A Spirited Perfect Ten

asianway

Weekends at Tokyo Disney are insane year round. Weekdays are crowded as well, but not usually as bad. Next time be sure to go on a weekday, and regardless of what day you go, if you don't arrive before park opening you're already hopelessly behind for the day.

Don't miss Sindbad's Storybook Voyage (grab a Chandu tail next door!), Tower of Terror and Indy in TDS. Toy Story Mania is an exact clone, skip it. Big Band Beat is amazing. The Mermaid Lagoon Theater is fantastic and offers Fastpass. Journey and 20K are very much worth doing, if a little frustrating in their execution.
I've heard the new Mermaid show is a step down from the old one

the.dreamfinder

Brooksie is on the defensive for TWDC with a piece on how Star Wars has helped keep DIS stock price high as ESPN begins to face challenges as its subscriber base continues to shrink. (Didn't I say something about IP buys like Lucasfilm being shiny distractions for Wall St. last week?)
http://nytimes.com/2015/11/30/busin...attracts-investors-in-midst-of-espn-woes.html
There's also this:
Wall Street expects “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” to take in at least $1.5 billion worldwide. Some analysts predict $2 billion or more. Tim Nollen of Macquarie Securities has estimated that mountains of related merchandise could generate an additional $5 billion in revenue over the next year.

Travel Junkie

So in conclusion- go to Japan if you can anyone! And if you can- when you're there if you can make it to Tokyo Disney Resort, go! Especially Disney Sea. Great experience.

Glad you enjoyed it even if it was crowded. As everyone else said weekends and holiday's are madness. It's a locals park so go when they are at work and school.

Yes I encourage anyone that can to go to Japan. You won't regret it. Tokyo is one of the best cities in the world and Kyoto maybe even better! TOT at TDS has the DCA ride setup, but the preshow it awesome even if it is told in Japanese. You can ask for a story paper for that and other rides there that give you the backstory in English. A lot of times cm's will just give you one if you look like a westerner.

the.dreamfinder

Haven't seen much discussion of "The Good Dinosaur" around these parts, but I did want to share this excellent profile from Birth.Movies.Death on the new short attached to the film, "Sanjay's Super Team". I haven't been this excited for a Pixar short since Teddy Newton's "Night and Day" or Enrico Casarosa's "La Luna". As Pixar moves towards two films a year in the next 5-10 years, I hope we see more personal visions like Sanjay Patel's break out on that side of the studio.
http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2015/07/06/sanjays-super-team-superheroes-and-hindu-heritage

Mike S

Haven't seen much discussion of "The Good Dinosaur" around these parts, but I did want to share this excellent profile from Birth.Movies.Death on the new short attached to the film, "Sanjay's Super Team". I haven't been this excited for a Pixar short since Teddy Newton's "Night and Day" or Enrico Casarosa's "La Luna". As Pixar moves towards two films a year in the next 5-10 years, I hope we see more personal visions like Sanjay Patel's break out on that side of the studio.
http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2015/07/06/sanjays-super-team-superheroes-and-hindu-heritage
The short wasn't very good to me. Night and Day and La Luna easily top it.

brb1006

On the topic of Tokyo Disney Resort, I will never forget feeling overwhelmed and blown away when I first discovered Tokyo Disneyland Electrical Parade Dreamlights back in 2007. I mean look at the drum unit and the It's A Small World finale and Cheshire Cat units! This was pre Paint The Night and has been running at the resort since 2001 and still getting more updates and gaining new floats every few years. The parade even has a Christmas Edition complete with Christmas decorations and had more Disney characters past and present in the parade including obscure ones. This was back during my Elementary school years.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
So glad you enjoyed it.

Lots of people balk at the idea of spending time in a Disney park when visiting Japan, but many don't realise that you actually get *more* of a cultural experience seeing how the Japanese spend their time off, how they do things differently, than just visiting tourist sights, as the basis of familiarity means the differences stand out much more strikingly and you'll feel like you've had an authentically Japanese experience.

I think they do that without knowing about DisneySea. As much as I love Tokyo itself, DisneySea is just such a unique and remarkable place in its own right.

Let's see, how rich would I need to be to book a hotel room at the MiraCosta for the rest of my life? :p

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I don't watch ESPN for personalities - I watch ESPN for the game. I'd be fine without any commentary.

You and many others but there was another segment who watched the morning and late night TV shows and listened to the drive time radio shows, This segment of listeners got left out in the cold by the replacement of 'personalities' with nobodies. These guys are the ones whose programming changes caused them to leave because of the same old BRAND vs CONTENT issues we see at WDW.

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Comcast, Charter, Time-Warner... these companies are in trouble. They just distribute things, cable companies don't create content.

Disney will be fine. They've been better with the internet than under Eisner. (The Go.Com debacle)

Disagree Archer,

On their internet properties they are a 9 to 5 operation, Not a 'Five Nines' operation to be a Five nines operation which is necessary if one wants to be a serious player in the internet space you are allowed 5 minutes of 'unplanned' downtime PER YEAR. Not the current state of systems which are degraded or unavailable for hours or days on end.

PhotoDave219

You and many others but there was another segment who watched the morning and late night TV shows and listened to the drive time radio shows, This segment of listeners got left out in the cold by the replacement of 'personalities' with nobodies. These guys are the ones whose programming changes caused them to leave because of the same old BRAND vs CONTENT issues we see at WDW.

Lemmie rephrase....

The only person I turn ESPN on to see is my friend from English class from college…

Other than that? I simply don't care about anything other than the sport itself.

doctornick

Lemmie rephrase....

The only person I turn ESPN on to see is my friend from English class from college…

Other than that? I simply don't care about anything other than the sport itself.

And you would be representative of the vast vast majority of people who watch ESPN. I don't know where along the line someone got the idea that people tune into sports channels for "personalities" but it just ain't true. The non live sports shows on ESPN largely get mediocre ratings and don't fluctuate that much between different shows with different people (accounting for time of day, etc.). Virtually anyone is replaceable at ESPN as long as the real, important content -- the live games -- are maintained.

ESPN will continue to do fine going forward. People like sports and are willing to pay to see games live. The fewer people who pay for bundled TV package ESPN will result in more people paying for a direct to consumer version of the channels. Disney has many long term deals with many different leagues and organizations so the content they control won't dry up any time soon. Someday, if there is a move to leagues cutting out the middle man and providing direct to consumer content, then ESPN will have the lead time to adjust (and will potentially shift more to being a production company for the leagues)

ESPN is currently making a crapload of money for Disney. If losing subs means that they simply make a handsome profit instead, the company will survive just fine. There's a lot of segments that are threatening by increased cord cutting (both cable/satellite providers and networks) but sports channels are among the least at risk given the nature of their content.

Cesar R M

Lemmie rephrase....

but you arent the entire world population, not even the full forum or the full thread.
No idea why you have to make it a "I" argument.

Travel Junkie

Lemmie rephrase....

And to add if you were inclined to listen to these pontificators you don't need ESPN to do so. They podcast virtually all of these shows and you can listen for free online. No subscription to ESPN required.

The only reason to have ESPN or any of these sports networks is to watch sports live.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom