A Spirited Perfect Ten

Cesar R M

Is it normal to have fires from fireworks debris so frequently? That's the second one in a few months, last time being when the Mine Train bushes started burning.
well, theres construction on IASMW.
It seems a dry tree caught fire and spread to the fabrics that block the view from the construction.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Well, that's really not true unless you are in the service industry and then it's true everyplace you go. However, and this is a big "however" you can't afford to go anyplace on vacation due to low wages, high housing costs, high taxes and high energy bills.

Most companies even large ones in NE do not offer paid vacation even any longer, Has nothing to do with being in the service sector unemployment is high and paid vacation is no longer a perk they need to offer to attract and retain employees.

Thanks to A$$holes in Congress and the White house business in the US is a race to the bottom.

ParentsOf4

Universal does not use this sales and general expenses category - and per Disney's description it includes costs for Shanghai. Disney does not provide a breakdown for what percentage of the costs are for domestic or international parks. So our options are that Disney's cost structure in Orlando is much higher than Universal or Disney is taking a lot of money from the domestic parks to run its international parks.
I agree. Disney reports separate domestic vs. international revenue, depreciation, and capex. However, Disney does not report separate domestic vs. international opex or SG&A.

The operating income reported by Disney takes into consideration the costs of opex, SG&A, and depreciation & amortization. Beginning in 2010, Disney began reporting "Operating expenses", "Selling, general, administrative and other", and "Depreciation and amortization" as separate line items for each business segment. Prior to that, Disney simply reported "operating income" without breaking down costs. It's nice that Disney provides a breakdown of costs, although a more detailed breakdown of domestic vs. international would be even nicer. :)

Quoting from Universal's 10K: "Our Theme Parks segment operating costs and expenses consist primarily of theme park operations, including repairs and maintenance and related administrative expenses; food, beverage and merchandise costs; labor costs; and sales and marketing costs."

Universal reports "Operating income before depreciation and amortization" without breaking down how much of these costs are opex and how much are SG&A, similar to what Disney did prior to 2010.

Since Disney reports "operating income", which includes depreciation and amortization, while Universal reports "Operating income before depreciation and amortization", Universal's "Depreciation and Amortization" must be subtracted from Universal's operating income to make an apples-to-apples comparison.

Both companies report operating income for each business unit.

Both companies report separate corporate-wide expenses after business unit operating income that are not allocated to any specific business unit.

Euro Disney reports its own numbers, which provides guidance for costs at DLP. I'm unaware of any good way to derive costs specific to Hong Kong Disneyland.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
This comparison with Universal is fascinating. I can't figure out why Disney's cost structure is so much higher-but it seems like it has to be the international parks.

Universal spends 55% of their income from the parks on operating expenses
Disney spends 60% of their income from the parks on operating expenses, plus another 12% of their income on sales and general expenses.

Universal does not use this sales and general expenses category - and per Disney's description it includes costs for Shanghai. Disney does not provide a breakdown for what percentage of the costs are for domestic or international parks. So our options are that Disney's cost structure in Orlando is much higher than Universal or Disney is taking a lot of money from the domestic parks to run its international parks.

Currently Disney makes 82% of their income from the domestic parks - if I were a shareholder I would ask what percentage of Disney's costs are from the domestic parks. I'd be willing to bet it's much lower than 80%.
Disney doesn't operate the parks in Japan (they may operate Paris now, not sure how that breaks down anymore since he structure has changed). The parks in Japan just pay a royalty to Disney for using the brand. Not sure how Honk Kong is structured, but I think they at least have a partner.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
And the Met Gala is exactly the type of venue where her dress would be acceptable, not the Academy Awards!!!

Has anyone gotten a comment yet from JJ Abrams about what he thinks of the dress at the Oscars???
I don't know much about the Met Gala. The pictures from the red carpet look pretty similar to the Oscars to me. Lots of celebs in dresses by famous designers. I'm not sure it is any more acceptable there.

I still think it's incredibly bizarre but still not as bad as the swan dress Bjork wore back in the 90s.

stevehousse

I don't know much about the Met Gala. The pictures from the red carpet look pretty similar to the Oscars to me. Lots of celebs in dresses by famous designers. I'm not sure it is any more acceptable there.

I still think it's incredibly bizarre but still not as bad as the swan dress Bjork wore back in the 90s.

The Met Gala every year is the event you can show up a little more quicker I guess you could call it or more of a risk taking dressed event. Every year is a different theme. No where near the level of respect as the Oscars.

LondonGopher

I could not believe it was a real dress either. I really thought it was a photoshop job until I looked it up. It is a real dress. Made by a real designer. They have a handful of Star Wars print dresses. It isn't new either. Kirsten Dunst wore the Death Star dress on the red carpet at the Met Gala in NY almost a year ago:
View attachment 84822

OK...I was shopping on Oxford Street in January. The Star Wars dresses were in one of Selfridge's (huge)main windows (for men/foreigners ;), Selfridges is *probably* the most important/influential department store in England). There was a Luke Skywalker dress that was particularly striking, but women (of all ages/stations) were queuing up to have their photograph taken in front of all the dresses. Queuing up. So obviously they captured the attention of us XX chromosome types.

I remember thinking...those are SO INCONGRUOUS AND FUNNY...but where could I wear one? Does Comic Con even have a formal night? :D

So I DO find it credible that a woman could find the dresses striking and would think...hey, the Oscars...that's probably one of the FEW places I could wear that Yoda dress.

I think WB is in a bit of a Calpurnia situation here (as @Bolna tried to describe). Caesar's wife has to be more than just not guilty in FACT, she also has APPEAR not guilty of any shenanigans. And this was at the very least, bad timing. :cautious:

One woman's opinion only. But I tell you now (and you married men know this already ;))...if a woman wants a special frock, she's going to find somewhere to wear it in order to justify its purchase.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
If he really wanted to change the conversation he could drop some Star Wars concept art. People would forget there is even a park currently being built in China;)

Hard to forget something you never knew. And, my guess is, most people in the US, have no clue there is a Disney park being built in China. And I'd further guess that of those who do know, most don't particularly care. I'm in the 2nd category.

Tigger1988

The Met Gala every year is the event you can show up a little more quicker I guess you could call it or more of a risk taking dressed event. Every year is a different theme. No where near the level of respect as the Oscars.
The Met Gala is a highly respected event where people show off the highest of fashion. Just because they may be more "showy" in nature doesn't mean respect isn't shown.

What respect are we talking about re: The Oscars? We're talking about the event where men have shown up in drag.
matt-stone-and-trey-parker-dresses.jpg

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Hard to forget something you never knew. And, my guess is, most people in the US, have no clue there is a Disney park being built in China. And I'd further guess that of those who do know, most don't particularly care. I'm in the 2nd category.
True. Most people don't know or care. Actually, a lot of people wouldn't care about a Star Wars Land either. For those in the know or who care, like the people here and on other fan sites, dropping Star Wars concept art would be guaranteed to stop any other discussion in its tracks.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
True. Most people don't know or care. Actually, a lot of people wouldn't care about a Star Wars Land either. For those in the know or who care, like the people here and on other fan sites, dropping Star Wars concept art would be guaranteed to stop any other discussion in its tracks.
I agree with the part about Star Wars concept art. My heart goes pitter patter a little faster just thinking about it. On Disney in China, I think the majority of posters on wdwmagic probably know how about it, but don't care. Why would they? What % of folks here are ever going to China? 5% maybe?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I agree with the part about Star Wars concept art. My heart goes pitter patter a little faster just thinking about it. On Disney in China, I think the majority of posters on wdwmagic probably know how about it, but don't care. Why would they? What % of folks here are ever going to China? 5% maybe?
True. It may actually be less than 5%. I would think Hong Kong is a lot more likely than Shanghai. I know I am very unlikely to ever visit.

I do have an interest in what goes on there even without planning on visiting. It may be more of an academic interest than a practical one. If TWDC is going to spend money on P&R projects anywhere I am interested. Success or failure could have a major impact on the domestic parks. The issues with Euro Disney had a major impact on the stripped down version of DCA that eventually opened. If this project is a flop and it's a drain on P&R results and capital spend it could be very bad news for future projects at DHS or further down the road at EPCOT or even a WDW 5th gate. If the park is a smash hit it makes justifying future P&R capital spend a lot easier. This project has the size and scope to potentially set the company back a decade or more if it's a real train wreck. I know people want Iger to look bad, but as a fan of WDW I can't see how failure on this project would be a good thing.

Phil12

I could not believe it was a real dress either. I really thought it was a photoshop job until I looked it up. It is a real dress. Made by a real designer. They have a handful of Star Wars print dresses. It isn't new either. Kirsten Dunst wore the Death Star dress on the red carpet at the Met Gala in NY almost a year ago:
View attachment 84822
It just goes to show what you and I know about fashion. As it turns out Yoda and SpongeBob Squarepants are the fashion rage this year!
Rita-Ora-in-Leicester-Square_3_31_14_01.jpg

Animaniac93-98

This bit of news from Box Office Mojo ties into the overall discussion of Disney in China:

"Big Hero 6 opened to $14.8 million in China this weekend, which is the biggest debut ever for a Disney animated release. Overall, it took in $21.6 million for a new total of $351.3 million.

The Disney Animation movie has now earned $572 million worldwide, and will absolutely be passing $600 million by the end of its run."

I would suspect the reason BH6 is doing well in China is that the movie has more in common with the recent slate of Marvel movies (which do big business in China, unlike Japan for some reason) vs. traditional Disney fare like Frozen.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom