A Redistribution of [Wealth] Fastpass+

xstech25

I absolutely hated the old Fastpass system and was sour on MM+ for all the same reasons (I was one of those "I wish they would just get rid of it" people) - up until I actually got to use it.

Arrived at the Magic Kingdom at 6pm a few weeks ago and got Fastpass for Winnie the Pooh, Buzz Lightyear, and Space Mountain - all at once literally right after I stepped in the park. Say what you want about the magic bands and mymagic+, and Buzz may not have had a long line anyway at 9:30pm, but it definitely made my night MUCH more enjoyable as well as all 3 days at WDW. Sure we did have to wait like 10-15 minutes for Pirates instead of it's usual walk on, but getting FP+ for Pooh and Space Mountain when we got in the park that late definitely made it worth it. Having these capacity monsters like Haunted Mansion, Little Mermaid, and Pirates on the FP system helped manage the crowds in the park bigtime and the lines still weren't really that long for any of them.

The new system is better in every way and its much better managed - 3 days of MM+ may have made me jaded, but the old system seems arcaic to me now. It actually kind of sucks living in Santa Ana and being an annual passholder at Disneyland, knowing i'm going to go there when it's packed and not have the ability to use FP+.

natatomic

I absolutely hated the old Fastpass system and was sour on MM+ for all the same reasons (I was one of those "I wish they would just get rid of it" people) - up until I actually got to use it.

Arrived at the Magic Kingdom at 6pm a few weeks ago and got Fastpass for Winnie the Pooh, Buzz Lightyear, and Space Mountain - all at once literally right after I stepped in the park. Say what you want about the magic bands and mymagic+, and Buzz may not have had a long line anyway at 9:30pm, but it definitely made my night MUCH more enjoyable as well as all 3 days at WDW. Sure we did have to wait like 10-15 minutes for Pirates instead of it's usual walk on, but getting FP+ for Pooh and Space Mountain when we got in the park that late definitely made it worth it. Having these capacity monsters like Haunted Mansion, Little Mermaid, and Pirates on the FP system helped manage the crowds in the park bigtime and the lines still weren't really that long for any of them.

The new system is better in every way and its much better managed - 3 days of MM+ may have made me jaded, but the old system seems arcaic to me now. It actually kind of sucks living in Santa Ana and being an annual passholder at Disneyland, knowing i'm going to go there when it's packed and not have the ability to use FP+.

I have had similar luck when going to MK, and for that, yes, I like it. But - and this prevents me from being 100% on board with FP+ - that does not happen at any of the other three parks. And you pretty much mentioned the reason why in your post. There are a ton of high-capacity (and plenty of low capacity) rides at MK. Not so much at the other parks.

I'm just curious, for all the people complaining about fastpass+, do any of you remember what it was like without any fastpasses whatsoever? Cause I vividly remember waiting 4 hours in the blazing sun, in the middle of July, to get on Splash.....

BigTxEars

I'm just curious, for all the people complaining about fastpass+, do any of you remember what it was like without any fastpasses whatsoever? Cause I vividly remember waiting 4 hours in the blazing sun, in the middle of July, to get on Splash.....

No way....things were perfectly paradise like before FP was introduced....everyone knows that WDW should never ever try anything new.....to change anything......ever....never.....ever..... :)

Maerj

We were in WDW in May and used FP+ and there were days where we barely had any wait times at all. It worked very well for us.

devoy1701

Is there a way to get more than just 3 FPs a day now? If I use up all of my FPs and I see that an attraction still has some available for later in the day, can I snag some? I tried this 2 weeks ago when I was at EPCOT, but I had 19 people attached to my account since I was at an office outing and gave up rather quickly because I kept getting error messages.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Is there a way to get more than just 3 FPs a day now? If I use up all of my FPs and I see that an attraction still has some available for later in the day, can I snag some? I tried this 2 weeks ago when I was at EPCOT, but I had 19 people attached to my account since I was at an office outing and gave up rather quickly because I kept getting error messages.

Yes, one at a time after your initial 3 are used.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I'm just curious, does anybody remember a time when families would do other things at WDW besides trying to jam in as many rides as they could in one day? I remember it quite well and I dont recall ever waiting 4 hours for Splash. Not saying that didnt happen, but we never waited that long because there was sooooo much more to do back then OUTISDE of the parks.

From 1989 to 1997 I lost count how many times my parents took us to WDW. 3-4 times a year at least. My Mom would use the Birnbaum guide as our planning tool which had the basics for park touring such as 'arrive early and hit the big rides' or 'the left queue is usually quicker'. There was no FP, no MB, no dining plan, and no ADR's. It may seem impossible to believe, but we actually had an amazing time each an every trip without all these technological tools. (i prefer to not call them 'advancements').

I remember doing things on our trip that would seem silly or a waste of time by todays "Disney experience" standards. We would spend a entire day on the beach at Poly and then rent sprite boats to explore the lake. We would go mini golfing every trip. Discover Island was awesome, we would spend hours there. We would go see a movie at the theater at night. We went fishing, I think my sisters did the horseback riding a few times. We loved Pleasure Island and going to Superstar Studios to make a music video (that was extremely fun and watching the videos we made is hilarious).

One of my favorite memories from those trips was when the whole family went to see Star Trek VI : The Undiscovered Country. When Spock and McCoys 'doctored' missile blew up the Klingon ship, the whole theater stood up and cheered and my brother, mom, dad and I were high fiving each other and cheering, even my sisters who were not Start Trek fans got into it. (sorry for the spolier, @PhotoDave219). A great memory (of many) that has nothing to do with the parks or attractions or character M&G's. It was just different back then. Of course Disney was still all about the benjamins, but you were not force fed images of making memories strictly by little johnny hugging Mickey or dear old grandpa joe swirling around Dumbo with the "my life is complete" expression. They didnt need FP+ to disperse the crowds because families would actually vacation and do other things besides plan every nano second of their trip to maximize riding, eating, and parades. But yes, I do remember the days before FP and MM+ and NGE and those years were some of my favorite trips and the memories are about family, not about wishing I could move through the queue more quickly or thoughts of "when will they build the next E ticket". Not to mention the parks were immaculate back then, and CM's still had pride in their jobs and wanted to make your day magical. (theres still a few of them today though). Dont mistake this as trip down memory lane either, and Im not conjuring up artificial memories strictly for my love of "the golden era", its not, I still have a blast at WDW, I just have to use my smart phone more than I would like to.

Last edited:

doctornick

I'm just curious, does anybody remember when a time when families would do other things at WDW besides trying to jam in as many rides as they could in one day? I remember it quite well and I dont recall ever waiting 4 hours for Splash. Not saying that didnt happen, but we never waited that long because there was sooooo much more to do back then OUTISDE of the parks.

Was there "so much more" back then? You can pretty much do all the same things today that you mention in your post. OK, you can't go to Discovery Island, but exploring DAK is certainly a valid substitute for that. Otherwise, there really is no reason that guests can do all the relaxing stuff you mentioned since they are still present at WDW.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Was there "so much more" back then? You can pretty much do all the same things today that you mention in your post. OK, you can't go to Discovery Island, but exploring DAK is certainly a valid substitute for that. Otherwise, there really is no reason that guests can do all the relaxing stuff you mentioned since they are still present at WDW.
Sure, you can do things outside the parks but do they advertise it? Do they have commercials promoting doing things that dont cost money like spending the day on the beach at Poly, oh wait, that wouldnt be much fun right now. Show me the add (that you dont have to a google search for) about fishing at Disney World, FYI its $455 for four hours of fishing. Im pretty sure thats not what my parents paid even if you account for inflation. I get your point and I agree that a family can still do may things outside the parks, my point is that Disney does not want you to. They do everything possible to keep you in the parks spending money. Sure, they make FP+ and the new FP ticket for Anna and Elsa M&G seem like its to help you not wait in line, but its more about getting you back out there to spend, spend, spend. And thats fine, I get it that they want me to spend money and I gladly would but everything is almost the same in every shop or its outdated merch and I can only eat so much in one day. Sure I can buy a painting for $2,000 that is unique or a harley davidson biker jacket at DTD but thats not what I have in mind when I want quality Disney merchandise.

The family vacation experience has changed. Perhaps Disney manipulated it to be this way, perhaps it was the guests who wanted more rides and parades, I have no clue and I know WDW is not just for my family and me and that it will continue to evolve. I just wish they did a better job of helping families realize its not ONLY about the parks, I wish someone in the building that the Dwarves hold up had enough of a soul to actually care just a little bit about family values.

PhotoDave219

I'm just curious, does anybody remember when a time when families would do other things at WDW besides trying to jam in as many rides as they could in one day? I remember it quite well and I dont recall ever waiting 4 hours for Splash. Not saying that didnt happen, but we never waited that long because there was sooooo much more to do back then OUTISDE of the parks.

From 1989 to 1997 I lost count how many times my parents took us to WDW. 3-4 times a year at least. My Mom would use the Birnbaum guide as our planning tool which had the basics for park touring such as 'arrive early and hit the big rides' or 'the left queue is usually quicker'. There was no FP, no MB, no dining plan, and no ADR's. It may seem impossible to believe, but we actually had an amazing time each an every trip without all these technological tools. (i prefer to not call them 'advancements').

I remember doing things on our trip that would seem silly or a waste of time by todays "Disney experience" standards. We would spend a entire day on the beach at Poly and then rent sprite boats to explore the lake. We would go mini golfing every trip. Discover Island was awesome, we would spend hours there. We would go see a movie at the theater at night. We went fishing, I think my sisters did the horseback riding a few times. We loved Pleasure Island and going to Superstar Studios to make a music video (that was extremely fun and watching the videos we made is hilarious).

One of my favorite memories from those trips was when the whole family went to see Star Trek VI : The Undiscovered Country. When Spock and McCoys 'doctored' missile blew up the Klingon ship, the whole theater stood up and cheered and my brother, mom, dad and I were high fiving each other and cheering, even my sisters who were not Start Trek fans got into it. (sorry for the spolier, @PhotoDave219). A great memory (of many) that has nothing to do with the parks or attractions or character M&G's. It was just different back then. Of course Disney was still all about the benjamins, but you were not force fed images of making memories strictly by little johnny hugging Mickey or dear old grandpa joe swirling around Dumbo with the "my life is complete" expression. They didnt need FP+ to disperse the crowds because families would actually vacation and do other things besides plan every nano second of their trip to maximize riding, eating, and parades. But yes, I do remember the days before FP and MM+ and NGE and those years were some of my favorite trips and the memories are about family, not about wishing I could move through the queue more quickly or thoughts of "when will they build the next E ticket". Not to mention the parks were immaculate back then, and CM's still had pride in their jobs and wanted to make your day magical. (theres still a few of them today though). Dont mistake this as trip down memory lane either, and Im not conjuring up artificial memories strictly for my love of "the golden era", its not, I still have a blast at WDW, I just have to use my smart phone more than I would like to.

KHAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNN!!!!!

doctornick

Sure, you can do things outside the parks but do they advertise it?

Oh, I don't disagree. I'm just saying that by and large all those things are still there. Disney doesn't promote them so much, but they exist. If one doesn't want to focus on running from one ride to the next, there are great opportunities to relax and do a whole bunch of varied activities without even leaving the WDW property.

I just bring it up because we do see people bemoaning that they hate having their vacations so overscheduled and hate having to feel like it is rushing from place to place but there is no reason for that. If FP+ blues are getting you down, take the time to relax at the pool or rent a boat or go for a carriage ride or go mini golfing or watch a movie outside. The type of relaxing stuff is still there and should be enjoyed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom