A Spirited Perfect Ten

UpAllNight

Very exciting times ahead, I guess it goes without saying that whatever ends up on this land will be very far down the road, correct? I'd love if Universal built a park of similar size to Epcot on this land but I should probably be more realistic :inlove: I just hope Disney continues on their current pace with Avatar, Toy Story, Star Wars, and whatever else comes to DHS.

I'd guess Disney's current pace is what they judge they need now and doesn't take into consideration the potential effects of a third Universal gate. They may just have to up that pace even more.

I suspect however it'll be atleast a decade before Universal opens a third gate; they're in the process of enhancing or replacing every attraction it seems.

PhotoDave219

I'd guess Disney's current pace is what they judge they need now and doesn't take into consideration the potential effects of a third Universal gate. They may just have to up that pace even more.

I suspect however it'll be atleast a decade before Universal opens a third gate; they're in the process of enhancing or replacing every attraction it seems.

Disney simply does not care what Universal does. They really don't.....

UpAllNight

Not entirely sure how true that is. I know if there's another park at Universal that's another notch in the Universal column when I'm deciding to stay onsite. I'm sure there'll be many more like me.

Edit: Or even I-Drive given that if this development goes ahead, it will be right in the middle of the action at a fraction of the cost.

JoeCamel

Maybe Uni holds the land and sells it or develops it for a third gate, lots of hurdles for them not the least of which is the transport between the 1,2 and the 3rd gate. Maybe they just work as speculators or develop something totally out of left field. It will be years before we find out what their vision is and if Comcast gets absorbed by another owner between now and development then the land just ends up as another Florida deal.

BrerJon

It should be noted that this property, that is large enough for a 3rd gate and a 3rd dining/entertainment district (2nd going where WnW is), is adjacent to The Orange County Convention Center.

Plus, Universal has said they'd eventually like 10,000 hotel rooms. This gives space to build some more, but also scope to acquire some of the many hotels already there and bring them into Universal ownership.

I can't believe Disney doesn't pay any attention to Universal (well actually I can, I've seen how bad New Fantasyland is compared to Wizarding World), but unless you're a die-hard Disney fan who must stay on site, I-Drive will be by far the most sensible place to stay when in Orlando when all this is complete, that's my feeling.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Plus, Universal has said they'd eventually like 10,000 hotel rooms. This gives space to build some more, but also scope to acquire some of the many hotels already there and bring them into Universal ownership.

I can't believe Disney doesn't pay any attention to Universal (well actually I can, I've seen how bad New Fantasyland is compared to Wizarding World), but unless you're a die-hard Disney fan who must stay on site, I-Drive will be by far the most sensible place to stay when in Orlando when all this is complete, that's my feeling.

So 10 years? That's pretty far out to predict. I guess we will see

BrerJon

Maybe Uni holds the land and sells it or develops it for a third gate, lots of hurdles for them not the least of which is the transport between the 1,2 and the 3rd gate. Maybe they just work as speculators or develop something totally out of left field. It will be years before we find out what their vision is and if Comcast gets absorbed by another owner between now and development then the land just ends up as another Florida deal.

Transport is not an issue. It's about the same distance as between Magic Kingdom and Epcot, and much closer than the distance between Animal Kingdom and the other parks. They will run buses, just as Disney does, and probably have a dedicated bus lane along Universal Blvd too for extra quick transport.

flyerjab

Just thought I would add this link to the conversation concerning the topic of the UNI news.

http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201512/4857/

I think that this is such a good thing. We really like vacationing in this part of the world. The more things that happen here that ultimately lead the different entertainment companies to compete with each other is a good thing. Seeing the potential with Diagon Alley, can you imagine a 3rd gate that would be entirely held to that standard and level of theming and immersion? Wow! We have Harry Potter, soon there will be Kong, then Avatar, then Toy Story Land, then Star Wars. A new water park and potential 3rd gate at UNI? And also a phase 3 and possibly more for DHS. And then there is WDW's 50th anniversary. This just keeps looking better and better.

Garfield

I can see why Disney hasn't cared in the past, but IF Universal does add a third park, Disney should start to take notice. Universal becomes more competitive for the multi-day tourist and would no longer be just a one or two day visit for most of their guests.

PhotoDave219

I can see why Disney hasn't cared in the past, but IF Universal does add a third park, Disney should start to take notice. Universal becomes more competitive for the multi-day tourist and would no longer be just a one or two day visit for most of their guests.

They may notice, yet they simply won't care.

Personally, I like Universal. But if they could ever get their stuff together Guest Service wise, they could be a threat. However that hasn't changed and is unlikely to do so.

TalkingHead

Good on Universal for continuing to be aggressive.

I seem to recall the departed Spirit once mentioned the possibility of a monorail connecting the separate Uni properties.

Whatever the third park entails, I hope it involves a diversity of experiences -- starting from scratch, Creative should have the ability to swing for the fences and show us something new. I would hope that they could come up with a concept that is unique. If it's another mishmash of IPs, it runs the risk of blurring with Studios and IOA.

Mike C

Thinking way too small, this is a lot further along in planning then most realize. It won't be this decade (but perhaps not too far into the next), nor will they slow down with the existing property or wet n wild property. The half Blackstone owned Universal of old is nothing like the current one. Universal Bejing will be their largest resort, until all this is done.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Whatever the third park entails, I hope it involves a diversity of experiences -- starting from scratch, Creative should have the ability to swing for the fences and show us something new. I would hope that they could come up with a concept that is unique. If it's another mishmash of IPs, it runs the risk of blurring with Studios and IOA.
This is exactly why dreams of a third gate don't excite me. I just don't see Universal actually truly embracing themed entertainment as a creative medium and thus don't expect much more than Islands of Adventure Part 3.

Cesar R M

Latest MiceAge update is available:
Highlights
  • Michael Colglazer to stay on as DLR pres for an undetermined amount of time
  • Bob Chapek has brought one of his lackeys to Anaheim to oversee a Disney Springs style redo of their Downtown Disney
  • Marvel for DCA has been reworked and at this point in time will open up in two phases starting in 2019
  • DL's Star Wars Land is locked in for a 2019 opening
  • A new version of Fastpass utilizing the new Disneyland app is coming to DLR, but will not include Magicbands or 60 day out ride reservations.
  • Autopia will be getting electric cars and a long refurbishment courtesy of Honda
http://micechat.com/116178-miceage-disneyland-rumor-update-star-wars/
courtesy of honda? as in... we will see huge "sponsored by Honda" everywhere?

Cesar R M

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom