A Spirited 15 Rounds ...

5thGenTexan

Why wouldn't you take kids to Europe or Asia?

As to your flight search, it all depends on how flexible you are ... $5800 is quite high and I am SURE you can fly to France for less.

A few reasons....

Last Summer we went to DLR for a week. It wasn't long after we took off (their first plane experience) that the complaining began. It wasn't because they were bored but their heads were hurting. 3 hours of your kids with head pain and nothing you can do about it is bad. I can just imagine 8 or 9 hours of that plus having to stay in their seat for that amount of time. We live in the country and their are used to spending almost of all their time outside playing. Making them endure the flight for a trip they honestly wouldn't appreciate nor care about wouldn't be fair to them. I am one of those different parents where I don't make my kids do something just because I want to. Sometimes I just have to do without.

Another...
We just got back today from visiting Carlsbad Caverns. They really enjoyed the trip and my 9 year old daughter kept asking "Is that a mountain?". We absolutely must get to Colorado so they can see what mountains are. I grew up with 2 week camping trips to Colorado and I know they would love it. We also have to get to the Grand Canyon. The point is, there are tons of things we can do here even without getting on an airplane.

They have been on two Disney cruises, been to DLR, and we visited the MK for a day during one of the cruises. For their ages I feel they have had a good dose of Disney. I was 12 years old before I got to go to WDW the first time in 1986. They NEED to know Disney is not the only vacation there is.

One day they will travel overseas, but not till they can appreciate it and deal better with the transit part.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Last Summer we went to DLR for a week. It wasn't long after we took off (their first plane experience) that the complaining began. It wasn't because they were bored but their heads were hurting. 3 hours of your kids with head pain and nothing you can do about it is bad. I can just imagine 8 or 9 hours of that plus having to stay in their seat for that amount of time.

Did you not give them gum/etc to encourage chewing to help with the air pressure equalization? My favorite.. just plug your nose and close your mouth.. then blow like you were blowing up a balloon. Your ears will instantly go the other way.. then swallow.

Today with all the entertainment on board... long flights are much easier than before. Watch 2 movies and people are plenty tired to sleep. I used to worry about it too.. but honestly 3hrs vs 9hrs.. it's not a whole lot different. I've done 14hr flights AFTER another 5+hrs.. and that was a long trip, but not so much for the airtime, but the body drain of being on travel for that 24hrs straight was tough.

RSoxNo1

No. This is resort and infrastructure related. I am answering this just to prevent endless speculation (see Indy thread about something that is very unlikely to happen and would be years and years away if it did).
I suspect it's related to the parking structure and lack of moving walkways and escalators.

Edit: And evidently opening on time, great job Disney. This should have opened with DCA.

Astro Blaster

IMG_9443.JPG
That is exactly what I am hearing and wondering about ... this sounds very, very ignorant and bad. The resort has been a parking nightmare since the 50th Anniversary a dozen years ago ...
Yep - this was 8:30am on a Wednesday back in March

SoManyWasps

First, another dig at the pig Bob Iger. The insecure little CEO (closing in on being a billionaire) likes to control the narrative and those reporting and writing about his company.

He's been at war with top media financial analyst Richie Greenfield for a few years and now he is stooping to fanboi crap by ... well, you read this:

http://deadline.com/2017/08/bob-iger-fed-up-most-vigorous-wall-street-disney-critics-1202151202/
The thing that really worries me about Iger is the fact that there is absolutely nobody better in the pipeline to replace him, and the kinds of CEOs who are actually consumer friendly (Craig Jelinek of Costco comes to mind) would never take the job. It saddens me that Iger could be the best advocate for the parks we get in the CEO chair at Disney for some time.

the.dreamfinder

Gonna say it again, automated parking structures are the future. You can fit more cars into a more compact garage without forcing guests to hunt for parking spots. A structure the size of mickey and friends could hold twice as many cars. Whether Disney would ever have the courage to do it remains unlikely.

trainplane3

First, another dig at the pig Bob Iger. The insecure little CEO (closing in on being a billionaire) likes to control the narrative and those reporting and writing about his company.

He's been at war with top media financial analyst Richie Greenfield for a few years and now he is stooping to fanboi crap by ... well, you read this:

http://deadline.com/2017/08/bob-iger-fed-up-most-vigorous-wall-street-disney-critics-1202151202/
Pfft...what a baby. It's the internet, blocking one source of criticism will just open up another one. Put on your big boy pants, get that suit on, don't forget the tie, and just deal with it.

SoManyWasps

Pfft...what a baby. It's the internet, blocking one source of criticism will just open up another one. Put on your big boy pants, get that suit on, don't forget the tie, and just deal with it.
There's a weird obsession in the American business community about controlling the tone of all dialogue about their company. Weirder still is the desire among some consumers to defend the awful decisions of a company they claim to love (Lifestylers are not the sole example of this).

5thGenTexan

Did you not give them gum/etc to encourage chewing to help with the air pressure equalization? My favorite.. just plug your nose and close your mouth.. then blow like you were blowing up a balloon. Your ears will instantly go the other way.. then swallow.

Today with all the entertainment on board... long flights are much easier than before. Watch 2 movies and people are plenty tired to sleep. I used to worry about it too.. but honestly 3hrs vs 9hrs.. it's not a whole lot different. I've done 14hr flights AFTER another 5+hrs.. and that was a long trip, but not so much for the airtime, but the body drain of being on travel for that 24hrs straight was tough.

Yeah, they had gum and we told them about swallowing, but this was different. Its was actual an actual headache, and not ears. Also lasted the whole flight till we landed.

I am not even sure watching movies would keep them occupied. They want to get up and move around too much. My kids aren't the sit around and play video games type... I have to call them in when it gets dark because they had rather be outside playing than in the house.

5thGenTexan

Spirit you are talking to 5th generation Texan I'm shocked they leave Texas at all..because the rest is just "Ain't Texas" I know I lived there over 10 years ;)

Its a good thing I done did learnt to read and whatnot so I could see you was talkin bout me. :rolleyes:

I have been to 23 states, 9 countries. I wish I could travel more, but money, time, etc sometimes get in the way for some of us.

Thanks for noticing though, even if it was just looking down your nose.

tirian

There's a weird obsession in the American business community about controlling the tone of all dialogue about their company. Weirder still is the desire among some consumers to defend the awful decisions of a company they claim to love (Lifestylers are not the sole example of this).
No kidding! We all admire much of the WDC, but why would we defend bad decisions as if we were personally affected? There's something psychologically wrong with someone who needs to defend everything the company does. It's operated by humans. Humans make mistakes.

Over the last few years, Iger has displayed the same stubborn delusion as another famous public figure.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Gonna say it again, automated parking structures are the future. You can fit more cars into a more compact garage without forcing guests to hunt for parking spots. A structure the size of mickey and friends could hold twice as many cars. Whether Disney would ever have the courage to do it remains unlikely.

Not bad but Japan does it way cooler

andysol

This is the type of thing Walt would've jumped on to show off like the Monorail and Peoplemover.
I see one of these everyday driving to work in my country bumpkin, behind the times state of Texas (right @5thGenTexan) :)
Caravana has "car vending machines" and you purchase a used car online and go pick it up with a customer code- never even have to talk to a person if you don't want to.
58f9244053b23.image.jpg

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Are you surprised? Richie is telling the true tale of Disneys finances which are ok and trending down. But Bob wants the market to think Disney is the next Google.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Wait...the new garage center might not go up? How stupid is the company becoming.

Think finance driven not stupid, that new carpark will probably cost $100 million or more because its in southern CA, Media networks income is declining at an accelerated pace and TWDC has increased the share repurchases.

That money has to come from somewhere and since DL is packed all the time that carpark is a non essential expense

If you look at things with the realization that Wall St is Disney's real customer it makes sense

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom