A Spirited Perfect Ten

StageFrenzy

So, The Weatherman yet again teases fans about Star Wars products in the parks ...and they lap it up just the same. Maybe he isn't as out of touch with them as I think?
He is a former weatherman surely he can detect a force storm, although he and the rest of TWDC whiffed on the arctic blast from Arrendelle.

WDW1974

Original Poster
So... not that unusual IMO... but is it a compelling enough idea? And who really believes 500k is enough to renovate a 100yr old place to commercial standards and be able to make something great out of it? We have places in our community that it's taking like 50k just to stabalize the place.. let alone bring it up to commercial building codes.

Preservation without much payoff, for a place of limited significance in his life story.. seems... like something that could only survive as a passion. These folks seem to be asking 'help us fund our passion'... which I guess is ok, if you are clear on that :)

Yes, that is what I tend to view this as. And if people want to help out a passion project, then that is one thing.

I think the importance of it has been overstated and I feel badly for Dusty because he has stuck himself right in the middle and people clearly aren't showing the passion that his employers have for it.

HMF

Put it this way. Multiple measles-incident threads have been started on MiceChat (a much more Disneyland/California-based forum)... and most of them have been derailed or shut down from all the anti-vaxxers complaining they're being unfairly criticized, or trying to loudly justify to the whole forum their decision not to vaccinate.

Anti-vaxxers aren't just abundant in California, they're abundant on MiceChat. A parent's decision to risk taking their unvaccinated child to Disneyland is one thing, but to be a Disney fan that takes your unvaccinated children every week with your annual pass... that's something else.

(Sorry mods)
It's really scary.

WDW1974

Original Poster
This is the first time I've heard that Miceage bought Walt's birth-house and is trying to pass it off as something worthy of "historical merit."

There's no other way to put it. This is really, really, really, really creepy. Jane Eyre creepy. Rebecca creepy. On the "obsessing over a long dead person whom one has never met to the point where one tries to recreate the conditions of said dead person's life so that one may like, interact with said made-up conditions and then imagine that the ancient deceased would be there to enjoy it with them" scale, this is Jimmy Stewart in Vertigo-level creepy.

And I thought the hagiographies of the man was bad. Here it's just incrementally more...unhealthy.

No, Micechat did not buy anything nor did, as far as I know, anyone from the site. Todd/Dusty went to work for Super 78 Studios last year and its owners purchased the home and plan to renovate it and turn it into a museum, part of the time anyway, and a private residence the remainder. I am not overly comfortable discussing anything further, although those are the most pertinent facts as far as this discussion goes.

the.dreamfinder

Yes, that is what I tend to view this as. And if people want to help out a passion project, then that is one thing.

I think the importance of it has been overstated and I feel badly for Dusty because he has stuck himself right in the middle and people clearly aren't showing the passion that his employers have for it.
You have to wonder what kinds of numbers a MiceChat backed drive could have pulled for the museum down in Marceline. There you have an organization with a track record and a much clearer connection to Walt and Roy.

Last edited:

WDW1974

Original Poster

WDW1974

Original Poster
You know you spend too much time on Disney fansites when you take several minutes trying to figure out what Disney acronym "BLT" is in a historic Disneyland context (certainly not Bay Lake Tower), before finally realizing it's referencing the dang sandwich.

Cheers, Spirit. Cheers.

Kelly's Diner has a BLT that Heather would kill for ...literally!

WDW1974

Original Poster
Seems like info that Bob should have disclosed this info to shareholders rather than some guy on a message board. There's a good question for the meeting

Some guy?!?!

Show some respect. Besides, I have better sources in China than Bob does ...and I am not even kidding. It is now 2015 and while I have seen pics of Michael Eisner on site at SDL, I have yet to see one of Bob Iger or Jay Rasulo or Tom Staggs. Hell, I don't think I've seen one of Philippe Gas and he is Disney's lead exec there.

flynnibus

Premium Member

Unfortunately I had not heard of it until it was mentioned here... because they do not post any article links anymore in the forums in their misguided approach to try to force everyone to their landing page. Which I refuse to open regularly because I can't take all the crap and noise I have no interest in. But hey, look at how many WP comments they get now! *rolleyes*

WDW1974

Original Poster
Ah heck, you've just spilled the beans on my next project!

I will volunteer two days a month, provided you provide me with lunch and a healthy snack. I will play Flora and wear a dress that is period appropriate and (sadly, fanbois) leaves everything to the imagination.:eek:

My suggestion to you would be to advertise it here as the inspiration for Disney Springs. :D

WDW1974

Original Poster
The Disney Parks Blog did put out some construction photos...The battle scene of Pirates looks amazing.
http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2015/02/first-look-shanghai-disney-resort-images-revealed/

Nah, it looks like it could be promising IF it lives up to that art. People are hungry for details, even people who will never visit (unlike yours truly), and here's a little bit. I have high hopes for this, but worry they'll rely too much on screens and projections.

But we will see. This isn't Tim Delaney's Pirate Mountain ride that was created for HKDL.

PhotoDave219

So, The Weatherman yet again teases fans about Star Wars products in the parks ...and they lap it up just the same. Maybe he isn't as out of touch with them as I think?

Yes and no. He's out of touch in that the fans want this "NOW" while he doesn't want to make the CapEx until the movie comes out.... He has to make sure it's a worthwhile investment.

Of course it's the highest grossing IP ever when you add up movies, toys, games, etc. I've bought it on VHS twice and DVD once.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Agreed 100%, and I've had the same thoughts. I posted on another message board once: "on the internet, everyone has a voice...but if everyone is talking, who's listening?". Everyone suddenly thinks their brain-dead, half-informed, knee-jerk reaction is just as valid as everyone else's and people can make up stuff whenever they feel like because no one does their own research anymore...."ain't nobody got time for that!"

Well said.

Just because any/every one can Tweet an opinion or even post a blog doesn't mean that they should.

People have more information at their fingertips than at any other time in human history, yet so much of it is utterly worthless.

I do miss the early Internet days when very few people were able to express their opinions on much of anything, let alone spend 31 hours a day tweeting about EPCOT wall carpeting.

RandySavage

I'm waiting for the Theme Park Guy's photo update to potentially shed some light. If it isn't showing signs of construction now it certainly won't be making park opening.
Until then, here's a money shot taken yesterday from the Shanghai Daily showing Adventure Isle in the foreground and Treasure Cove in the background.
020150204004632.jpg

Magenta Panther

Yes and no. He's out of touch in that the fans want this "NOW" while he doesn't want to make the CapEx until the movie comes out.... He has to make sure it's a worthwhile investment.

Of course it's the highest grossing IP ever when you add up movies, toys, games, etc. I've bought it on VHS twice and DVD once.

Well, he's not planning on a permanent Frozen presence either, apparently, aside from that slapdash makeover of Maelstrom, and Frozen as we all know is a huge success. So even if the new Star Wars films hit it big, that's no guarantee of anything ambitious being built in the parks, at least not as long as Iger's in charge.

WDW1974

Original Poster
My thoughts exactly.
Knowing how wide, and how high, that Huff Post story was read....I have to think it played (is playing) a part in Iger's thinking.

It did hit on that very basic point about what is Disney today (and, obviously when talking about who will replace Bob) and what it will be even five years down the road.

And added another nail in the coffin of CEO aspirations for Jay and Tom.

BTW, just want to repeat that I believe Jay will get the No. 2 role before this fiscal year is out. And that it won't mean a damn thing unless Bob gets hit by a bus (Disney, of course) before his contract is up.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Works for me, don't think I want to go just for opening (seems like it's ripe to be overwhelming), but I'll gladly go several weeks later when the bugs are worked out...

We'll see though, there might be a certain appeal of going for opening just for the experience and coming back a few weeks later at the end of a trip.

You've done past park openings... is it really worth it?

Honestly, there is no easy answer or, perhaps, one answer for all. I don't remember much from EPCOT because I wanted to experience the place and not watch ceremonies (I was a kid who wasn't planning on being a fan for life at the time!) I also didn't realize that ephemera was a thing back then and not the recovering hoarder I am now, so I didn't grab 250 of every paper item to sell on eBay today.

Disney-MGM was so much fun as I got to meet Michael for the first time and watch him yell at Jeffrey for not wearing a nametag and see all sorts of celebs who truly were a big deal in the Hollywood history sense.

DCA ...was ... Well, I had gotten food poisoning or norovirus the night before at the media/celeb party (very different from today's blogging-whorefests). I barely made it a few hours in the park and almost puked on Paul Pressler, who I knew, in the elevator while heading back to my room at the GCH around noon. I should have gone to the ER, but went to bed instead. Yep. Really.

I had wanted to go to the opening of DLP, but was dumb and afraid to travel abroad back then. I had to work when DAK debuted. I could have done the opening of HKDL, but wasn't missing the Emmys for it.

So, yeah, I think it's worth it if you can do it.

China is very special to me. I can't imagine missing this debut for anything. If Angie doesn't want to go, then she can stay home eating pretzels und drinking beer!:devilish: I bet she goes!:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom