? about medical emergencies inWDW....

SouthernGirl75

Original Poster
Long story, and certainly hoping none of us ever need it, but I was wondering, what kind of emergency medical services are in the parks? do they have their own staff? ambulances? I know dollywood keeps ems onsite. I had never thought about it before, but the parks are huge with lots of people, seems like they would have something available for these situations....:)

Emergency

I would think they have staff, ambulances and I know Celebration Hospital is Disney Owned and not too far from Disney Parks/Areas, They also have their own Fire Dept on Disney Property as well as a AAA Office and a bunch of other stuff. No worries at Disney you are 100% safe. :)
Have a great day ! :sohappy:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Yep Disney's own Reedy Creek Emergency Services respond VERY quickly to medical emergencies and are based onsite.

totben

Reedy Creek Emergency Services Prides themselves on that fact that they can be ANYWHERE on Disney Property in under 4 minutes. They have locations in centralized areas where they can reach multiple resorts from as well as throughout the backstage ares of the four parks. Very well thought out operation.

Disney05

I almost called the day we got down there last week. I was really sick the first day. From what the pamphlet in the room says, complimentary transportation is available to go to a walk in clinic.

The Mom

Premium Member
I almost called the day we got down there last week. I was really sick the first day. From what the pamphlet in the room says, complimentary transportation is available to go to a walk in clinic.

There is basic first aid available, such as band-aids, ice packs, etc. My BIL got a cinder in his eye at Illuminations once, and the nurse washed it out for him, and told him to go to an ER if it started to bother him.

Anything else is either handled by Reedy Creek, or the guest is advised to go to a "Doc in a Box." It depends upon the nature of the problem.

Firewolfe51

they have ALS (advance life support) golf cart type vehicles inside the parks. that is one of those things disney does not want you to see. those vehicles can transport you to the nearest gate to be turned over to an ambulance crew. they are all reedy creek fire dept paramedics. And Disney has AED"S (automatic external defib machines) EVERYWHERE! I MEAN EVERYWHERE, that is a great thing.

Bug715

They have first aid in all the parks but this is most likely a urgent care type place on 535. I went there last year while I was on my program and my little cousin got a ride there when we were down last summer. I know when I was there and the patient/guest was done the receptionist would radio what resort they were returning to. I think they can also take guests to walgreens for medicine because I saw a cornado springs van there one day.

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
Long story, and certainly hoping none of us ever need it, but I was wondering, what kind of emergency medical services are in the parks? do they have their own staff? ambulances? I know dollywood keeps ems onsite. I had never thought about it before, but the parks are huge with lots of people, seems like they would have something available for these situations....:)

I know that they have a nurse on staff - i've seen job postings open for it. I would assume they have Ambulances and EMT's. Thankfully, i've never need anything like this.

DisneyLindz

I used to behavior therapy with an autistic boy that had severe peanut/nut/flour allergies. His family went to WDW and were at Magic Kingdom. When they walked past the bakery on Main Street the door opened and the poor little guy got a wiff of something that made him go into Anaphylactic Shock. The mother said that the response of the in park response team was amazing (within a minute) as well as how quickly the EMT's arrived. It's comforting to know that if something happens like this, there is such a quick and effective response!!!

marko

I had hurt my knee at typhoon lagoon which later found out it to be a torn mcl, anyways we ended up at celebration hosp, not owned by disney, part of the florida hospital chain. It is a beautiful hosp, and the staff were professional. I was a bit surpised to see a hosp with valet service.:ROFLOL:

Eyorefan

I had hurt my knee at typhoon lagoon which later found out it to be a torn mcl, anyways we ended up at celebration hosp, not owned by disney, part of the florida hospital chain. It is a beautiful hosp, and the staff were professional. I was a bit surpised to see a hosp with valet service.:ROFLOL:

I don't think valet service is that unusual at a hospital. All the hospitals I have been to in the Texas Medical Center have it.

It makes sense really. When sick people are coming in for treatment they might have a hard time walking the long distance from the parking lot to the building.

Rabflmom

>>>>

We ended up at Sand Lake Hospital ( has a different name now but is part of the Orlando regional group.) It was wonderful. Sort of grateful that my husband had his heart attack in Orlando instead of here at home. We were actually at SW not Disney when he had the problem, but the first aid office and EMTs were great there, too.

At Disney each park actually has first responders who get to the person hurt first. A lot of times they have everything under control and Reedy Creek just takes over to transport to hospital if needed.

My take.....if you are going to have a heart attack, get sick in any way, almost drown, or get hurt you are in so much better hands at a theme park than you are almost anywhere. They cover their bases really well.

jhastings74

>>>>

We ended up at Sand Lake Hospital ( has a different name now but is part of the Orlando regional group.) It was wonderful. Sort of grateful that my husband had his heart attack in Orlando instead of here at home. We were actually at SW not Disney when he had the problem, but the first aid office and EMTs were great there, too.

At Disney each park actually has first responders who get to the person hurt first. A lot of times they have everything under control and Reedy Creek just takes over to transport to hospital if needed.

My take.....if you are going to have a heart attack, get sick in any way, almost drown, or get hurt you are in so much better hands at a theme park than you are almost anywhere. They cover their bases really well.

...and we were told during Traditions (if I remember correctly:confused:) that all medical care that Reedy Creek provides is free...

TrojanUSC

It is rarely ever used but ambulances are one of the two types of vehicles permitted into the tunnels beneath the Magic Kingdom park. The other being the armored cash vans.

Also, if you ever hear a cast member referring to an "alpha unit," it means ambulance in Disney-speak.

mrerk

Premium Member
...and we were told during Traditions (if I remember correctly:confused:) that all medical care that Reedy Creek provides is free...

As it should be. Reedy Creek is the municipality. It would be like your city/town charging you for sending out the fire dept.

BigB911

I'd like to chime in please...

Having LPN's and/or RN's in the First Aid office is a little bit more than basic first aid.

As others have said, Reedy Creek FD will respond anywhere on property free of charge whether the individual is treated with out transport or treated with transport. I say this because EMS, in most cases, can only bill your HMO if you are transported.

Also, EMS varies greatly depending on what part of the country you are in. Some EMS may be part private, part public, all public (muni owned), or all private. Some have annual subscription drives. Others will bill you and/or your HMO. EMS is not entirely free everywhere. Neither is the FD. Fire Departments, paid or volunteer, can bill your homeowner's insurance or your automobile insurance. Same with EMS.

Let me say I have no complaints with what I am paid for the job I do. My co-workers and I are some of the highest paid in the country. With that said, those that are out in the field, the firefighters and especially EMT's and paramedics, are grossly underpaid across the country. Volunteer fire departments are in danger all across the country-there has been a severe drop in volunteers, and furthermore municipalities don't invest in their departments as they should. But I digress...

That is all.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom