A Spirited 15 Rounds ...

Stevek

And Dreamlights just got another update recently and it's looking better than ever. I'm looking forward to seeing the Christmas edition later this year for the new and upgraded floats.

My goodness...it truly does put the current MSEP to shame and as much as I enjoy PTN, I would be more than happy if this made it's way to Disneyland one day. It's absolutely beautiful.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Sometimes, you just feel like blowing it all up ... then, you sit back and wonder is there anything in this for me? To prevent me from doing so? I am very good at putting things in the vault. But is that a smart business move? I am reasonably sure if the roles were reversed, I'd be picking up the pieces. And being nice certainly isn't how you get anywhere in this bizarre America of 2017.

WDW1974

Original Poster
BTW, sorry (but not at all sorry) for the above post, even if it seems not on-topic, it is very important to the Disney fan community ... I sorta feel like jumping to the DCA/Marvel tale because it was pulled 72 hours before D23 when the company basically decided that the Eastern Gateway isn't happening right now and what might Plan B or C look like.

Marvel will be coming to DCA, but the original plan for expanding it on the other side of the Hyperion Theater, including taking everything from Muppets to Monsters to Millionaire away and expanding into what is the shuttle drop off area has ground to a halt because Disney might need to use that land for its current use for the foreseeable future.

Plan B is expanding behind Tower and taking a chunk (or all) of Bug's Land away.

Plan C is temporary overlays and festivals and entertainment until Disney can get a new agreement with the city and then expand into the originally planned real estate.

Which is happening? I don't know. Does Disney? That is open to interpretation. But much like the President is finding out that he can't just do whatever he wants (hey, a statement of fact ... not a judgement so let's just leave it!), TDA (and Burbank) are realizing the same thing with the politicians who owe debts to the citizens of the city, not simply the biggest dog in town.

This is going to be one to watch. It also turns out that this situation likely (still awaiting confirmation on this) played a role in the Bobs rush to get Guardians Tower done as quickly as possible. It could be quite a few years before we see more substantial Marvel product in Anaheim. You have to wonder how impotent this is making The Weatherman feel.

Last edited:

Absimilliard

Thank you for your notes about TDR @WDW1974 ! I was there last January and I share nearly everything you say. The staffing, entertainment, etc. One cool thing I picked up the last time at the music store in Ikspiari was the last Tokyo DisneySea music set. I already had the original CD, but there was one important new song on it: the epic theme to the Tower of Terror.

Its incredible the impact that some songs can have on a show or attraction. The last time I openly cried at Disney was when I was waiting to board Soarin a few years ago. Why? The End Theme to the Rocketeer came on and it flooded me with happy memories of Space Mountain at Disneyland Paris. Back in the De la Terre a la Lune days, 10 songs composed the indoor waiting line music loop and it was one of those. What song in a waiting line has the same impact for you?

nevol

Well, the biggest failure was building it without getting the Disney Channel in ... but once it was built, design choices.

Lands don't flow. Things are just dropped in. I had a long discussion with a friend about this, he has been there too, and he is more forgiving than I am. The entry is just dumb. A train station sans a RR? I will say this forever, as our current Prez threatens war with two nations at once, but Small World is part of the DNA of a MK park. It is a universal message as well as a people-eater and cheap for an E-Ticket and I can't believe they left it out and are not planning on adding it, unless something changed drastically.

You have a giant castle, but there is no obvious way to get to it from the GoI. Fantasyland wastes land and vistas with Crystal Grotto (which also has some show quality issues and is exactly what I told people it would be years ago, an updated take on Storybook Land). There is no berm, so Disney Town flows into Tomorrowland and totally reminds you that the story being told is "I'm in a theme park."

I truly would have loved to have been in concept and planning meetings for this project.
Any details on Bob Weis? He wasn't heading up Imagineering when construction started but I think he was in charge of SDL? aka is Imagineering in good hands, even if P+R isn't?

Second question: If they want to make money with zero effort, they could start selling alcohol in all the parks rather than charge for FP. Just my opinion.

nevol

BTW, sorry (but not at all sorry) for the above posts, even if they are not on-topic ... I sorta feel like jumping to the DCA/Marvel tale because it was pulled 72 hours before D23 when the company basically decided that the Eastern Gateway isn't happening right now and what might Plan B or C look like.

Marvel will be coming to DCA, but the original plan for expanding it on the other side of the Hyperion Theater, including taking everything from Muppets to Monsters to Millionaire away and expanding into what is the shuttle drop off area has ground to a halt because Disney might need to use that land for its current use for the foreseeable future.

Plan B is expanding behind Tower and taking a chunk (or all) of Bug's Land away.

Plan C is temporary overlays and festivals and entertainment until Disney can get a new agreement with the city and then expand into the originally planned real estate.

Which is happening? I don't know. Does Disney? That is open to interpretation. But much like the President is finding out that he can't just do whatever he wants (hey, a statement of fact ... not a judgement so let's just leave it!), TDA (and Burbank) are realizing the same thing with the politicians who owe debts to the citizens of the city, not simply the biggest dog in town.

This is going to be one to watch. It also turns out that this situation likely (still awaiting confirmation on this) played a role in the Bobs rush to get Guardians Tower done as quickly as possible. It could be quite a few years before we see more substantial Marvel product in Anaheim. You have to wonder how impotent this is making The Weatherman feel.
Dead. Honestly I would prefer they wait until the Gateway works and implement Plan A. DCA is the definition of Plan B and C. The last thing I want is another rushed job that we will be discussing the replacement of in another 15 years' time.

BrianLo

I actually like Plan B better - once they pulled the trigger on GoTG: Tower, it makes more sense for it to occupy Timon lot/Bugsland than to become disjointed with the backlot.

Of course I also want to see the Gateway eventually happen and the Backlot to also get used. DCA needs all of the above, just maybe not two separate Marvel lands and temporary crap.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Thank you for your notes about TDR @WDW1974 ! I was there last January and I share nearly everything you say. The staffing, entertainment, etc. One cool thing I picked up the last time at the music store in Ikspiari was the last Tokyo DisneySea music set. I already had the original CD, but there was one important new song on it: the epic theme to the Tower of Terror.

I never knew about the music store at Ikspiari and sorta discovered it when the other half was buying clothes in the shop nearby. I wound up with the TDS 15th Anniversary double set and it is just beautiful. It calms me down when I need it. I also bought Dreamlights and Happiness is Here CDs. I could have spent $300 on music alone (well, no, she would have killed me!)

Its incredible the impact that some songs can have on a show or attraction. The last time I openly cried at Disney was when I was waiting to board Soarin a few years ago. Why? The End Theme to the Rocketeer came on and it flooded me with happy memories of Space Mountain at Disneyland Paris. Back in the De la Terre a la Lune days, 10 songs composed the indoor waiting line music loop and it was one of those. What song in a waiting line has the same impact for you?

I don't tend to cry at theme parks much. But music is transportive. I feel that way listening to Compass of Your Heart. I feel like the five times I rode Sindbad wasn't enough! It is such a feel good song.

nevol

OK, going to attempt to talk Disney ... we'll see how that goes.

I have to leave a bit of mystery as someone just told me something very troubling regarding Anaheim's future and I have sent out missives to a few people who might be able to tell me whether it is accurate. I think it is ... and it is very, very troubling (not like what is going on the country troubling, but in a theme park kind of way troubling).
I'm going to collapse.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Any details on Bob Weis? He wasn't heading up Imagineering when construction started but I think he was in charge of SDL? aka is Imagineering in good hands, even if P+R isn't?

Bob, best known as lead designer of the now totally dead Disney-MGM Studios as well as the fall guy for Disney's America (and lead on the never built Disney-MGM Studios Europe), came back to WDI almost a decade ago. Depending on who you talk to, he came back to fix DCA because it borrowed so many attractions and concepts from the parks he worked on, because his wife needed medical insurance for a serious ailment or because he was told if he 'fixed' DCA he could lead SDL. My opinion is it was all of the above.

SDL is ... I'd like to write a book on the project. Maybe I should? It was a mess from negotiations onward. It is still a mess now completed and opened ... of course as Old Dead Corporate Symbol Walt said, "SDL will never be completed as long as there is imagination in the world if not the Imagination pavilion at EPCOT." It is a very strange mix and I can't stress this enough, it doesn't flow like any of the other castle parks. It oozes over a very large land mass. I still greatly enjoyed it. But I am a theme park fanboi. In the last year, I have visited every Disney park that exists except for HKDL, every UNI park in the USA, as well as Knott's Berry Farm in CA. and Phantasialand in Germany. I also have stayed at four Disney resort hotels, one UNI resort hotel and taken a DCL cruise. In other words, I think I know the products out there before bringing in the people I happen to have as friends and/or sources here.

SDL is a very strange animal.

BTW, a friend was there this weekend. Said the place was overcrowded and trashed.

But did you have a specific question and Bob and how SDL was built?

Second question: If they want to make money with zero effort, they could start selling alcohol in all the parks rather than charge for FP. Just my opinion.

That isn't a question. It is a ... fact. They are doing that already. Try to spend time at WDW and not trip over a pop-up bar or cart selling booze (leaving out restaurants and bars). We are 10 days away from the earliest start of Food and Wine Festival ever (because WDW wants to get people to visit on Labor Day Weekend, a holiday with declining attendance over the last 20 years). Booze sells.

But you will be paying for FP, one way or the other. I just want people quoting it here when they make announcements. And I would expect first changes by next year.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Having just visited Disneyland and using the parking garage there is no WAY that resort can continue with the current infrastructure for the next 5 years. I am honestly scared for what the "solution" will be when star wars land happens.

It's a total mess. And I haven't been in almost 11 months now. That was during a slow (yes, there still are a few) period. Parking was a nightmare of driving around and waiting ... at least we only paid one day as we had a CM in the car the other two days.

I am trying to ascertain what their solution will be. I sorta expect Micechat to write something on the subject this week because this is a subject they should own. Al Lutz would have had something up over the last 4-5 days!

WDW1974

Original Poster
Dead. Honestly I would prefer they wait until the Gateway works and implement Plan A. DCA is the definition of Plan B and C. The last thing I want is another rushed job that we will be discussing the replacement of in another 15 years' time.

I worry. I really do. DCA 2.0 had a master plan and while it was neutered some ... it still was a great success. Now, they are destroying the good stuff bit-by-bit and making moves that make little sense. One wonders if Pixar Pier was done to keep John Lasseter (sober or drunk) from going crazy because they do plan on removing the Bug's Land. All of this reeks of desperation, much like WDW, which continues to be run (as it has for ALL of Iger's tenure) like they are going out of business and not a money-printing factory.

nevol

But did you have a specific question and Bob and how SDL was built?

Moreso just curious if you think WDI is in good hands or if we have another Vaughn on our's.

Guardians being rushed before the gateway fell apart just es me off even more. Not a fan of that project, and was eager to see the rest of the expansion in the hope that it would begin to make sense. Now, it's like we just lost TOT in vain.

Let me guess on the resort/infrastructure front; parking lot / bridge plan is a no-go, so they are postponing the hotel too. Cue the cheap overlays.

nevol

I worry. I really do. DCA 2.0 had a master plan and while it was neutered some ... it still was a great success. Now, they are destroying the good stuff bit-by-bit and making moves that make little sense. One wonders if Pixar Pier was done to keep John Lasseter (sober or drunk) from going crazy because they do plan on removing the Bug's Land. All of this reeks of desperation, much like WDW, which continues to be run (as it has for ALL of Iger's tenure) like they are going out of business and not a money-printing factory.

Bob has done an incredible job turning the company around, but parks are not his strong suit. He talks about parks fitting into the equation as a place where content created in other divisions becomes immersive experiences. What he doesn't seem to understand, or P+R perhaps, is that parks ARE content. They sell themselves, when they are good. That Imagineers are content creators. This seems to be completely foreign to everybody. DCP, in comparison to the studios, the animation divisions, lucasfilm, marvel, and WDI, doesn't create content; they just capitalize on it. They are completely soulless and couldn't survive without content created elsewhere. Parks are mistaken as an extension of DCP, a place to extend revenue from the film platform. But it is both that and a place where content is created and where creative leaders need to be (and aren't) taken seriously. I want what's best for the parks, but a few blunders might be necessary to really get the company to change course. Pixar Fest hopefully tanks summer attendance, though I doubt it will. Parks are too expensive and permanent to make mistakes in. And ironically the mistakes they continue to make are driven by frugality. What goes around comes around!

HMF

Moreso just curious if you think WDI is in good hands or if we have another Vaughn on our's.

Guardians being rushed before the gateway fell apart just ****es me off even more. Not a fan of that project, and was eager to see the rest of the expansion in the hope that it would begin to make sense. Now, it's like we just lost TOT in vain.

Let me guess on the resort/infrastructure front; parking lot / bridge plan is a no-go, so they are postponing the hotel too. Cue the cheap overlays.
We lost Tower of Terror in vain regardless of what else they do with Marvel. I pray that the Bobs are completely out of the picture come 2019.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
BTW, sorry (but not at all sorry) for the above post, even if it seems not on-topic, it is very important to the Disney fan community ... I sorta feel like jumping to the DCA/Marvel tale because it was pulled 72 hours before D23 when the company basically decided that the Eastern Gateway isn't happening right now and what might Plan B or C look like.

C'mon its the Bob's - Plan C it will be as they are good at financial engineering and little else

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Worry not young padawan, WDW will do BOTH.

Christian Fronckowiak

In the Parks
Yes
Like Pixar Pier?
Bob has done an incredible job turning the company around, but parks are not his strong suit. He talks about parks fitting into the equation as a place where content created in other divisions becomes immersive experiences. What he doesn't seem to understand, or P+R perhaps, is that parks ARE content. They sell themselves, when they are good. That Imagineers are content creators. This seems to be completely foreign to everybody. DCP, in comparison to the studios, the animation divisions, lucasfilm, marvel, and WDI, doesn't create content; they just capitalize on it. They are completely soulless and couldn't survive without content created elsewhere. Parks are mistaken as an extension of DCP, a place to extend revenue from the film platform. But it is both that and a place where content is created and where creative leaders need to be (and aren't) taken seriously. I want what's best for the parks, but a few blunders might be necessary to really get the company to change course. Pixar Fest hopefully tanks summer attendance, though I doubt it will. Parks are too expensive and permanent to make mistakes in. And ironically the mistakes they continue to make are driven by frugality. What goes around comes around!
The worst thing would be folding P&R under Consumer Products.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom