet. Meaning, the sugar is added to the boiling water before or during steeping. Not after.

Also best with cane sugar instead of processed, and certainly NOT Karo (corn syrup).

BrianV

Sweet Tea isn't prevalent "all over" the South. It is common in many Southern states though.

Texas, for example, doesn't have a culture that supports sweet tea the further west you go, yet many consider that the "south" (it's not, it's Texas"). It's also not a given in states like LA, KY, VA, etc...

Also, good sweet tea isn't made sweet when cold using packets or syrup.

It's brewed sweet. Meaning, the sugar is added to the boiling water before or during steeping. Not after.

Also best with cane sugar instead of processed, and certainly NOT Karo (corn syrup).

What's the difference between cane sugar (sucrose) and processed sugar (sucrose)? I get that corn syrup is a different thing, often just pure glucose. And HFCS is slightly different too. Just curious.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
What's the difference between cane sugar (sucrose) and processed sugar (sucrose)? I get that corn syrup is a different thing, often just pure glucose. And HFCS is slightly different too. Just curious.
Chemically? Nothing.

The manufacturing process is different. Some disapprove of the chemical treatment process and the GMO Beets, but I'm not one of those.

Some of it is just personal preference, with no significant reason at all (though, there are hints of molasses in raw cane sugar that are not in finely processed table sugar), and certainly not a nutritional one.

It's all about this:

1409097163_1386744797_yey4rf_2yrectc.gif

(in your mind)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom